Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Kill one brand ? Buick or Pontiac?

| 
david.yochum david.yochum
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/26/08
03:16 PM

With spy shots of the new Buick LaCrosse (which should resemble the Buick Invicta concept, below) floating around, what struggling GM brand would you kill if you had to choose between Buick or Pontiac? Is it too late to win over younger Buick customers? Or has Pontiac lost too much of its "performance" image to even be relevant?

(Buick Invicta)
2008 Buick Invicta Concept Front Three Quarter View  

bayviewwilliams bayviewwilliams
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 06/30/08
09:21 PM

I would kill Buick. I don't care about Tiger Woods. I don't care how well the Enclave or whatever sells. I'm a 35 married male, one kid, and would never ever buy a Buick. My 62 year old father went to look at a Lacrosse, and I thought he had lost it. Pontiac is showing some spark. The Solstice is no true match to the Miata, but I am seeing plenty on the street, so there are buyers. The new G8 GT sounds pretty damn interesting too. I say keep Pontiac.  

david.yochum david.yochum
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 07/01/08
12:12 PM

I wonder who is hurting more these days, Tiger or Buick? Pontiac does have a few interesting models available, but then again, the Buick Enclave is one of the nicest crossovers around. I don't see many of them on the road, but its interior and exterior are gorgeous.

Though it hurts to say it, I'd agree — kill Buick. (Or GMC if that would help.)  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 07/04/08
01:19 PM

I'm with yochum on this one- kill GMC.  It makes absolutely no sense at this time to have a brand that only sells trucks.  Chevy and GMC trucks are so similar these days, I can't see how anyone in their right mind would pay more for a supposedly "premium" vehicle with a GMC badge.

However, this post was originally between Buick and Pontiac, and between those two, there's no question in my mind whatsoever- kill Buick.  It may have a rich history in design and engineering, but its place in today's automotive market is almost nonexistent.  Who buys Buicks anyway?  They aren't at all sporty, they aren't an economical or family-friendly choice, and they aren't very nice when compared with GM's other luxury brand, Cadillac.  

jlptwo jlptwo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/08
03:02 PM

I say GMC or Buick.  If Buick ever does succeed in getting any younger customers, it seems that they would start stepping on Cadillac's toes.  Likewise, having an entire brand selling only trucks (which are themselves endless reinterpretations of other GM trucks and SUVs) seems pretty pointless at a time like this.  But don't kill Pontiac.  It seems like Pontiac is coming back well, and should have a clear-cut market- as long as Mazda, Subaru, and Mitsubishi are sticking with their bottom line (and not trying to go for Toyota's mass appeal- although the new Impreza WRX...)  

Idiot Boy Idiot Boy
User | Posts: 55 | Joined: 12/06
07:43 PM

Pontiac is currently selling the hottest sedan in America for 30K not to mention the Solstice and soon a badass bargain 5-Series with a truck bed which is all that 99% of the poseurs who commute to and from the office in a Dodge Ram will ever need.  A few of us have just enough Mobil 1 in our veins to hold out hopes for a modern GTO and remain faithful that there are more than a handful of Americans smart enough to keep the candle burning for Pontiac. If the G8 doesn't float your boat you may as well face it you're a wanker who doesn't actually like cars.

Buick is huge in China which is a major burgeoning market so its survival is assured even though the pulse is weak here.  They need to focus on the domestic market and find themselves again because chasing Lexus is a soulless pursuit.  GM didn't rise to its former glory by doing refined-but-dull and should abandon it to those who relentlessly perfected that recipe.  Unique and passionate new American designs will resurrect Buick and Pontiac as long as people who love cars like Lutz and Welburn are steering the ship and there are enough Americans left who recognize a good design when they see it.  Credit also the Australians who remained faithful to the “American” car while America lost its way - we can thank Holden and their GM parent for helping put Pontiac back on the map.  Ford hasn’t been nearly as prescient and amazingly continues to reserve its most inspired mainstream iron for oversees when it’s needed here most.

Identifying them merely as “brands” dismisses how great Pontiac and Buick once were and reveals you likely couldn’t possibly understand how important their survival and return to greatness is to this country.  Pontiac and Buick serve as a barometer for where America is now and where it’s heading.  Much more than brands, they’re an important part of our heritage and essential to the American experience; their future strongly foretells our own.  

taildraggin taildraggin
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 07/05/08
07:49 PM

The original question is 'off' a ***

Buick should be chasing the 35-55 golf clubby set, (Lexus).  Pontiac should be chasing the 25-35 single/DINK dance clubby set (tuners).  Those are 2 very different segments and both need to be covered.  You can't drop coverage in either market.  

Neither of those badges has produced a 'proud to own' car since 1974 and when I concentrate on those brands, "Motor Trend Rental Car of the Year" dominates in my brain.

It's very hard to create a new brand to cover any market - resurrection is probably a bit easier.  But, GM has a lot of work to do.  Fast.  

Graduate, Rodan School of Automotive Design

phamanh phamanh
Posted: 07/05/08
10:14 PM

kill buick for letting the chinese have a better car  

GopherSZS GopherSZS
User | Posts: 81 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/17/08
01:10 PM

Rather than killing one or the other, GM should be focusing on what the brand says to consumers.  Speed, performance, and sporty styling, attributes a younger generation seeks, should be the goals of Pontiac. Buick should continue to focus on luxury and comfort, but improve its styling and overall image.  Appealing to someone other than retired golfers will help increase sales.  How it should be: Mazda is to Pontiac as Lexus is to Buick.  

PhillyJake PhillyJake
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 07/17/08
08:06 PM

Kill Saturn first.  It's become Oldsmobile.  Oldsmobile was killed for a reason.

The European cars can can come in as Pontiacs or Buicks just as easily as Saturns.  

94harleyrider 94harleyrider
Posted: 07/18/08
12:53 AM

Buick has been softly-sprung, old fogies cars for over 3 decades now. They can go, as there aren't that many guys left running around in polyester slacks with white belts and shoes.  GMC is another matter... what you guys are forgetting is that 90% of GMC's business is NOT making pickup trucks.  It is GM's commercial arm, making everything from UPS trucks to full-blown 18 wheeler big rigs, and everything in between.  Truth be known, it is probably one of their most profitable divisions.  

monoblocks monoblocks
User | Posts: 73 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/22/08
06:44 AM

(my musings...)

As if killing either brand will save The General's bacon. Hah. Frankly, Buick is less likely to appeal to a younger crowd simply because GM doesn't market the brand that way, Tiger or no Tiger. With plenty of boomers still sucking in and out air (myself included), it's not like there's not a readily available audience still available...at least for a decade or so. The real trick is to lure that crowd away from the Hondas and Toyotas (or just as likely, Acuras and Lexuses) that they're currently driving around in. Buicks will never appeal to the BMW crowd, but then again precious few others do, either.

Pontiac is better suited at this point to garner attention from a younger clientèle, though it still has to get past the stigma of being "domestic", something that I hear, see and read often enough from younger types. Neither brand I think has an image that is broad brush (and strong) enough to go after a wide age demographic. If GM is serious about fixing their leaking ship, I'd nominate ditching Saturn first. It replicates what Chevy and Pontiac are already doing, yet without really giving out any strong identity of its own for consumers to latch onto. I don't know anyone who claims that they are a hardened Saturn loyalist. I DO know a few individuals who swear that they'll never buy another Saturn again, however. As it's evolved, I find I understand the point of Saturn less and less. In that regard, even Olds in its death throes had a stronger (albeit, still very much on life support) contention for being than Saturn does now.

As for GMC: yeah, it doesn't make much sense to have this division in the consumer market, given the current times and the blanket repetition of product with other divisions, especially Chevrolet. Keep 'em around for commercial business clients if they must (but even this could be folded into Chevy), but GM should drop the retail consumer end. It's not like SUV sales are going to rebound any time soon, if ever.  

Furious Furious
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 08/01/08
02:20 AM

Good or bad, talks about nothing I think, tastes differ, so everybody chooses the loved one Smile  

Buick_Gurl Buick_Gurl
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/03/11
05:04 PM

Honestly comparing a Buick to Tiger Woods, he is only sponsored by Buick.I happen to adore the Buick line-up since I got my license and i am now 30. Sure they don't make them like they did in the 60's and 70's, but still a Pontiac come on now!! I love your stereotypes based on a Brand label, so are you the little boys with your PONTIAC sunfires in the school parking lot in high school I think so!!  

Buick_Gurl Buick_Gurl
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 06/03/11
05:04 PM

Honestly comparing a Buick to Tiger Woods, he is only sponsored by Buick.I happen to adore the Buick line-up since I got my license and i am now 30. Sure they don't make them like they did in the 60's and 70's, but still a Pontiac come on now!! I love your stereotypes based on a Brand label, so are you the little boys with your PONTIAC sunfires in the school parking lot in high school I think so!!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice