Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

All electric & hydrogen fueled vehicle questions

| 
barmil barmil
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/18/11
08:17 AM

I live in the north east with were whether conditions can be challenging.

My questions come from the livability of an all electric vehicle will stand up to
what mother nature will throw at it. Such as how does the vehicle generate heat to defrost windows and heat the interior. I know about the heated seats but what about the defrost system or cabin heat? What kind of range can I expect out of the batteries under these conditions?
The other questions is traction control at start up, how do you put immediate maximum torque to the drive system on ice?

How does each manufacturer address the listed problems.

I like the idea of an all electric vehicle but I see these questions as a serious draw back to being a practical means of universal conveyance.

I also have thoughts on the use of hydrogen as a fuel.
What I want to know what is keeping it from becoming a reality, BMW had some huge success stories with hydrogen, what happened?  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 10/18/11
08:52 AM

I think you're better off living in the South East for the time being if you're going to invest an a all electric car.  Don't even think about it if you're way up in Maine or somewhere around there.  Cold air has never been an electric car's friend.  Instead of going electric, for the time being play it safe and buy a plug in hybrid. Toyota will have the plug in Prius soon and Chevy already has the Volt.  
Austin Cooper

andrewj27 andrewj27
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/23/11
03:06 AM

Cold whether conditions are not a friendly to electric vehicles, i would suggest just go with plug in hybrid.  

barmil barmil
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 12/05/11
06:02 PM

Thank you for the inputs,I feel like it's 1972 allover again, having to scrape the inside of the windshield and the outside just like I did with my VW type 3 station wagon,at the time it was no big deal you expected that. However in a $40,000.00 car I expect a little more creature comfort not being a Chilly Willy for the sake of being a little green!

By the way I didn't buy any thing electric. I am sticking with my 99 Audi A6 Quattro,and I am going to run it until it drops dead.It might not be stylish and cool but it is paid for.  

saifeye saifeye
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/12/12
02:14 AM

Yes, sometimes cold weather becomes the obstacle for you, take it in mind.  

scottmilan scottmilan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/28/12
11:41 AM

Yes, I am also facing this problem in winters..  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice