Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Why no Mazdaspeed RX-8?

| 
MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/11/07
04:42 AM

I'm amazed that Mazda is content to continue selling the same old normally-aspirated rotary engined RX-8 year after year.  The only thing that's changed on this car since its debut is the availability of a six speed automatic gearbox (replacing the four).  I know Mazdaspeed sells some aftermarket parts for this car, such as wheels, suspension components, and a bodykit, but why, WHY is there no complete Mazdaspeed RX-8 with a twin turbo rotary like our last RX-7?  Look, Mazda's got the sporty versions of the 3 and 6, and I'll bet there will be a Mazdaspeed version of the recently redesigned Miata in a couple of years, so why is Mazda dragging its feet when it comes to the RX-8?  Any ideas or info?  

gene12 gene12
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/10/09
09:47 PM

They need to get it right first. I have a 2004 RX8 nothing but trouble just had the motor replaced. 700 miles later doing the samething. Nice looking car thought.  

marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/14/09
09:14 AM

I'm sure it comes down to cost. Both the sticker price of the modified RX-8 and, more importantly, the development costs of a heavily tweaked rotary engine would be high. On top of that, the fuel consumption would be very poor. Hopefully, we'll see another RX-7 with a more powerful rotary engine but with fuel economy and CO2 emissions at the top of the list for engine developers, I wonder how much longer Mazda will actually sell a rotary-powered vehicle.  

kmjjford kmjjford
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/10/10
11:00 AM

We are having trouble too.  What kind of trouble were you having?  At first they told us they might have to replace motor, then changed their minds to spark plugs, a coolant sensor and an oxygen sensor.  It was doing all kinds of crazy things, got it back and it is still doing some of the things we brought it in for.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice