Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2 or 4 tires

| 
Pete Caritis Pete Caritis
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/08/12
09:38 AM

In the Automobile tire test for the Charger, the author didn't mention if 2 or 4 tires were used for the summer, all season, and winter tire test.  With tire prices what they are today, do you recommend the use of 2 or 4 winter tires mounted on an AWD vehicle in a snow belt state??  Whatever your answer, which tire would you recommend for the new Subaru Crosstrek (essentially a raised Impreza)??  

Gary_at_Tirerack Gary_at_Tirerack
Administrator | Posts: 26 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 10/10/12
05:41 AM

Tire tests are always in sets of four unless otherwise stated as vehicle are designed to have four matching tires.  

As for winter tire recommendations, these will vary from country to country as different products are offered worldwide.  If you're in North America, feel free to post your tire size and I can make a recommendation.  If you're in another part of the world you may want to seek out advice from local shops to see what is available in your region.  
<br>

Please refer to 'Gary/Motortrend' as your previous contact when you order online.

Gary@Tirerack.com

Gary_at_Tirerack

Posted: 10/10/12
10:58 AM

Tire size is 225/55 R17 95H for the Subaru Crosstrek.  I'm 30 miles due west of Pittsburgh, PA.  My larger concern is if there is even a need for winter treads since this is an AWD vehicle and while the hilly area in which I live is a problem for lots of cars, I've seldom gotten stuck.  The streets locally are largely plowed within 6 hours of any major snowfall while local interstates are usually the problem largely because of ice more than snow.  After reading the Automobile article and seeing the unbelievable difference in all seasons vs winter tires I am questioning the cost vs benefit of a purchase.  My heart tells me that it is better to be safe than sorry, but my brain says that a thousand bucks is a lot of money for 4 winter tires.  In any case I will most likely purchase them based on your recommendation for this vehicle.  Thanks for your consideration.  

Gary_at_Tirerack Gary_at_Tirerack
Administrator | Posts: 26 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 10/11/12
08:42 AM

While you're less likely to get stuck with an AWD vehicle, an AWD car has no advantage in braking distances over a two wheel drive vehicle.  The vast majority of accidents are not caused by vehicles that are stuck, but by those who could not stop safely or predictably remain in control of their vehicle.  

There is no need to spend $1000 for winter tires.  Prices in 225/55R17 start around $120-$140 per tire for good choices like the General Altimax Arctic and Continental Extreme Winter Contact.  Even top choices like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 are under $150 per tire.

Winter   http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=VZ3&url=/winter/index.jsp  
<br>

Please refer to 'Gary/Motortrend' as your previous contact when you order online.

Gary@Tirerack.com

Gary_at_Tirerack

Posted: 10/11/12
11:27 AM

Thanks so very much for your patience and recommendations.  They are very much appreciated.  

mpeterson734 mpeterson734
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/04/13
12:17 AM

If you're in Northern united states, you can publish your wheel dimension and I can make a suggestion. If you're in another world you may want to search for out guidance from regional stores to see what is available in your area . . . . . . .

Click Here  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/04/13
12:19 PM

agree with pete caretes!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice