Ad Radar

Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

Have you ever noticed something about classic car meets?

| 
Harvey- Harvey-
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 04/19/12
02:50 PM

This is a rant I had over at Motor Trend's forums, and I thought I'd also share and get some input from a forum I frequent about as often as I do a bar (that is to say, very infrequently).  That way i can get your takes on it, as many of you don't really know me or my style, thus your having a more fresh perspective.  Here' goes:

It bugs me that when all the old guys with their Americana classics like shiny El Camino's and Model A's (and those posing PT Cruisers with murals and neon lights underneath) have their get-togethers, and always ignore me. So what if I drive an import? Those PT Cruisers have Japanese based (Mitsubishi) engines and were made during the Daimler reign of Chrysler, making it semi-German. You wanna talk screwed up?

I'm taking interest in your old tales of nostalgia and appreciating the beauty of your cars, only to feel like an outcast because my Japanese car (which takes classic American cues like the beauty rings and white letters* of their era). Vehicular appreciation can be shared outside of cliques, and these guys always seem ready to be just as big of jerks as the youngin's that own up to their stereotype of ignorance and disrespect of the classics, and their seasoned drivers.

Everyone who is really honestly into cars has some sort of respect for the others. Every generation is different, but not too much. Back in the '50's and '60's, guess who invented street and drag racing. NASCAR was started through rum- and moonshine-running. So tell me again, why do they have this sense that their time was somehow more noble and respectful? I'm an old soul, and recognize that historically people are generally the same now as they were before, just with a few new toys.

So the main question here: What are the shows and get-togethers you see most often in your area?  Do they ever meld the different tastes together in one show?

As Source Interlink-- Automobile's parent company-- would prove, there's a butt-load of different enthusiasts.  And we all know that.  But why can't local shows try and combine them a little more?  I think some shows are a wider base and corporately backed (Pep Boys and SEMA come to mind), so they encompass more of these types in one area.  I just wish it were more accepted that there are different types of enthusiasts.  In my area we have festivals, and usually it's only classics and nothing more.  I'm willing to bet those festivals would benefit from expanding what they have on display.  The same might be said for many of your areas.

*Just some idea's of my car, and the subtle (somewhat redneck) tweaks she has.
Scaled
Scaled
Scaled
Scaled

If you can't spot a few of the changes, the B-pillars were shaved of the peeling accent stickers, the bottom plastic of the front bumper (and the rear valence) were painted black as opposed to stock gray, the Toyota badge under the rear drivers-side tail light was moved to the front grill, I have 14" beauty rings from our '87 Ranger mounted on the stock steelies (white letters were put on by hand), and the tail-light housings (not the lenses) were painted mostly black, with silver accents to give back some nice contrast and brightness back for safety.  The difference can be seen next to the white Echo.  So yeah, mostly just cheap personalizations, but it's my own.  It's not likely to be shown at a car show as a beauty queen, but maybe as a quirky cult car that never gets love, and takes an owner who actually wants to show that anything, no matter what, has a few fans.  Because that's what car shows should be about: the owners relationship with their car.  Without the owner loving their car, the car has no personality-- no soul.  
----------
When life throws you a curve, downshift and take it vigorously.
Harvey-

Pheobe's@478,000-ish miles. (RIP original engine 475k)
Harvey-
Youtube

Harvey- Harvey-
Posted: 04/19/12
06:33 PM

Lively bunch.  Not many enthusiasts here, huh?  
----------
Harvey-

Harvey-
Youtube

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 04/20/12
12:29 PM

Harvey, it's just that traffic is light here.  I only wish I could say the same for city I live in too.  Otherwise, it beats me why there isn't more posters here?  I've always liked Automobile Magazine and have read it since the very first MR2 vs Fiero issue.  So much for both of those cars and Pontiac too  Tongue I was surprised when GM gave Pontiac the ax.  I sure could understand why Olds is no longer and Saturn to a certain extent too.  
GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES
Austin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.Cooper

Harvey- Harvey-
Posted: 04/26/12
04:58 PM

Maybe it's because there's such a round-about way to get here.  Click "Community" and then there's a tiny little forum button way up top.

For the whole shows thing, I understand it's just the different mentalities and everything.  But sometimes there's just something that needs to be done.  The PT's got me upset, and then I went to another show up in Sacramento last weekend-- muscle, classics, and then two Smart Convertibles.  So I walked over to the officer on the eastern side and said "Ya know, if they can have a couple smart cars, I can have my Echo.  She's got 447,000 miles on her and has some little personable tweaks."  So regardless of being a little dirty and grimy, I he let her in (somewhat apprehensively), but there she stayed for four hours.  There were a few jokes, but nothing too bad.  I went in expecting far worse, and some of the owners were cooler.  Maybe because I showed guts in sneaking it in there.

Guys over at Car & Driver's forums ("Backfires") were equally polarized as some of the Motor Trend guys.  Some are die-hard Americana guys, or classics.  I just feel that there should be some more spice for those who want it.  There were a couple stops by the Echo, and some enough noticed the miles I have written up on top of the windshield.  Others were digging the Smarts.  Boats float different ways-- but give them the option.  Mine needs some more work, but there were others there in the same way.  Car shows should be about getting together and sharing stories, dreams, and the little details you've put into the car.

What's more, buying a brand-new Challenger or Camaro shouldn't count, either.  My car is at least out of production and has been through plenty of hell of it's own.  Not some under-warranty retro-mobile.  But again, I may be a little biasedTongue  
----------
Harvey-

Harvey-
Youtube

Posted: 04/27/12
12:45 PM

My only beef about the shows I go to is as much as I like what I see there, it's always the same type of cars.  Can't say I see somebody showing of their Messerschmitt there, even though I have spotted them on the streets.  I don't want to get too stereotypical here by naming what I usually see there, I'd just like to see something different.  As for the people showing them off, they don't bother me.  Long ago my grandfather did the same thing too.  He stuck with the antiques such as 1908 Buick, etc. and loved his rides.

By the way Harvey I find your choice for your avatar very interesting and quite original too.  Grin  

Harvey- Harvey-
Posted: 04/29/12
08:07 PM

Oh, yeah that.  At Motor Trend I was making "lines" that would start with a couple... a shoulder and roof.  Then it'd work it's way until someone guessed what it was.  That's my set for Pheobe.  We did everything from Camry's and Sedona's, to obscure exotics.  It was inspired by the way Infiniti did their ads.

Hqdefault

So it'd start sorta like this:
Scaled

And when it was guessed, we'd show the full lines, and then the photo we used to draw them.
Scaled
Scaled

The purpose was to take the mundane and bring out what the designers put into them.  For the Paseo, who knew it had so much.  The lines really do cut through the lights like that.  Same with the Echo.
Scaled
Scaled

All the little creases come out, and you can see how they line up in the op pictures.

And until a couple nights ago, I never noticed how the hood and front fascia of my dads Sonata Limited line up so well.  Very complementary (I'd just washed it).

I could go on so much about car lines-- we did hundreds of sets.  
----------
Harvey-

Harvey-
Youtube

Posted: 04/30/12
02:07 PM

It's tough to guess a lot of cars if you just go by the lines.  Most SUV's, pickups and a lot of mainstream vehicles made today would stump me.  The Echo is easier to spot though, thanks to its awkward stance.  I can understand why Toyota gave the Echo the axe after only 1 generation. The looks on its replacement, which I believe is the Prius, since they did make a Prius out of the Echo, are nothing to look at either.  Although the Echo look was traded for a safe dull look.  It's not often but sometimes Toyota makes some awkward looking cars:
Lexus Sc430 02  

Harvey- Harvey-
Posted: 04/30/12
02:22 PM

Actually the Prius and Echo are very different.  The chassis had a couple similarities, and they both have 1.5L engines (but again, some differences), they aren't the same vehicle or class.  The Yaris was the Echo successor, just as the Echo was the Tercel successor.  I still can't quite get into the 2003-'05 Echo, or most Yarii.  Just not the same.

Scaled
Scaled
Scaled
Scaled
And then there's the newest Yaris (the SE), which finally adds actual suspension and interior performance tweaks.
Scaled
Scaled
^Three generations  
----------
Harvey-

Harvey-
Youtube

rippstik rippstik
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/29/12
09:39 PM

Cool Echo Harvey! I have a similar '02 echo sedan in Blue. I love the car, and it has been very reliable. Gotta love those echos!  

zacharyrizzuto@gmail.com zacharyrizzuto@gmail.com
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/04/12
11:53 PM

It's not likely to be shown at a car show as a beauty queen, but maybe as a quirky cult car that never gets love, and takes an owner who actually wants to show that anything, no matter what, has a few fans. ?  

nole1 nole1
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 12/06/12
10:01 AM

I've owned a couple of Toyotas, and they were great cars.  Problem is, most are considered to be appliances by both the drivers and the company.  When was the last time that Toyota really came out with an enthusiast's car?  MR2?  Celica?  Supra?  Now they have a joint-venture car with Subaru, but they've lately become the Japanese version of a 90s Buick.  

As for the Echo, I think a few things might need to be done to draw interest on yours.  Some nice rims (sorry, but steelies work best on old trucks) would really help.  I like the color, but maybe some custom paint- stripes, scallops or pinstripes might work.  I'd go with something tasteful that actually lengthens the look of the car.  Tinted windows (a must in South Florida) would really look great.  As for the interior, custom seats or a modified dash might help.  

Your Echo stands out mainly for its advanced mileage, but other than that, it doesn't look much different than the rest of the parking lot.  The steelies actually kind of look like spares, and I think slightly wider blackwalls would work better.  Maybe they don't give your car respect because they don't see much effort beyond basic upkeep.  Clean is HUGE at any car show.  When you wash the car, get into the wheel wells and shine up the dash and rims.  A fresh coat of wax always stands out.  I even armor all the insides of the wheel wells and the rubber splash guards.  Get into cleaning the engine bay, and shining it up as well.  Just keeping it REAL clean EVERYWHERE goes a long way at a show.  A dirty car gets no respect unless it's a Rat Rod.  

Yo also asked about our areas.  They have lots of VW shows in Florida, some with hundreds of cars.  As for Japanese machinery, they have lots of tricked out Civics and Mitsubishis too.  They tend to be lowered with wide tires and big spoilers and coffee can exhuast pipes.  Exotics are big down here for those that can afford it, and Corvettes are as common as Camrys (my friend has a black Z06).  They even rent the expensive stuff here.  Ferraris and Lambos rent for $1500 a day and up, and I even rented a Mercedes CLK430 for my wedding in 2001 to cruise South Beach with the top down after the reception.  

As for foriegn cars, I prefer sporty cars.  Miatas are one of my favorites, and I still wish I never had to sell mine (family).  That said, I'll have another one day.  I do like old Benzes and Bimmers, but can't imagine the upkeep.  I also like older Porsches.  One of the best looking cars I've ever owned was a VW Karmann Ghia.  I've also had a few Beetles.  

If you've got relatively recent machinery that was marketed as merely transportation, you need to make it stand out to be noticed.  Otherwise, it's just an appliance to the car guys.  

angelisbell angelisbell
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/13/12
05:19 AM

I do not have one because it takes big bucks to buy the kit! Ya, I most likely could afford it if I really wanted it--same reason I do not have a Corvette--not willing to spend the big bucks to get it.  

nole1 nole1
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 12/14/12
09:31 AM

The Yaris is actually a common tazi in Peru.  Much roomier than most down there, especially the Daewoo Ticos.  Plenty of customized ones down there; much of it homemade.  

ejnichol ejnichol
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 12/16/12
05:53 AM

The Echo hasn't been out long enough.  Its not attractive enough too most car show people to attract positive attention.

Look at the Echo in line at a car show objectively. Its about as interesting to me as the Smart Car though. It looks to be well cared for which people who like cars would respect.  

It would be more notable at a fuel economy themed/e friendly type show.  At a conventional classic car show its like trying to belong when it doesn't. Its unique but just too ordinary and cute withough being a real looker.  

DanTTshowbiz DanTTshowbiz
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 12/23/12
03:41 PM

Harvey, it's because your car isn't the "normal" enthusiast car. I can see why you are enthusiastic about it because that car is HOTT, but don't let those old guys and their El Caminos get ya down! Wink  
------------------------
The extra T is for extra talent.

Cars Past
-'86 Mazda B200, 5spd
-'06 Chevy Cobalt LS, 5spd
-'09 Kia Rio, 4spd auto
Cars present
- '06 Mazda Speed6, 6spd

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg