Item Posts   

2011 RL

| 
Acuraphile Acuraphile
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/17/10
06:12 PM

FYI:

I spoke with both Acura Client Services and my dealer: they confirm that cars will be on the showroom floor end January. I was surprised to see the photo of the 2011; I fully expected a radical departure from what was depicted. 'Automobile' aside, there is no mention of the forthcoming RL in any car mag that I've read. Acura provides no hint, no tease - nothing! The new RL may just appear, unheralded, and faintly visible to the consumer. Strange company, Acura. I waited nine years for the 2005 RL model change. Nine years! What other company's design studio and production people nod out for nine years??
Let's hope that the 2011 RL is special - a true 'flagship.'  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/18/10
07:06 AM

From what I can see Honda has still kept it anonymous.  It's nice to see at least they put a 6 speed tranny in it.  Although I don't see why any of these reasons will generate much sales for the beast.  
Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
09:44 AM

Ah, Austin: if only it was a 'beast!' It looks more like a puppy. Somehow,  the mojo is missing and my expectations were somewhat dashed by the anonymous design that took six model years to configure. Additionally, the headlight problems with my 2005 RL are daunting. I noted the hundreds of complaints in that regard. I outdrive my lights - they are of the poorest quality and create a sharply defined 'curtain' of light that's very distracting as well as inefficient. That outcome was the result of nine years of model crafting - model change.

I've owned thnree Honda bikes, three Accords and three (Legend), RLs and am a Honda products hostage, by self admission. But where is my reward???  

12:37 PM

I'm sorry about my chosen slang Acuraphile, from where I stand the RL is somewhat of a beast, even if there's no comparing it to a 12 cylinder S Class, Panamera, Quatroporte, Ghost, etc. At least Honda is still remaining rational and taking a pass on 8 or more cylinders or are they?  Unfortunately I've seen talk of an 8 cylinder RL now.   Perhaps part of the reason why  the styling is so restrained on the new RL is Honda took enough lumps over the head when it comes to TL or Crosstour styling.  

From what you printed here I get the feeling you're so disappointed with the direction Honda has chosen on the RL, you're ready to look elsewhere for your next vehicle.  I don't know about the headlight problems though.  I can't remember anybody criticizing them before.  Maybe Honda will use LED's on the next RL.  
Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
01:31 PM

Re: 8 cyl. Rl: I spoke with an AW writer who claimed that Honda engineers regard 8 cylinders as unbalanced and will take a pass. However, in light of the criticism that Acura encountered because of the absence of an 8 cyl. option, they might fold in an effort to join the big boys. No, I would hate to go elsewhere. My RL has performed flawlessly. Would you believe that in six years I've only had two little defects?? The other visits were pure maintenance. As for headlights: there have been hundreds of complaints on the Edmunds Forum, and many law suits. These lights are wholly inadequate.

My other complaints are: cabin too small, too noisy, trunk too small, seats not cooled and turning circle too large. None of these should have taken place on an expensive supposed 'flagship' car.
The problem is: Acura doesn't seem to want an impressive sedan - a flagship. My grandson has a TL and I consider it to be outfitted well, but hardly a flagship entry - or even close. I would not own it, personally, especially since the 2011's have the 'plenum power' snout! What an ugly grille! Who was asleep at the switch? The car mags - and public have trashed that design. The photo depicted in 'Automobile' of the presumed 2011 RL has a modified grille, if indeed that's what's in prospect. If the 'laughing" grille is still on the 2011 RL, I will simply invest a few grand and slip in some Sylvania Silver Starreplacement headlamps, fix up the small dents, update the nav system software again and do whatever else is necessary to bring it to showroom condition. The interior is without a flaw!!Showroom new! I can live with this option.
To conclude: I don't expect any surprises.  

04:22 PM

I do understand why Honda feels pressured to stick a V8 under the hood.  It's been that way for awhile.  Americans still have their old fashioned ways too of equating V8's with luxury, power, etc.  I hope Honda doesn't cave into pressure.  Just Google "Acura RL V8" though and you'll find plenty of talk about them sticking a V8 under the hood.  Although I still can't recall reading this news in any of the car magazines I subscribe to.

With all my years of experience with Honda plus others I know who've owned them too, I have no reason to doubt the performance of your Honda's.  I'm curious to see how their motorbikes hold up too, since I've owned Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha already. I've had the most experience with the Suzuki now.  It's dependable, I can find certain items I dislike on it too though.  

Some of the problems on your RL I can live with.  I don't suppose the noise would bother me much, even it it's not as quiet as some other luxury cars.  Small trunks do annoy me though, that's the reason why I prefer hatchbacks most of the time. Large turning circles can be annoying too.  That's all the more reason why I stick with subcompacts or compacts or motorbikes too.

I understand where you're coming from about the infamous TL grill too.  Most car magazines have beaten it to death by now.  It really does cry for attention, but at the same time too it adds a sense of identity to this car too.  All you have to do is look at the grill on a BMW and you can figure out what it is.  I get the feeling Acura wants to attain that kind of image now too.  I guess they're going to tone it down on most of their other offerings.  The new RL really needs something to get it noticed though.  Maybe that's all the more reason why Honda will go with the V8  Frown At the same time too in this day and age, it's going against the grain to add more cylinders to your engine.

Since you did mention Sylvania I used their bulb in my motorcycle too.  I noticed a little difference over the stock bulb, it wasn't the night and day Sylvania wants you to believe it is though.  In fact after Sylvania burned out, I just stuck a stock bulb back in my bike.  Didn't notice much if any difference too.  
Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
Posted: 12/19/10
07:37 AM

I'm not yearning for a V-8, Austin - I would like something distinctive, though - something with a longer wheel base, to begin with. The 2005 RL looks okay, but stubby. When I was a kid, every badge was easily identified from a distance: De Soto, Packard, Lincoln Zephyr (just reborn!) - even a 'Diana,' a Moon Motors car that was around briefly. By now, you've guessed that I'm not a teenager! I'm 85+ and still love driving. These ovid shapes leave one dispirited - cookie cutting at its best. My son just leased his second big Jag. It's both sleek, and powerful, with a needless V-8, but that's what they wanted the big cat to wear under its bonnet. The interior, to me looks dated like an old fashioned living room. I don't tell Alex that, of course.
Well, we're off to Quogue to see Alex's new house.
It'll give the RL a chance to stretch its legs.
Have a fine Sunday, Austin.

- George  

12:48 PM

I understand where you're coming from George when it comes to wanting something nore distinctive.  So far the only real distinctive car or the one that really stood out that was made by Acura, was the NSX.  Even though Honda borrowed some of Ferrari's styling on it, the NSX still stands as the most distinctive Acura to date.  Otherwise Honda has been conservative with Acura styling.  The Legend which later evolved into the RL, never had looks that stuck in my head. Honda still found lots of success with it and was able to launch the first Japanese luxury division with it.  Toyota & Nissan followed Honda later with their own luxury divisions.  Mazda had plans to do it too, but decided to scrap their plans to create the Amati Motor Division at the last second.  I believe Mazda did have plans to re-badge the short lived Millenia than as a Amati.  I took one out for a drive once from Chicago all the way to the Mississippi River in Iowa.  It was pretty much in the same vein as it Acura, Infiniti, Lexus competition.  But just like the RL, it was far from distinctive at the time.

My guess is your son leased the new Jaguar XJ.  The XJ certainly has distinctive looks to it, but at the same time too, it's a big gamble for Jaguar's new owners in India.  The reason I say that is Jaguar's new owners broke the mold on the new XJ and borrowed nothing from the last generation XJ's looks.  They're taking a gamble there with their loyal following.  They might just find a new generation though who is more interested in the new XJ.  The old XJ certainly had very
distinctive looks.  While the new XJ appears to be quite sleek.  I'm not surprised it has a beautiful interior too, that's one of the things that's always made the XJ special.
2010 Jaguar XJ Interior View  
Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
02:55 PM

Austin:

Is there some means of increasing the size of the font in this forum? The letters are barely legible. My vision is pretty good but I'm having difficulty with the single-spaced 6 or 8 point font.
Re the NSX:
My wife and I were at the Acura dealer about a month or so ago and, lo and behold, there was an NSX sitting on the showroom floor!! I don't recall the vintage but it was clean and crisp. It was for sale and was within my means, but I have no practical need for it at this time in my life. It is the handsomest of cars! I think it's prettier than the Vette.

We just arrived home from Alex's new house in Quogue. My grandson and grand-daughter both drive Acuras: he, a TL and she, a TSX. They both carry my Acura gene!!

I'm curious if anyone will soon drift here and join us in discussion. Before the 2005 RL was even depicted, the Edmunds 2005 RL Forum was a hotbed of comments! - really heated discussions and often times a bit barbaric in its passion. I just subscribed again to 'Automobile.' I get C&D and AW - keeps me abreast of things.

- George  

Posted: 12/20/10
11:15 AM

George I couldn't find any way to increase the font size here.  The only thing I could think of is to use the bold print, which I did.  All I can say is if I get annoyed enough with my vision I get my vision checked.  My only other thought that came to mind is you could buy a larger monitor too.  They're a lot less expensive than they were years ago.

I guess your Acura dealer was showing off a used NSX.  It's been years since Honda produced the NSX.  It could always go back into production one day.  I agree its looks beat that of a C6 Corvette.  Although it did cost more than a Corvette while it was on the market.  I understand they're not practical too.  But good looks always come at the expense of practicality.  There's always trade offs with automobiles, no matter what you buy.  I'm more geared towards the small practical side. I understand the trade offs there too.

I can't predict who's going to use this forum George.  From what I see, the last time anybody else posted on the Acura board was about 1 year ago.  The internet is huge though, and I'm sure there's other Acura fans to be found on it.  The last Acura in my family was a TL leased by my brother 2 years ago.  You could say I drive an Acura with less toys in it since I drive a Honda Fit right now.

Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
01:52 PM

Ah, the bold print makes all the difference.
Yes, I happen to have asked the price of the NSX a long time ago and it then was over $90K!

I guess there's no way to attract comments by Acura lovers. The Edmunds Forum was entitled: "2005 Acura RL Town Hall," so it drew people interested in the forthcoming RL.

- George  

08:42 PM

Well George, I'm still happy you started this thread here.  Even if I have no plans to guy a RL, I still find it interesting to see what Honda is thinking about doing to it now.  I really wonder if Honda should stick a V8 in the RL since they've been doing a fine job in the 4 and 6 cylinder market?  But than again I really don't care if my car does 0-60 in 5 seconds. The 6.5 seconds the RL hits 60 in now is fine with me.  I know you have noise and smoothness issues too, from what I heard though Honda believes their 6 is smoother than a 8 cylinder engine.

I don't know about the other Acura lovers.  There's plenty of them around, you never know when they'll show up. Seems like most of the posts are directed in the General Automotive column here.  When I do look at the posts though on "cars by brand" Ford & Honda appear to have the most activity around here.

Austin Cooper

Acuraphile Acuraphile
Posted: 12/23/10
04:40 PM

Austin:

How do I access the 'General Automotive' column?  

Posted: 12/23/10
04:50 PM

George, I'll make it easy for you to find and give you this linkGENERAL AUTOMOTIVE FORUM  
Austin Cooper

dusbal dusbal
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/07/13
09:39 PM

thanks for all the information guys  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice