Item Posts   

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS - Transmission Problem

| 
Redbiovail Redbiovail
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/17/08
01:25 PM

Hi! Everyone upthere.

I have a serious problem with my 2001 Montero SPort XLS (2WD).

Firts a month ago, I was normally driving at 65mph when the over drive blow out and the neutral (N) sign in the dash panel started to blinck. I stop the truck to see if the one was leaking and everything was ok. I try to continue and the tranny was complettly block (no reverse or any shift). When I put reverse the one make a big noise on the gears. Short story I paid $165 to towwing it to my house.

Since I know a tranny work can cost me about $1,200, I decide to change the one for a use one that cost me $650 with 42,000 miles from a reputable salvage. I install the one and after used for two days the one started with the same problem, no reverse, blinking the neutral sign in the dash panel, but the one move on 2nd shift.

This is to weird! But a second tranny damage with the same problem?

Does any one know what can cause this? It could be the TCM????

Any help will be appreciated. Confused  

criscar criscar
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/05/09
03:59 PM

I have the same serious problem with my 2001 Montero Sport XLS (2WD).

Last week, I was driving at 65mph when I heard this loud thump and the neutral (N) sign in the dash panel started to blink. I pulled off the freeway into the nearest gas station and stopped the car.  When I tried to start the car again, the car would not move into any gear, no reverse, neutral, drive, or anything.  I had the car towed to my mechanic's shop.  It is costing me $1700 to get this transmission fixed.  

marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 01/06/09
09:44 AM

It sounds like an electronic/TCM to me. Yes, at least pay a pro to diagnose the problem. You can then do the work if you prefer.  

cflogan319 cflogan319
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/02/09
03:09 PM

I have a '99 Montero Sport XLS (2WD). Still trying to keep it alive! It has been a mechanic nightmare. I had same transmission problem as above. The exact same thing happened. On more then one occasion the car gave sign it was having issues when the neutral light flashed on hwy. The dealership only threw parts at the situation vs. replacing the transmission. Eventually I had to pay 1800 for a new rebuilt trans. My gear tran was totally shot. That happened at 99000 miles. Now at 160,000 miles it smokes, burns oil & has converter/exhaust issues. I have had almost every part replaced & it seems that NO ONE is good at working on Mitshibishi Montero's.  

sccres sccres
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/29/09
04:51 AM

there is a computer that controlls the shifting ps good luck on finding one  

kstefan kstefan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 02/08/10
12:39 PM

Hey i have the same problem now have you got yours fixed?  

Lisa Harris Lisa Harris
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/14
Posted: 04/01/14
07:37 AM

found this thought it might help everyone w/ similar problem
Recall ID # 9949 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Plus Hide Details
Recall Date:
MAR 04, 1999
Model Affected:
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4-WHEEL DRIVE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD BE VENTED ONTO THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM AS A RESULT OF UNANTICIPATED HEAT GENERATION IN THE TRANSMISSION.
Consequences:
THE VENTED TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM AND IGNITION OF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID COULD RESULT.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT TO LIMIT VEHICLE SPEED TO BELOW APPROXIMATELY 30 MILES PER HOUR WHEN THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED IN THE FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE, AN ADDITIONAL LABEL DESCRIBING THE PROPER USE OF FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE WILL BE PROVIDED, AND WILL RELOCATE THE TRANSMISSION BREATHER VENT. IN ADDITION, THE OWNER'S MANUAL WILL BE CORRECTED WITH THE PROPER INFORMATION TO REFLECT THE CHANGE TO THE SPEED LIMITATIONS IN THE FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE LOW RANGE.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
MITSUBISHI AMERICA

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1999/mitsubishi/montero_sport/recalls/#ixzz2xe3QMxi4  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice