Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

1996 Lincoln Town car start problem

| 
Rod2 Rod2
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/30/08
02:00 PM

Started problem about 3 years ago. Wouldn't start about once every 2 or 3 months. Used quick starting fluid and it would start, then problem would repeat in another 2 or 3 months. Had it to Lincoln dealer twice. They couldn't find anything. Wouldn't start about 6 months ago even with quick starting fluid. Independent shop towed car and replaced fuel pump. Two weeks later wouldn't start. This time it didn't have spark. Called same shop and they replaced flywheel pickup. Two months later car wouldn't start used quick start fuel and it started. Every time, except twice, problem would occur only after the car had sat overnight or longer. In addition, every time except that one time it would always start with quick start fluid.
Any suggestions what to look for?  

dj420 dj420
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/06/08
11:21 AM

your problem could be your starter relay switch, i have had this problem with a couple of my lincolns and thats what it was, it cost maybe $10 for the switch and is easy to install  

lincoln2 lincoln2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/25/08
12:41 PM

I have  2001 lincoln town car which has been running great. I went outside to start it and it turns over and over and will not start. Any suggestions??  

lincoln5 lincoln5
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/23/11
02:27 PM

I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car and I have that exact same problem! After it sits for a long period of time, it will start. I drive it to my destination which is around 25 or 30 miles and then shut it off. I try to turn it back on after I shut it off and it turns over very well but it will hardly ever actually fire up! It is very frustrating! I then have to wait 10, 20, even 30 minutes until it starts back up again. I have taken it to many professionals and they cannot figure it out. I even went to an electronic automotive shop and he says there was nothing he could do because it was starting right up for him every time. (As with every other shop I have taken it to.) It has a fuel filter & fuel pump that are just around 6 or 7 months old. I will check the relay switch under my hood. I heard that O'Reillys or Auto Zone can test my computer in my Lincoln and get some sort of flashing light code. I then type that code into google and it will identify the problem and will lead me to a website that have other people who have the same problem and can offer suggestions. I need some serious suggestions on what in the world this could be.  

waynep7122 waynep7122
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 07/25/11
08:23 PM

hi... i don't get to this forum much..  but i would throw an ignition switch at it...   they are usually around 20 bucks... look like this...

i would also rent or buy a scan tool... that displays live data stream.... with that you can monitor the various sensor activity...

you can also set it up to record the data stream when the failure happens (Manual record )or when the check engine light turns on .(automatic DTC record.)

these ignitions switches can go intermittent ...

i have also had intermittent problems with the EFI main relay and with the fuel pump relays...

i have had an even harder to find problem .. where the relays have bounced around and loosened the terminals in the relay sockets allowing intermittent contact...   think of a power outlet in the wall.. that gets plugged and unplugged dozens of times.. the grip on the sides of the terminal blade is not what it should be...     ford actually has a spring scale test with individual terminals to test the grip of the terminals.. after matching them for thickness...  i normally use a fine tipped probe behind the tongue of the female terminal to tighten the grip on not just the relay terminals but on the various fuses also...

if you have a digital volt meter i have a few more tests for you...  if you can get it started....

set digital volt meter to 20 volts DC...  start engine.. turn on headlights...

1.   measure between the positive battery post and the negative battery post...   14.1 to 14.7 volts is expected

2.   measure between the negative battery post and the engine block...         0.04 volts is expected..

3.   measure between the negative battery post and the body............     0.02 volts is expected.

4... measure between the engine block and the body...   ....................0.02 volts is expected...

please post what results you get...  this test only takes about 2 minutes..

this is where i start at any car that has starting problems...

do you carry a timing light????   when it fails.. can you hook the timing light up to any spark plug wire and see if you are getting spark.../??????

so far.. i have mentioned that you might want to buy a new ignition switch..  under 20 bucks usually...  and IN stock at most parts stores... for some reason...

and doing a voltage drop test...   cost 0 .. meter .. under 20 bucks if you don't have one..  

coyie coyie
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/08/11
08:03 PM

hello guys I am new here  

NickO722 NickO722
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/28/12
05:48 PM

I have the same exact problem with my Lincoln. Did you ever find a solution? The problem is intermittent for me in that it can start fine for months and then not start after I turn it off and try to restart it. When the problem surfaces, I bring it to the dealer and naturally, it starts every time. I appreciate any insight as it is a very frustrating problem. The AAA guy said it could be the fuel pump. Nick  

Bear1977 Bear1977
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/22/12
03:41 PM

My car will not start, I have already replaced the battery, alternator, fuel pump relay, and neutral safety switch. I have had someone look at it and he says i am losing power somewhere between the key and the starter, possible electrical problem, please help.  

cheezejg cheezejg
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/04/13
09:32 AM

Did you ever get your car fixed?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice