1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

05 Jetta TDI worn Camshaft lobes and flywheel/transmission problem

| 
RickR4 RickR4
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/17/08
11:34 AM

I have an 05 (new body style) jetta TDI with 83,000 miles on it and not only did the flywheel come apart and ruin the transmission but they also discovered the lobes on the camshaft were worn and the cylinder head needs to be replaced. I bought this car new, drive it to work each day and do NOT abuse it in any way. VW says they have never seen this before but do not admit it must be a manufacturing problem. They did help out with the repair and sell me the parts at a discount but it still cost me over $7,000 (US), has anyone else heard of this problem?

The really odd thing is the car was running perfectly and just started to make a weird sound (like a baseball card in bicycle spokes).

Do I have any further recourse with VW? Is there someone I can appeal to to get some of this paid for by the factory?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick.Rufini@gmail.com  

75thRanger 75thRanger
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/29/09
05:47 PM

Yes 05 did them sane here in spain and vw fixed the hole thing for free. I drive 295km per day and have over 300.000 miles on it. at 100.000 this happen to me. you must be forcealbe to vw and make them pay for it 03-06 have the same trouble. in the states the same thing do not let them off the hook on this .it is a mang-dif in the mortor and they know it.. good luck...  

TDI2006 TDI2006
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/07/10
05:55 PM

Confused Hi Rick

My name is Yvan I am from Ottawa Canada and I have the same problem as you with 200000km and I talk to V W in Ottawa and they told me they never saw this before and they would not pay for this.I talk to VW Canada and they told me the car was not under warranty any more I would be curious to see how many TDI 2005 & 2006 have a problem like us and if we could get a list of all the owner and present to VW and show them it a common problem. At the garage were i fix my car the guy is not even a VW dealer but sepcialized in VW only and he already repaired 2 with the same problem and both had chrome lifter all the car with black lifter no problem VW want to save money that why they went with the chrome lifter.

Thanks
Yvan  

yvanlalonde@rogers.com  

thesnide1 thesnide1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/18/10
08:12 PM

My 2006 Jetta TDI has a worn cam lobe and very loud dual mass flywheel at 91000. The car had 5000 mile synthetic oil changes. Most used 505.01 oil. Dealer says the wear is normal like it is pair of brake pads. This is not normal. I have seen a lot of high mileage motors that have better cam lobes than this. Even the markings on the base circle look like poor cam grinding The PD is not a 300,000 mile motor.

I pulled the valve cover off my 2004 Passat TDi with 118,00 miles to find 4 worn lobes. I can’t tell id the wear is accelerating.

Between the two TDI's I am looking at $3000 in parts and 21 hours labor for 2 cams and a flywheel. Volkswagen has let me down.  How many unsuspecting owners of PD motors accept this as isolated problems?  

tabithatyler tabithatyler
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/26/10
05:57 AM

Hello all! I am having this same problem with my 06 Jetta TDI! I am freaking out! I'm not sure what to do! I bought this car because I was supposed to be able to get 200, maybe even 300 thousand miles out of it! VW says how reliable and dependable they are but in the end are they really??? My Jetta has 94,000 miles on it and they are telling me right now it needs $3,600.00 worth of work! When it was just three months old the bolt that holds 5th gear on sheared off and went through the transmission. @ 35,000 miles I had to pay $550.00 to have the back brakes and drums replaced!!! I drive 100% interstate 162 miles per day. My car is in no way shape or form miss used or abused, I really do love this car. It’s comfortable and just nice to drive. I can’t afford to spend $3,600 on a car that is only 3 years and 6 months old!!! Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Very frustrated!  

Wendy06 Wendy06
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/21/11
11:14 AM

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that I bought brand new in 2005.I have 113,000 miles on it .I have maintained it very well. I have had lots of repairs done since. (A/C compressor,Sensors,Timing belt,blown fuses,& more)
I now have it in the shop with broken fly wheel and wore camshaft,lobes & another A/C compressor.(5,000.00)
The dealer said that this is a common problem on the 2005 & 2006 Jetta's. The Camshaft did not harden properly when it was made.We called VW and they would not do anything.  

jousley jousley
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/17/11
12:46 PM

I have an 06 Jetta TDI with about 115000 miles.  We did the flywheel/clutch replacement at about 80000 miles. We went by dealer recommended maintenance and let the dealer replace the timing belt and repair a few little issues($3,500 US)in March 2011.  Less than two months later we have rounded front and rear lobes on our camshaft ($2,400 US).  Got the VW toll free number (800-411-6688) from our dealer.  Wish me luck.

Would appreciate any positive news from anyone that had support from VW on this.  I love the car (40 mpg, clean, comfortable) but it's really souring me on VW.

Thank you.

Jim
jousley@actcfl.org  

sgtwill0928 sgtwill0928
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/17/11
07:37 AM

Rick
I have a 2006 tdi and have experienced the same problems. Fly wheel came apart at 25000 miles and now the cam shaft and turbo need replaced at 104000.  VW was willing to give me 1000.00 toward a new car. Just not sure I want another VW after this experience. Not sure if the new low sulfer fuel might be the cause of the cam problem. 5600.00 for repair

Sgtwill0928@yahoo.com  

GPeel GPeel
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/08/11
05:59 AM

I have a 05 tdi jetta, It has been at the YW dealer for 3 1/2 months now, already paid $5400.00 for camshaft, roller rockers and lobes, they gave us a est then ended up changing the injectors also and they could not charge us for it because it was not in the est. I wrote to VW. NOW, they have burnt up the starter trying to crank it, and coolant is going in the motor and going out the tailpipe, they have NO idea how to fix it. they called us last week and said if we give another $3000.00 they found another motor(not new i dont guess) for $6700.00 they would put $5100.00 towards it and we pay $1300.00 for installing it. or we can trade, I am afraid of another VW. It only has 119,000 miles on it. Just do not really know what to do anymore. All we need is the transmission  prob like some of you have. any suggestions?
Thanks, Georgene  

lynnie lynnie
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/11
07:06 PM

Our 2006 Jetta TDI is currently at the VW dealer/shop for the same thing.  We originally took it in for a hissing noise and shudder at 1800 rpm.  We were told the problem was the egr cooler and would cost $800 to fix.  We agreed to have that done and also decided to have the timing belt replaced since the car had almost 80,000 miles.  This cost another $900.  When we picked the car up, the Emissions Workshop! message appeared on the dash and then the exhaust warning light came on.  The dealer/shop was closed for the day, so we drove it about 5 miles and black smoke billowed out the exhaust continuously. The shudder was still there and the exhaust warning light did not go off.  We took it back to the shop and left it with a note describing the new issues that we had not experienced before.  It took them 3 days to figure out what the problem was:  lobes worn off camshaft...and they wanted another $3800 to fix it.  We did call VW, because we felt a car with less than 80,000 miles should not have this problem.  VW's response was that it was our problem.  Well, we are finished with VW.  

lynnie lynnie
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/11
07:12 PM

Like others; our car has been driven exclusively on the interstate, has had the VW-recommended oil changes, air and fuel filter changes, and received Standyne diesel additive every fill-up during the winter and every third fill-up in summer. We feel we have not abused our car in anyway.  It was also never driven when the temperature was below 10 degrees F (we drove a gasoline car during the coldest part of winters). Mad  Mad  

GPeel GPeel
Posted: 08/01/11
07:57 AM

We called VW also, they are trying to trade vehicles with us we told them we do NOT want a VW, a used Honda or Toyota. I lost ALL respect for VW also. VW corp said the dealer would call us last fri. nothing yet and its Monday. We are fixing to talk to a lawyer to see what can be done. We would even get our money back. I cant see that happening though. What did u decide to do on your car?  

Jrath Jrath
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/03/11
08:29 PM

I bought a 2005 Jetta TDI and have had nothing but problems. Replaced the transmission at 7k miles (under warranty), dual mast flywheel at 150k and now worn cam lobes with an est repair cost of ~$6,500. I'm through sinking money into this car. Car was never abused and brought in for all of it's scheduled maintenance. Hope others read this forum and heed our warnings.  

joel45 joel45
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/11
Posted: 08/05/11
11:25 AM

Rick,

I had a 2006 Jetta TDI with the dual clutch automatic.  At around 65,000 miles, I also began hearing the rattling noise at an idle.  The local VW dealer recognized the sound immediately as a failed multi-part flywheel.  The replacement cost was estimated to be $1,500.  I also needed a transmission fluid change ($500) and brakes ($500), so I decided to trade the car.  I will never have another Volkswagen product.

joel45  

GPeel GPeel
Posted: 08/08/11
08:52 AM

Joel45, Yea the transmission oil change price is rediculous.. we had it done to. It has been 4 1/2 months now they have had our car. They dont know how to fix it, just change motor. We are waiting to talk to a lawyer before we call them back, which Corp said THEY would be calling us back (that was a week and a half ago). I just dont know...  

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
15695 - 30875
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan