Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

EXTENDED WARRANTY ON A 3-YR. OLD CAR?

| 
wahcheck wahcheck
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/02/10
04:46 PM

I'm hoping to get some opinions on whether I should purchase an extended warranty on my car:

I bought a 2007 Nissan Frontier in May of '07....It now has 48K miles and the 3 yr./36,000 mile warranty is history....I am told I can purchase (basically) another 3 yrs. and 50,000 mile warranty with a $50 deductible for approx. $2,000.   At first, I thought it made sense but now I am having 2nd thoughts.....In these first 3 years, I haven't had any problems with the car, and been keeping up with the 3K mile oil changes, so why not just bank the $2000 as an emergency fund, and hope the car goes another 3 yrs. without problems?   The other plus about buying the warranty might be that it's a definite plus to be able to transfer the warranty to the buyer.
Your thoughts?   Thank you.  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 03/03/10
01:32 PM

Well I just ditched an extended warranty on a 2007 Fit I bought.  It was actually a better deal than what you were offered.  But than again for all I know Fits can be less expensive to repair and maintain and more reliable too.  My Honda dealer used basic scare tactics to get me to buy their warranty, such as telling me how much it cost to replace a water pump  Shocked After I told him one of the main reasons I bought this car is Honda's are bullet proof, he started lowering the price of the warranty. I still walked away from it though.  In your case from what I've seen Frontiers are quite reliable too, although Toyota's up that anti.  You can always just keep your Nissan well maintained and when something goes wrong on it, shop around for parts, labor, or just switch to a Toyota  
Austin Cooper

wahcheck wahcheck
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 03/03/10
01:39 PM

Thank you for your input, Mr. Cooper.....I am finding it surprising that after all the people who check out this thread, you have been the only one to respond...  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2014 Nissan Frontier
17990 - 34410
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck