Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

BMW 335d and X5 diesel, what do you think?

| 
marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 08/21/08
06:55 AM

The BMW 335d and X5 diesel will both go on sale in the USA very soon. What do you think, will they sell? Will the lack of a manual transmission turn any of you off? With diesel fuel so expensive right now, will that push you away from buying the vehicles?  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 08/21/08
07:44 AM

This is a question that hits close to home for me. I'll admit one of the reasons I got rid of my 1989 F-250 was the lack of power the normally aspirated diesel produced combined with the record cost of diesel. I figured that the limited amount of miles I put on each year would actually be cheaper with an equivalent truck and a big block gasser, or that I should sell the toys I tow.

That said, I think a daily driver with a modern turbo-diesel engine makes a lot of sense. You can get more than 30 mpg combined in the 335d and there's more torque there than in a 335i. What's not to love?  

kroatoan84 kroatoan84
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/22/08
12:18 AM

if you really need the utility (albeit limited utility) go for the X5. for a daily driver, the 335d is the excellent choice. irregardless of the cost of diesel, as long as i am gassing up 2-3 times a month only, i find no reason as to why i shouldn't be buying euro cars with diesel engines. if they will be bolting an excellent engine with a 6-speed manual, so much the better...if you are good in hypermiling, the posted MPG for the diesels will look lame-duck compared to what you can do with the aforementioned combo. Cool  

Edward A. Sanchez Edward A. Sanchez
User | Posts: 211 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 02/04/09
05:07 PM

If I was pulling in about double the salary I currently am, I'd LOVE to own a 335d. Even though I'm usually a hard-core manual trans fan, based on the power delivery characteristics of modern turbo-diesels, I think an automatic is probably a better choice.

In terms of making a dollars-and-cents case for the 335d over a 328i or 335i, it's not a super-compelling argument. I'd say it's more of an "early-adopter" car for those with enough discretionary income to swing the $50k+ pricetag, but like the idea of getting 36 mpg on the highway while going 0-60 in 6 flat.  

Maxima1 Maxima1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/10
Posted: 05/31/10
01:33 PM

I just rented a new 3 series diesel in Amsterdam and drove it for 1500K in Western Europe.   The best feature of the car is the Navi system.  It is easy to program and use.  The cruise stalk is in a bad location and is awful to use.  This car is not the ultimate driving machine.  The steering wanders and requires constant corrections, whether on motorways or city streets.  If you like 2 hands on the wheel at all times this is your car. Long drives are tiresome.  

bmw335d bmw335d
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/11
Posted: 01/11/11
08:39 PM

I am a car freak dating back to my first 1962 SS Chevy.  I have owned so many cars I can't count them.  The lease on my 07 335XI stick came to an end and I drove every car made for it's replacement.  There are lots of great cars out there, but NONE deliver like the 335d.  I got the car three months ago, and have already blown up the miles of my lease.  I love to drive this car.  It beats anything I have ever owned or would ever want to own.  It is solid as a rock, a monster from 40 to 80 mph and sounds great. ROAR is what you get when you put your foot in it.  It takes your breath away to feel that much torque and realize you are getting over 30 miles to the gallon driving the crap out of it.  I have found the PERFECT CAR.  For all of you car freaks out there that want fast and fun, take it for a test drive.  Don't sweat the lack of a stick.  I have always driven sticks, but this beast does not need the stick to get you what you need in power.  It is a monster for pulling.  I love it so much I just ordered my wife a x5 335d.  Now I am broke, but I will have a ball driving to the extra jobs I will have to get to make the lease payments.  Go try this car guys and gals you will love it.  

enolorareo enolorareo
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/06/11
02:39 AM

BluePerformance uses a solution called AdBlue, which is basically urea (yes, that urea) that is injected into the exhaust gas to turn nitrous oxides into nitrogen gas and water vapor. This works with a diesel particulate filter to reduce emissions. The AdBlue solution should only need to be replenished during regular service intervals, and BMW will include free refills in its 4-year/50,000-mile maintenance program. This is the same system that Mercedes-Benz uses in its Bluetec diesels.  

SchnellerKerl2 SchnellerKerl2
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/16/11
06:20 AM

Great car.
But you don't  need a large diesel for that car.
The 2.0 Turbo diesel is more than enough.
I've driven the 520D in Germany at speeds of 137 mph and 43 mpg. Autobahn or alpine roads. The engine is long on breath and grunt.

WIse up BMW...  

aleena212 aleena212
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/17/13
11:03 PM

hi,
  thanks for shearing the valuable information.I think it is right that rising price of fuel is one of the reason behind it.

--------------------------------------------------
<a href=ā€ http://www.ezdia.com/epad/2013-mercedes-benz-sl-class-price-reviews/7980/ā€> 2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS </a>  

mpeterson734 mpeterson734
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/03/13
04:15 AM

I think a everyday car owner with a contemporary turbo-diesel motor creates a lot of feeling. You can get more than 30 mpg mixed in the 335d and there's more twisting there than in a 335i. . . . . . . . . . . .

Click Here  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice