Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Subayota or Toyobaru?

| 
solrac solrac
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 06/05/08
08:38 PM

The recent news about Toyota and Subaru jointing to create a small rear-wheel drive sports car got me a little excited and confused at the same time. Which one are you most excited about?
The toyota or the Subaru?
Also what do you think about a rear-wheel drive Subaru?
What should they name this car? Celica and SVX?
Be creative and tell me what you guys think.  

solrac solrac
Posted: 06/09/08
09:41 PM

I think at the end of the day both vehicles will be subarus since they will have the flat engine. I also think Toyota should make sure the production LFA will be competitive enought with the GTR.  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 06/18/08
02:16 AM

As you already mentioned, both the Subaru and Toyota versions of this car should get Subaru's flat 4 boxer engine, so I'm psyched about both of 'em.  For me, the "Subayota" is the most exciting new car concept that I've seen in the past decade, as I'm a huge fan of small RWD cars, a segment that has slowly disappeared.  If Toyota and Subaru can keep this car simple, lightweight (I'm praying for 2500 lbs or less) and affordable (I heard a target starting price of $15-$17k) then I think they'll have a huge financial and critical success.  We've been long overdue for a no-nonsense lightweight sports car.

As far as names go, Celica is the obvious choice for the Toyota variant, though I think it would be awesome if they named it the Trueno, in honor of the old AE86 Corolla.  I like the Subaru SVX idea.

I heard a rumor that we might not even get the Toyota variant in America.  Since Toyota has seemingly abandoned its sports car fans in America and now only sells safe and boring cars to retirees, they probably think a RWD sport compact wouldn't work here.  So I'm betting if we do see two variants of this car here, the Toyota version will be badged as a Scion.  I guess we'll just have to wait another couple of years and see what unfolds.

Checkout this badass silver concept car:  
www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/306507-new-toyota-ae86-confirmed-rwd-subby-6-04-08-a.html  

solrac solrac
Posted: 06/18/08
01:16 PM

I read the same rumors about the toyota version not coming to the US. but I would definitely love to see it here. the problem is that here in the US both cars would compete against each other and I would assume most ethusiast would go for the subie since Toyota created such a boring reputation the last few years. Also, if toyota decides to sell it as a scion it would probably have to replace the TC since it would be very close in price. maybe the subie should be standard with AWD and the Toyota with RWD.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice