Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Ugliest New Cars by Year Introduced

| 
room2704 room2704
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/09/09
05:57 PM

Reading that other magazines "Car of the Year" issue, I wondered: who the winners would be if they gave out an award for the Ugliest New Car of the year? If such an award were given out, it may have looked something like this. I'll just go back a couple of decades:

2010 - Nissan Cube
2009 - Ford Flex
2008 - Smart fortwo
2007 - Chrysler Sebring
2006 - Subaru B9 Tribeca
2005 - Dodge Magnum
2004 - Chevy Malibu
2003 - Honda Element
2002 - Lexus SC
2001 - Pontiac Aztek
2000 - Toyota Echo
1999 - Isuzu VehiCross
1998 - Chrysler Concorde
1997 - Plymouth Prowler
1996 - Ford Taurus
1995 - Dodge Neon
1994 - Ford Aspire
1993 - Nissan Quest
1992 - Buick Skylark Coupe
1991 - Subaru SVX
1990 - Pontiac TranSport

Agree? Disagree?  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 06/10/09
02:37 AM

A very good list Mr room2704.  I totally agree with you on the Tribeca and the Sebring.  When I first saw these cars in the magazines, I just had to laugh- what idiot approved these for production?  The Sebring in particular is a joke.  Some cars just don't photograph well or have a couple of awkward angles, but look better in person; the Sebring is one of those rare turds that look awful from EVERY angle!  I'll disagree with you on the Smart though, as I quite like the design, despite the fact it's too tall.  And why do the 04 Malibu and 95 Neon make your list?  They weren't that bad.

I've got a few of my own:

2002 BMW 7 series- yep, the one with the Bangle Butt.  Quite possible the worst rear end on a modern car, ever.  And the front end isn't pretty either.
2003 Subaru Baja- it was a clever idea, but definitely not a looker.  "Distinctive" I guess is the nicest way to describe this car.
2007 Jeep Compass- just godawful, a travesty to the Jeep brand.  I kicked in the front fender of one I came across parked during a night of heavy drinking; my best decision of the night.
2008 Ford Focus- the worst redesign of the decade.  Instead of getting the brilliant European Focus, we Americans get a hastily cobbled together collection of current design cliches in a package that I affectionately refer to as the "Ford Fugly."  The Euro version can't come soon enough.
2009 Acura TL- with its gaudy "power plenum" grille and messy sheetmetal, the new TL is a design disaster.  I hate it particularly because its predecessor was such an understatedly handsome car.  To the Acura design team- what the *** are you guys smoking?  

Evan.McCausland Evan.McCausland
Administrator | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/08
09:33 AM

I personally like the Cube, but having said that, I much prefer the exterior of the last model. If only they could throw the new interior in the old car. Hmm...  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
10:18 AM

The vehicles that really stick out on your list that are hard to say "they don't belong there" are the Nissan Cube (even though it's so new to me, I might grow to like it) and the Subaru B9 Tribeca, Lexus SC, Toyota Echo, Isuzu Vehicross, (I'm glad I'm not the only who thought all that plastic cladding is hideous)Pontiac Aztek, Subaru SVX.  I agree though how the Bangle Butt 7 Series is more than worthy of mention too.  I really liked his design on the 5 Series though  Shocked  

One car I wouldn't put on that list though, is the Plymouth Prowler.  I believe it draws more attention for its beauty than anything else.  
Austin Cooper

room2704 room2704
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/11/09
06:27 PM

I actually wrestled with a few other options for ugliest car of '04, the Scion xB and the Mitsubishi Galant (this was the first year the Galant had the "bird beak" front end). I ultimately chose the Malibu because I just don't see anything about the design that's attractive. Chevy basically took the '97-'03 model, put multiple creases in the body panels, squared it up, and slapped that hideous Silverado grille on the front, which looked completely out of place on a car. The '06 freshening helped, but the '04-'07 Malibus were just dog ugly cars IMO.

I actually agree with your choices too, except for the Baja. Granted, the "El CaLegacy" was a funky looking vehicle but I wouldn't call it ugly, no way was it uglier than the Element. I actually almost went with the TL for '09, it was a three-way toss-up between that, the Flex, and the Toyota Matrix.  

monoblocks monoblocks
User | Posts: 73 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/15/09
03:22 AM

2010: for me, too early to tell. Cube is unusual, but at this point I'm sure there's plenty of strange design still to come in the upcoming months. Personally, I'm not a big fan of its sibling, the 370Z; the Z34's proportions make it look more like a lump on the road than the embodiment of a sports car. Kinda a return to the original econowart Honda Civic CRX, only with way more horsepower and not so much fuel efficiency of that concept. "Ladybug" instead of "Fairlady" comes to mind. The Z33 was far better IMO, though neither of the two surpasses the sublime beauty of the Z32 300ZX.

2007: I choose to hate the fugly Nissan Sentra instead. More Nissan car-as-featureless-lump design. You dislike doddering boxes, I cringe over generic, rolling abscesses.

2006: Honorable mention goes to the F-series Honda Civic, particularly the seemingly oversquare, four-door pimple, er...sedan.

2005: Magnum? Not when there's the Buick LaCrosse set loose on unsuspecting senior citizens.

2004: The Malibu was indeed bad in a bland, dullard sort of way but this was the year of the 2nd-gen Prius, the (to me) oddly dumpy and ultimately in-yer-face iconic and anointed poster child for the Way of the Green. And if I could include pickups, the grossly overweight Chevy SSR deserves justified condemnation for being the epitome of needless retrograde think, though to be honest I can't remember if it came out as a late '03 or an early '04. I was indeed surprised that you didn't list the Scion xB, considering how similar rolling box stock had made your list for other years.

2002: While I don't disagree with the choice of the Lexus, I think in addition props need to go out to that Banglized BMW Z4. Its Bangle butt E65 7-series stablemate also needs special mention as well though primarily only for the rear half of that car, and for inspiring all the copycats from others (and BMW themselves) to follow.

1997: To me the Prowler was an design aberration, not a stylistic mess. The greater sin was done by GM, doing Cimmaron all over again by taking a rather pedestrian Opel and obscenely branding it a Caddy and going by the name Catera. Okay, so it's not an all-new platform, but it was still a "new" model, at least according to the General's marketing department.

The other years...meh...I either agree or more likely I just don't remember so well anymore.  

TarheelChief TarheelChief
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 07/28/09
10:49 PM

Car dealers only have one criteria,sales.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The ugliest car of all time,the Studebaker bullet nose had devoted fans.  

stanczyk stanczyk
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 09/27/09
04:36 PM

I think CUBE is extravagant and avantgarde, I wouldn;y consider it ugly...look at Citroen 2CV  - it's awkward, but cute !Smile

I could agree with :
2001 - Pontiac Aztek
2008 - Smart fortwo
2007 - Chrysler Sebring
1996 - Ford Taurus
the same with awkward front of Jaguar limousine few years before (not Xj though)
and ford scorpio last gen...(both frog face like...
the same with Flying Spur Bentley! ....Continental GT is OK , though ..
1992 - Buick Skylark Coupe - not so bad (and Riviera allways beautifull to compensateSmile

I couldnt agree with:

Subaru SVX and Ford Flex..for sure !  

MrFelix MrFelix
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/18/09
09:40 AM

A big "amen" to the 2007 Sebring Sedan, which joins the 1981 Ford Thunderbird on my personal list of "cars which are ugly from every angle".  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice