Hello,

Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Wow, I think I just bought a V8. Buyer's remorse setting in big-time.

| 
ChristopherModel42 ChristopherModel42
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/17/11
06:45 PM

I need to replace the truck, and around here, 4 wheel drive is really really nice to have - to avoid getting stuck.

So I pick out a relatively inexpensive full size truck.  I figured I could spend 15K on a used Outback or Forester, or 8K on a truck.  The truck will drink gas, but that would be offset by the convenience of having the truck, the safety of a full size vehicle (debatable but I subscribe to the larger is safer rationale), and the much lower up front cost.  And I do actually use the truck bed for hobbies, the kids' bikes, etc. So I went the truck route.  The numbers made sense. Well, my numbers anyway.

I came out from under my rock long enough recently to see projected gas prices hitting $5 down the road.

And I still chose the truck with the V8.

Someone tell me I'm not nuts. Please.
Did I blow it?  
Should I duck and run - and buy a Yaris, and a trailer from Home Depot, and tire chains, and a winch?
My numbers are based on this beast getting only 16mpg. What if it only gets 10 mpg? Shocked

I know this is spare change to some of you folks, but I'm, well, not poor but not wealthy by any stretch.  Ok, I'm cheap.

Anyway...what do you think.  

He had a nice 6cyl AWD E class on the lot. Hmmmm.  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 01/18/11
11:41 AM

I'm thinking the $15,000 price you placed on the Subaru's versus the $8,000 on whatever truck you had in mind would mean you'd have to travel a lot of miles before you begin to see your break even point. Of course there's plenty of other high MPG machines to choose from too.

When it comes to bigger being safer, the problem with that is Americans tend to subscribe to passive safety, which is what happens when you get in a accident.  I subscribe more to active safety, which is avoiding an accident from ever happening in the first place. For example while driving if a deer jumps out in front of your pickup truck, you'll have a much better chance of hitting it than something that stops as quick as a 911 Turbo.  
Austin Cooper

Dann_O Dann_O
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 01/24/11
04:04 PM

Well you can't be from aroudn here because trucks with 4WD get top dollar used here. How long is yoru commute? I know people who complain about not havign money who drive a large truck like that 30 miles to work. That is a lot of gas. (ironically these are the same people who say how can I afford my 9 year old bimmer that I paid about 1/2 what they paid for their trucks and get better mileage and a shorter commute.)

Day to day utility for me is not in a truck I have a wife and kid I have to drive around. I thik as uncool as a mini van is it serves most of the utility and then some and has fuel economy somewhere in between. Get what you like tow a lot of boats to feel better about it.  

ChristopherModel42 ChristopherModel42
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/25/11
08:55 PM

I hear you both.
I think i'm going to bail on this truck, even though it's remarkably capable in the recent snow we've received. I think I bought it ok and won't get burned too bad on a trade.
I need ideas.
Impreza wrx?
GTI?
Corolla S? (???)
Forrester?
Suzuki Sx4?
I enjoy driving too much, and can never decide.
Thanks.  

Dann_O Dann_O
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 01/26/11
04:30 AM

Well you know your needs better but if you look maybe you can find a Subaru Baja which would fit all your needs but they are rare and out of producton.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
User | Posts: 211 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 02/01/11
03:14 PM

Everyones' needs/wants are different. Some people wouldn't own anything buy a truck. I'm not one of them. I can certainly appreciate the utility of them, but I don't have to own a truck, just to say I own a truck. At the same time, I wouldn't own a Prius. I would consider a Volt, however. I'd also consider a Subaru WRX, which isn't the most fuel-efficient car out there, but not the worst. If you really think gas prices will go up to $5 imminently, then you should sell it and get something a little more economical. If you think that prospect is 3-5 years out or more, go ahead and keep it, and just make sure you keep everything well-maintained, keep proper tire pressures, etc. That would be your best bet at getting the best efficiency out of the truck.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice