Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Big surprise with the Chevy Volt?

| 
mickeyrom mickeyrom
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/15/10
10:59 AM

They are proudly announcing that this car will now have a range of 300 miles.They also say it's now superior to the Prius.How is that? The prius only limitation on it's range is when you run out of gas.I don't understand why this can't be done on the Volt since essentially it is just a hybrid with a 84 hp gasoline engine. Shocked  

Andrew Peterson Andrew Peterson
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 10/19/10
09:56 AM

I think you're confused as to how the Volt operates. The Volt's total range is 300 miles with the same gasoline limitation as the Prius. There is no difference there.

The difference is that the Volt will travel the first roughly 40 miles only using electricity when fully charged. The gasoline engine will then kick on and burn gas, charging the battery until it runs out of gasoline. At highway speeds however, the engine engages a clutched motor to assist in turning the wheels.

I hope this helps.  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/08/10
07:10 PM

Car & Driver plus Road & Track invited me to Southbend, Indiana to evaluate a Volt back in August of this year.  It was an experience I'll never forget since I never had the chance to drive any car before while it was in its prototype stage.  
GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES
Austin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.Cooper

milton8520 milton8520
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/25/11
04:17 AM

Amazing this will be,m I am really very excited to see this one.  

mwatters mwatters
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 07/14/11
10:25 AM

The Chevy Volt is one step closer in the quest to have a vehicle run completely sans gasoline.  Thus, while it is arguably not superior to the Prius' range, it is a step in the right direction.  Hats off to Chevrolet for keeping the automobile industry moving in the right direction!  

sana@candorrecruitmentgroup.com sana@candorrecruitmentgroup.com
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/05/12
12:28 AM

I found it really informational and useful. Thanks a lot foe sharing such an interesting and meaningful article.  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/11/13
04:47 AM

m so exited to see that one!  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/11/13
04:47 AM

m so exited to see that one!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide