Ad Radar

Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

What air pressure should you use in your tires?

| 
Gary_at_Tirerack Gary_at_Tirerack
Administrator | Posts: 26 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 06/08/12
09:29 AM

Many drivers understand it's important to monitor the air pressure in their tires. Improperly inflated tires hurt fuel economy and cause irregular and/or rapid tire wear in addition to posing safety problems.  

It's recommend to check your tires' pressure at least once a month and before any long trip. Who really marks their calendar each month with a reminder to check tire pressure? I'll plead guilty that I don't. Instead, I check mine each time I wash my car.

You've got your air pressure gauge in hand and air compressor ready, but some will ask, "How much air pressure should I have in my tires?" Logic might dictate that one would simply check the sidewall of the tire, much like you do on a bicycle tire. However, this would be incorrect. The tire size used on your vehicle is also used on other vehicles and the recommended air pressure is different depending on the vehicle. For example, it may surprise many that a 2006 Acura MDX SUV uses the same tire size as a 2010 Chrysler 300 sedan.

Remember that the pressure listed on the sidewall is a maximum pressure only, not a recommended pressure. Instead, use the air pressure recommended in the vehicle's owner's manual or tire information placard label. The placard is typically found in the driver's side doorjamb, like the example in the photo above.

For more information on properly setting your tire pressure, read "Checking Tire Inflation Pressure." here:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=8&affiliate=VZ3  
<br>

Please refer to 'Gary/Motortrend' as your previous contact when you order online.

Gary@Tirerack.com

Gary_at_Tirerack

DelfinAshley DelfinAshley
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 06/27/12
11:09 PM

I will suggest to check the same with the good tire installer because they knows what works and which fits the best.  

Umang Kumar Umang Kumar
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/19/13
12:26 AM

Hello Friends,

Internal tire pressure will also vary with the ambient (outside) air temperature. Hot weather raises air pressure inside the tires, while cold weather lowers it. So air may have to be added or vented from the tire to compensate for seasonal variations as well.
Use an accurate tire gauge to check your tires. Don't rely on the built-in gauge on a gas station air hose or compressor (which tend to be very inaccurate). And never rely on your eyeballs alone to "judge" the amount of pressure in your tires. The sidewalls on radial tires typically bulge quite a bit even when the tire is properly inflated. If you keep adding air until the bulge is gone, the tire will be seriously overinflated. Likewise, don't wait until the tire is nearly flat to add air. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between a tire that has 10 lbs. of air from one that has 20 lbs. of air. Use a gauge to check the tires regularly, and add or vent air as needed to keep the pressure within a couple of pounds of the amount recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Thanks and Regards,
Umang Kumar  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/05/13
11:18 AM

u must check the same with new tire installer  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice