Item Posts   

2011 Hyundai Sonata....

| 
qmong qmong
New User | Posts: 49 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/24/10
12:53 PM

....Hello:
New to forum. Generally can be found on Trains.com fourm, for many years.
Question:  Any update data out there regarding new 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 2.0L Turbo engine...?  Understand it was to be released at late NY Auto Show, but dealer seems to have no info...At all.  I found some on Hyundai web site, but not about answer to when it will be available to the public, etc...

Qmong  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
02:26 PM

If it's still in the show stage, they're probably still thinking about it before giving it the green light.  I don't see much need for another 4 banger in the Sonata. The hybrid will probably make for a bigger pay off.  
GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES
Austin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.Cooper

qmong qmong
05:16 PM

....It has been released according of info. I've learned.  4 cyl's are the way many are going with new cafe standards looming in the future.
2.0L Turbo has 274 hp...269'# torque...and will still get fuel rating of about 22 to 34 mpg.  Performance should be quite acceptable.  That engine is to be availaible in the SE and Limited.  I'm just disappointed dealer has no data....Couldn't even confirm figures I list above.
Qmong  

06:54 PM

I took a look at Hyundai's website here Sonata Trim And they still don't have the Turbo or Hybrid engines listed either there.  Maybe they'll release one or both engines next year.  I wonder if the American public would really care that much for a hot rod Sonata though?  Currently I see Hyundai bragging in their commercials that the Sonata gets more MPG than the Accord.  It might be interesting to see what their hybrid could do then.  It would be nice if they could get Prius MPG, but since the Prius weighs around 400 pounds less, I wouldn't count on it.  

qmong qmong
Posted: 04/25/10
03:11 PM

.....I have never owned a Hyundai, but they seem to be gaining popularity with car buyers by leaps and bounds.  The new Sonata design....{pretty wild}, really needs a performance engine available, and the 2.0L Turbo would certainly do that.  I could be interested if I could combine the correct model with parts I want in an auto...Good suspension....Right size wheels / tires...Quality build....Realible performance....and they seem to really be out front with their warranty.

Question:  How does one install a pic. for an Avatar...?   Confused

Qmong  

Posted: 04/25/10
05:04 PM

When Hyundai first entered the USA, their first cars became infamous for reliability problems.  It was a good move after that to attach the warranties they brag about now on their automobiles.  Their reliability has improved since those days.  They haven't put any cars on the roads yet that I'd really like to take my chances with.  Maybe if the new Sonata could better Prius MPG, I'd think about it.  Although I prefer smaller cars, so I still can't picture myself going for it.  It could make an interesting alternative for Camry/Accord buyers if they care to take their chances though. Hyundai really needs to find a good way to hook them though.

To install a avatar pic go to the MY ACCOUNT link above. Then press the UPDATE ACCOUNT tab.  Then go to Avatar and upload a picture from your hard drive  

qmong qmong
Posted: 04/27/10
01:16 PM

Thanks for Avatar data, but I must not be geek enough to get it from "my pictures" to the Avatar location.  

Dr. Coconut Dr. Coconut
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/02/10
12:39 PM

this is like a Ghost forum, nobody is here  
----------------------------------------
05 Toyota Camry
98 Dodge Neon

Posted: 05/02/10
05:57 PM

Icon QuoteDr. Coconut:
this is like a Ghost forum, nobody is here

Actually I like this place.  I post on quite a few automobile message boards too under different names.  Actually I'd still be using this name on the VW board if it wasn't for a troll there.  Tongue Otherwise Automobile Magazine is the best American magazine that I know of.  I wouldn't mind though if they threw in some motorcycle talk in it too.  AutoWeek has been doing that lately, although I'm disappointed how AutoWeek has become a bi-weekly publication too. What's interesting is after I saw this thread I did see a family car comparo test in another magazine.  I think it was Motor Trend who preferred the Camry over the new Sonata  Shocked In fact I found it here  Shocked MOTOR TREND FAMILY CAR COMPARO TEST As you can see Motor Trend was no fan of how Hyundai supposedly tuned the Sonata more for handling than comfort.  What I couldn't understand in that test though is not too long ago I drove a 2007 Altima SL and was unhappy with how Nissan tuned it more for comfort.  To me it had that big boat feel, while Motor Trend seems quite happy with its chassis tuning  Confused  

qmong qmong
Posted: 05/03/10
09:48 AM

....I read the Motor Trend Family Car comparison tests of 7 vehicles.  Noted too, M T fellows didn't like a bit too stiff ride.  But the new Sonata did finish 3rd among 7 vehicles.
Still waiting for more info on the 2.0L turbo engine equipped vehicle...Perhaps the Limited might be the better choice if it's not too soft in handling.  Just have to wait and find out.
A few days ago I rode in a friends 2.0L Turbo HHR chevy and I was impressed with it's ablilty to push one back in the seat and still perform decent fuel milage driving a good steady over the road speed.  
Have not had experience with 4 cyl automobiles and their performance overall for personal use.  Mine have ranged from 3.0L V-6 {currently}, and up to a 427 V-8 on the other end....back when fuel economy was not too much of an issue.
Quentin...  

03:44 PM

Well I don't know but if you're after more raw power or performance for a little more or maybe the same $$$ you could get a WRX with more ponies too. Of course the WRX won't be as practical in some departments.  

qmong qmong
08:34 PM

...Yes, practical has to be in the formula.  I'm not going to the streets to look for a racing partner, I just happen to like performance when needed {or not}, but at my stage in life, we want practical....and nice.  ES 300 Lexus is one of our vehicles now, and has been for some years.  Other is an Xtreme S10.  

Posted: 05/04/10
06:26 PM

I understand where you're coming from.  I just like something like the best of both worlds I get with my Fit.  My only regret is I couldn't find one with a stick.  I'm sure it would have made it both more economical and fun to drive.  Otherwise it's still more fun to drive than the Altima since it has lite nimble feel to it and just goes directly where you point it while the Altima would hesitate and take you for a sea cruise when you made the same move. The only things I miss with the Altima were all the many toys it offered and better quality materials too. Otherwise I'm way happier with a small car that can actually gobble more luggage than the Altima, like the Fit does.  It's even easier to park than my CRX was.  The Altima made me understand though why Nissan decided to offer a rearview camera on it since it was always a guessing game when backing up.

I was thinking though if you're looking for a family car with more bang, something like the Malibu V6 might go for the same ballpark figure than the Sonata Turbo costs. The Malibu does look dull compared to the Sonata, there's only so much you can ask from a family car though.  I wasn't worried much about looks though when I bought my car.  Although it does grow on you after awhile too.  Shocked  

qmong qmong
Posted: 05/04/10
07:24 PM

Yes, the Malibu is a nice vehicle....has been pretty successful. I've thought about considering one when we go for the next one.  It is just a bit big...I've come to really like the ES 300 size, and since it's just the wife and I, a bit smaller and taught suspension and lots of good HP and torque seems to fit me more now in later years.

I've been thru the 4-speed manual stuff of years ago...{in fact, worked in the lab where the BWA T-10 was born.

Now...it's comfort...quietness....and easy cruise ability {hence the ES 300}. I've had many Chevys over the years from 49 Fleetline...Corvette...Impala SS's...Caprice and so on...GM lost sight of the goal there for a while but this recent mess seems to be turning them around.
It's all an interesting subject.  Sometimes fun to try to figure out.
Quentin...  

Posted: 05/05/10
01:32 PM

I understand your feelings when it comes to the Malibu or any car for that
matter feeling too large.  I understand the large car advantages, but I understand the annoyances too.  Size is one of the many reasons I ditched the Altima 2.5 SL.  It took me by surprise really since I was expecting it to feel more like a compact. It's not that way anymore though, the EPA classifies it as a "mid size" now  Shocked What's sad though is it's easier for me to accommodate more items in my subcompact Fit than it was the midsize Altima  Frown That's why I'm thinking it's too bad so many manufacturers have shifted away from hatchbacks in the USA, mainly because the fickle American consumer has come to the conclusion "hatchbacks are cheap." By the looks of the interior materials Honda gave me on my Fit, I get the feeling they were thinking that too.  Yeah I know about the Mini but that doesn't have enough space.  Tongue If I was desperate enough I'd make the sacrifice, although I'm saddened how BMW added more height and length to it versus the original:
800Px Morris Mini Minor 1959  

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Hyundai Sonata
21150 - 28575
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan