Ad Radar

Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

WHAT WOULD MAKE AN ELECTRIC CAR MORE DESIRABLE?

| 
harrb harrb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/31/09
01:14 PM

I am trying to find out how electric cars could be more desirable to own and what are peoples views on the future of electric cars?

What things would you like to see in an electric car to become desirable?

What would you use a electric car for?
E.g. commuting short distances, general use, being green......

Do you think they could be used in racing or on track days in the future?  

jduval74 jduval74
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 02/02/09
10:06 AM

There's one thing I would require from an electric car: I don't want to sacrifice anything in the switch from a gasoline powered car to an electric one.

That means two things, really... I want the same 0-60 times, handling, braking power, etc. as a comparable gasoline powered car, and I don't want to have to install some elaborate station in my garage to charge it.

I think if/when electric cars don't require people to sacrifice anything or make concessions to own them, they'll come into their own.

As for myself, I'd use it as a daily commuter - I live about 20 miles from work.  I think a big concern will probably be the range.  Ford's upcoming Focus-based EV, with a 100-mile range, hits a sweet spot, I think.  The 40 miles in the Volt is definitely not enough for me.  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
03:08 PM

But the Volt has a range-extender (aka gasoline engine) that will charge the battery while you are driving past the 40 mile mark. So it would be possible for you to run to work, the mall/grocery store, and back home, even if that means 60 miles.

For me, I need the option of burning some type of fuel in the car to charge the batteries on the go. Most days I drive nearly 100 miles and I don't ever want to be in a situation where I need my car, but it's out of juice. A purely electric car probably won't work for me in the foreseeable future.  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
User | Posts: 211 | Joined: 06/06
04:33 PM

As you noted, I think the "40 miles" issue is going to have to be carefully managed and actively explained by GM PR. The fact of the matter is the Volt will be capable of 300 miles per tank, give or take, about the same as a conventional vehicle, just that 40 miles of that will be gasoline-free.

In terms of what I'd want in an electric car...Absolutely must be fun-to-drive. Electrics definitely have this potential, thanks to the instantaneous torque output inherent to electric motors. Reasonable Range - I'd say 100 miles per full charge should be the baseline for pure EVs. And affordability will be key. As cool as the Tesla Roadster is, the price is absolutely out-of-reach for the majority of Americans. I think educated consumers will be willing to pay a modest premium initially for an electric, but double or triple the price of an equivalent gas-powered model will be a deal-killer.

In terms of racing, there's already an electric drag-racing league, NEDRA.

Just my $0.02 worth.  Smile  

taildraggin taildraggin
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 02/25/09
04:56 PM

The Volt's gas generator kicks in when the battery goes flat.

Volt isn't pure EV.  It's a 'range extended' EV with an on-board gas generator to charge the battery.  You plug in at night, and if that's enough juice (40-50miles worth), then you never use any gasoline.  Take a trip and you have the generator.

It's also called a serial hybrid vs. the parallel type (Prius), where both engines work together to turn wheels.  The generator in the Volt only charges the battery.

Full EV still has a lot of problems: charge time, quantity/weight of batteries, cost, etc.

As it is, the Volt will probably cost $15k more than a conventional gas car to produce.  That's really the problem with PHEVs.  Otherwise, it should do pretty much what a Malibu does.  

Graduate, Rodan School of Automotive Design

Arkyman Arkyman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/28/09
12:34 PM

Winter capability. I have driven Toyota Prius rentals at -25 Celsius and they take 1/2 hr to warm up inside, the front windshield takes just as long to defrost. The transmission doesn't know what to do when the tires slip on ice and it handles like a pig, with serious understeer. Ok, it handles like a pig on dry roads, too.

I don't know if the heat problem can be corrected when the gas engine is so small but there must be a way.  

langbroekmd langbroekmd
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/09/10
12:38 PM

Until we find or implement better electricity producing alternatives I don't think that electric vehicles are the best answer. Hydrogen powerplants sound like the best concept out there. Not only concept, look at the Honda Clarity.

For me an electric car must not cost me more than a gas or diesel car.  As a commuter car it doesn't have to be as powerful as a gas car either, but it should handle just as well.  

Dann_O Dann_O
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 09/10
03:11 PM

For me the ability to take long road trips. Sure I don't do that that often but my budget allows for one car and I don't want to rent a gas powered car to take a long trip.  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
05:22 PM

Faster charging times plus just as easy access to a charging station as say a gas pump would be nice. It appears all this juice doesn't come free too.  I know Chevy wants $490 for 110 volt charger and $2,000 for 240 volt charger  Frown I really wonder how long you'd have to own a Volt alone to come out ahead?  
Austin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.Cooper

rodds@linuxmail.org rodds@linuxmail.org
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 12/06/12
08:36 AM

I strongly believe that the first desirable thing is the PRICE.
I think being green is critical but we need to face the reality that economical pressure is what determines markets. In order to make an EV profitable it needs to be made available to the middle class and the lower middle class.  

kblobo@gmail.com kblobo@gmail.com
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/06/12
05:49 PM

One word: value

People say it's range. It's not.  Most people can adjust to the idea that they can't do inter-city driving at the drop of a hat.  But most people aren't willing to pay 40k (here in Canada) for a Leaf.

There's no real savings over a gas car.  For the price of the Leaf, one could buy a fully loaded Versa with literally every single option on the order form ticked off and still have 10 years worth of gas money leftover  And that's considering higher Canadian vehicle pricing and gas prices.

I assume this disparity is even higher in the USA.

People will buy electrics if they perceive value.  They won't even mind some limitations like range.  But when you're paying a ridiculous amount, there's no perceived value.

One might actually be better off buying the Vers and using the leftover 14k to install solar panels.  

Austin.Cooper Austin.Cooper
Moderator | Posts: 319 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/09/12
11:08 AM

I agree with you kblobo about there being no savings with an electric car over a gasoline powered car for the time being.  I believe a lot of that has to do with economies of scale now.  If electrics ever become more practical and consumers start flocking to them, look for prices to drop.  
Austin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.CooperAustin.Cooper

nole1 nole1
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 12/10/12
09:39 AM

Make a car that looks like a Fisker and is priced like the Volt.  They gave test rides of both at the South Florida International Auto Show recently, and the Fisker is beautiful- pictures just don't do it justice.  The Volt is ugly, as are most electric cars (they also had the Leaf and the Mitsubishi MiEV).  Not everyone in an electric car wants to look like an eco-geek.  They need to appeal to car guys too.  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/10/13
02:59 AM

ability to have long trips,because i often drive for long trips  

askaricars! askaricars!
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/11/13
05:42 AM

i think the frst thing to prefer is price!  

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice