2011 Chevy Volt vs 2010 Toyota Prius

| 
thesavagepony thesavagepony
User | Posts: 193 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 12/08/09
04:16 PM

Chevy Volt Exterior 2

2010 Toyota Prius Front Three Quarters View

GM is pushing boundaries into the future and the 2011 Chevy Volt is there main key. Toyota not to be outdone upgraded there best selling hybrid and pushed for 50, that is 50mpg's on there "redesigned" or "upgraded" 2010 Toyota Prius. So while the Volt gets 40mpg's on pure electricity, and the Prius get's 50 in hybrid mode...which is the better deal?? Though official pricing hasn't been announced for the Volt, rumor has it it will end up being 32k to 34k, after a $7,500 "tax break" from the government. The Prius will cost 21k to 27k, depending on the trim level you choose.

While GM is facing post bankruptcy dilemma, Toyota is falling in quality and taking heat for the major recall and pedal failure....So which would you prefer should you have the money?? Which of these is the best bang for the buck in you're opinion??

Source: Volt
Source: Prius  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/09/09
04:44 PM

Since the bottom line is saving $$$ through more MPG, I can't picture Volts flying off the shelves with $32,000 price tags.  Right now you can snag a Insight starting at $19,800 or a Prius for $22,400  Shocked I still believe we'll have to wait till the Volt hits production before we can really start making comparisons between it and the current hybrids out there.  
Austin Cooper

Posted: 12/14/09
11:35 AM

Icon QuoteAustin.Cooper:
Since the bottom line is saving $$$ through more MPG, I can't picture Volts flying off the shelves with $32,000 price tags.  Right now you can snag a Insight starting at $19,800 or a Prius for $22,400  Shocked I still believe we'll have to wait till the Volt hits production before we can really start making comparisons between it and the current hybrids out there.

Well it has already been stated that over 50'000 people have "inquired" or tried to put down a "down payment" on the Volt. This is well over the amount of Volts GM plans to produce the first year around. They are pretty much following the example Toyota made with the Prius.  
Life.....It's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep pushing forward, how much you can take and keep pushing forward! - Rocky Balboa

Posted: 12/15/09
01:47 PM

Icon QuoteAustin.Cooper:

Icon Quotethesavagepony:
Well it has already been stated that over 50'000 people have "inquired" or tried to put down a "down payment" on the Volt. This is well over the amount of Volts GM plans to produce the first year around. They are pretty much following the example Toyota made with the Prius.

Considering how long GM has been displaying the Volt, I'm not surprised by all the interest they've received so far. That's just the first wave though, nobody can really say what's going to happen after that.  GM has to look over its shoulder at Toyota too.  That's because pretty soon their Prius plug in will be on the market, offering serious competition to the Volt. I don't know who's going to have the price advantage.  I'll give Toyota advantage though in the familiarity category. I believe more people would rather take their chances with Toyota and the tried and true Prius than the Volt newcomer.  At least I can give the Volt the edge in looks. There's no way I'd buy these cars on looks alone though.  
Austin Cooper

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
User | Posts: 211 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/06/10
12:24 PM

They're fundamentally different cars, but you know a comparison test is going to be inevitable once they're both on sale.  

02:56 PM

Icon Quoteesanchez:
They're fundamentally different cars, but you know a comparison test is going to be inevitable once they're both on sale.

True but since Toyota will be releasing a plug in Prius around the same time the Volt hits the showrooms, they can compare the 2 similar cars then.  In the meantime, it's too bad Chevy never made a hybrid worthy of competing with the Prius.  
Austin Cooper

05:01 PM

Icon Quoteesanchez:

Icon QuoteAustin.Cooper:
True but since Toyota will be releasing a plug in Prius around the same time the Volt hits the showrooms, they can compare the 2 similar cars then.  In the meantime, it's too bad Chevy never made a hybrid worthy of competing with the Prius.

Electric cars would have been the next step from hybrids and GM clearly wanted to be the first one of the Domestics to get there. Not to mention the only one that is affordable when compared to Tesla.  

05:02 PM

Icon Quoteesanchez:

Icon QuoteAustin.Cooper:

Electric cars would have been the next step from hybrids and GM clearly wanted to be the first one of the Domestics to get there. Not to mention the only one that is affordable when compared to Tesla.  

07:45 PM

Icon Quoteesanchez:

Icon QuoteAustin.Cooper:

Icon Quotethesavagepony:

GM was already the first domestic to offer an electric car, which means first isn't their goal anymore.  They do want to beat the others with the plug in though.  Although since you did mention "domestic" I do believe GM has a lot more in mind than beating FoMoCo and Chrysler.  At first their main competition will come from Toyota and possibly Nissan too if their pure electric fears well. I'm sure GM will go back to a pure electric too if they believe it's more marketable this time around. I still think Nissan's Leaf has its drawbacks too.  Of course we all know what short memories consumers have and they won't get hot for these machines again until gas starts nearing or surpassing the $4 mark again  Shocked And you know I was thinking this week as gas prices climbed here how last year at this time they were charging about $1 less for gasoline then.  It still beats me how much fuel will go for this Summer even if they're charging considerably more for it this Winter.  
Austin Cooper

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice