Item Posts   

Ford To Shut Down Mercury!!

| 
thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 193 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 05/27/10
03:49 PM

Comet 1

Now let me be the first to say this...not really surprised. Mercury hasn't really produced any buzz in years and when Ford and Lincoln started to push new vehicles and new technology...Mercury was silent. Now some may blame Ford for not doing anything while others really don't care. My point is simple, Mercury will start whining down and I don't think there are any who are going to miss it.

FoMoCo executives are now preparing to kill Mercury. According to sources familiar with the plans, the Dearborn automaker’s top executives are currently working on a proposal to kill Mercury that will be presented to directors in July.

Mercury sales have fallen 74 percent since 2000 and FoMoCo is not planning any new vehicles for the brand, which was created in 1939 by Edsel Ford, the son of founder Henry Ford.

Any thoughts??

Source: egmcartech  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Aarmin Aarmin
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/27/10
09:26 PM

Not many are going to miss it, other than Lincoln-Mercury dealers (Mercury pays their bills).

I wont miss it... keep up the good work Ford  Grin  

ionosphere ionosphere
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 06/09/10
11:15 AM

I'd better keep my Grand Marquis in excellent shape!  
Long live American V-8, rearwheel drive, front bench seats, column shifter beauties!

Evan.McCausland Evan.McCausland
Administrator | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/10/10
06:42 AM

I'm not going to miss it much, although I have been interested in a number of Mercury's past products.

For some reason, I have a real fetish for the old ASC/McLaren Capri coupes. Not those horrid roadsters, but the tarted-up coupes. Hey, if you're going to own a Fox-body 'Stang, you may as well go obscure...  

Andrew Peterson Andrew Peterson
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/08
11:23 AM

I won't miss the Mercury brand as it stands now, all of it's products are slightly more luxurious Ford products. Some of Mercury's old products were really cool, but the brand has lived past its usefulness for Ford.  

thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 193 | Joined: 07/09
05:28 PM

Icon Quoteionosphere:
I'd better keep my Grand Marquis in excellent shape!

Actually for those that are collectors out there this would definitely be the time to keep a Mercury. In time a Mercury vehicle will become rare and price will definitely be high.  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

glyphics glyphics
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
08:27 PM

Thank you Ford. Killing the Mercury brand will enable you to Focus on your core product line. One thing, Ford; you have another big distraction. It's called Lincoln.

Let's get real here Ford because I like you. I like the way you cured your management woes by going outside the firm for leadership. I love the fact that you are the only U. S. auto company to not require my tax money for survival. I think you are starting to make the right branding moves but there's that Lincoln cloud over your head. What are you going to do about it? Your Lincoln brand manager has given up the quest to challenge the world's best luxury cars so just what is it you are trying to sell?

Take this to heart, Ford. Nobody is going to be willing to pay a premium for a tarted out, gussied up Ford with a Lincoln badge plastered on it. Supporting two dealership networks selling the same cars cannot be considered intelligent marketing in the 21st century. No-one in the automotive press and no potential customer is holding their breath waiting for the next yet-to-be introduced Lincoln. So, Ford, if you are not willing to develop true product differentiation between your Ford branded cars and your Lincoln branded cars, you might as well save billions of dollars over the next decade by killing the Lincoln brand now rather than later.

By true product differentiation, I mean FWD for Ford products and RWD drive for Lincoln products. This may go against the company bean-counters' grain but you are a car company, not a bean-counting company. Nissan introduced product differentiation with their Infiniti brand and Toyota did it with their Lexus brand and those were totally new brands. You won't like this Ford but GM is doing it too, with their Cadillac brand. Here's how you can do it with Lincoln.

You have a RWD chassis for the Mustang. You put a 19th century Hotchkiss (solid) rear axle to appease the Mustang's hot-rod constituency but that chassis was designed for a RWD/IRS configuration. Stretch that chassis, install the IRS and build a four door sports sedan under the Lincoln brand. If that sounds like the Lincoln LS, that's a good thing because LS owners love their cars but please drop the alphabet soup designations and revive the vaunted Lincoln names. Doing this will give you the time to develop a 21st century RWD chassis to fill out the Lincoln model lineup. Remember, Ford, you developed that nice aluminum chassis for the Jaguar XJ so I know you have it in you.

Ford, you will have to give up your addiction to fleet car sales and ladder frame constructed cars eventually so do it now.  Replace the Town Car with a large RWD/IRS sports/luxury sedan and make Lincoln relevant again. Also, develop a lightweight, efficient, small displacement V-8 engine and advanced hybrid technology for Lincoln and make it the engineering leader of U. S. carmakers. While you are at it, Ford, build a refined and permanent 2 seat Corvette/Viper competitor and make it a Lincoln. Give people under retirement age a reason to walk into a Lincoln showroom.

Here's the lineup:

Lincoln Zephyr (5-series/E-Class competitor)
             Mark Z; a 2-door Coupe version

Lincoln Continental (7-Series/S-class competitor)

Lincoln ??? (2-seat Sport/GT)

If you have to continue selling those re-branded Ford SUVs and crossovers, that is a reasonable marketing decision.

As I said, Ford, I'm rooting for you. I like what you are doing. You just haven't gone far enough, in my opinion, to rationalize your offerings to the buying public. Getting rid of Mercury is a first step. Your next step with Lincoln will be a mis-step if it is not a bold step.

Thanks for listening, Ford. You are listening, aren't you?  

JimmyHelu JimmyHelu
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 07/21/12
05:22 AM

This has been rumored for years, so it's no big surprise if it does happen. The fact that the success of the 2005 retro-Mustang didn't generate even a concept for a retro-Cougar should have been a tipoff to even the least serious car buff. It's a damn shame. Oh well, maybe my 2004 Marauder will become a collector item now.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice