Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

The New TSX is a disappointment.

| 
SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/20/08
01:02 PM

Personally, I find the new Acura TSX to be something of a disappointment (as if you couldn't tell from the header). It's heavier than the last-generation car, uglier than the last-generation car, and while it's grown more refined, something tells me (especially since power hasn't changed) it's missing the spark of the previous TSX. Granted, I haven't driven it yet, but I'm not holding out any great hope.

Anyone else feel that Acura's lost its way? (Or what little way it had?)  

solrac solrac
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 05/08
01:52 PM

I have to disaggre with you. Although I'm not crazy about the new front grill of the 09 TSX, I think the styling is very aggressive and is growing on me. Also, the interior is a huge improvement over the previous model and the technology is much more advance than anything else in the market. However, in order to appreciate this things you have to drive the vehicle to experience the improvements in performance and quality which a done a number of time.  

ruffyy ruffyy
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 05/08
05:44 PM

It seems Acura wanted to play it safe and stick with the origial design as a guide and just slapped on a corporate grille. The grille is ugly to the american eye. it's like a sheild in front of the grille. I'm sure though in japan it's a hit as they are fans of surface excitement. Surface excitement is the the viewing of a very small portion of a vehicle while sitting in traffic and recognising the whole vehicle from a portion of the sheet metal. The tsx is just a rehash of the older car.  

ruffyy ruffyy
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 05/08
05:46 PM

Also with the disapearence of the 4 cylinder engine the insurance person will charge you accordingly or should I say tsxingly.  

PhillyJake PhillyJake
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 05/21/08
10:20 AM

Ruffy: the TSX still has a 4 cylinder engine.

Sam:  Drive the car and then get back to us.  The reviews have been fine.  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 06/03/08
03:27 AM

Yep, I'm a little pissed off with the new TSX as well.  As was mentioned above, it's bigger, heavier, and uglier.  What happened?  The last TSX was the by far the best looking sedan Acura ever built; it had a clean and understatedly handsome exterior with perfect proportions, and handled brilliantly for a front-driver.  My neighbor has one, and I always find myself admiring it whenever he's parked it in his driveway.

With the new car, Acura has sacrificed the old TSX's conservative good looks in a desperate attempt to establish a "corporate identity" by slapping on their lurid new grille, along with a host of other design cliches.  It isn't a complete disaster, but it seems a step backwards from the old car.

I've been extremely bummed about Acura's new company direction.  Acura used to be a company that built sportier and better-equipped Hondas.  They were the cheapest of the upscale Japanese brands, and I respected that.  Now, however, Acura seems to have gone soft, killing off their smaller and sportier vehicles in favor of bigger luxury cars.  I just pray that they don't go through with their plan to resurrect the NSX as a front-engined V10 grand tourer.  That would be unforgivable.  

SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
11:48 AM

Ok. I just got back from a fifty-mile, winding-back-road drive in the new TSX. And while I don't like it in principle, I...wait, no. I still don't like it in reality.

Quick summary:

-If the old TSX was a visual standout, an interesting-looking car that seemed compact, efficient, and sporting, the new one is a bland, corporate-looking, warmed-over Accord. It doesn't even look that new; with the sole exception of the (unattractive) nose, it reminds me of the last-generation Accord. Disappointing.

-I'm sorry, but you notice the extra weight. The new TSX feels bulkier than the last one, it turns in slower, and it feels more sluggish with four people in it. Something has gone amiss. I know the TSX is essentially a mildly tweaked european Accord, but it feels too much like an easy out.

That's just preliminary stuff, but I'm kind of worried: No recent Acura has held my interest for very long. (And I'm a longstanding fan of cars like the Integra Type R and the NSX.) Where are they going? What are they doing?  

JoeDeMatio JoeDeMatio
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 04/08
02:11 PM

Oh, Sam. I agree with you and others that the TSX is not a winner in the looks department. And I agree that Acura continues to struggle, 22 years after debuting here, with how to define itself. But the TSX is a really, really nice car to live with on a daily basis. It still feels light and nimble, and the powertrain is so brilliantly calibrated. The six-speed manual transmission is an absolute delight to use, the best in the business and far, far better than anything from Germany. The cabin is very well put together, with quality materials and good ergonomics, and the level of standard equipment is very impressive. And whereas only a few months ago, when the new TSX debuted, Acura seemed niggardly and foolish for retaining its four-cylinder engine rather than bringing on a V-6, now the division seems downright prescient and brilliant for keeping the high-revving, efficient four in place. The TSX is the perfect entry-luxury sport sedan for the age of $4-per-gallon gasoline.  

sabfsu sabfsu
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 06/04/08
05:30 AM

Acura was the premier brand among the Japanese automakers when they were created by Honda.  Little by little, they have been passed up by Lexus and Infiniti.  They may be quality front-drive luxury cars, but they have forgotten their original mission.  

marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 06/05/08
07:18 AM

I just returned from a drive in the new TSX and I have to say, I agree with Sam.

A few points:
-The 4-cylinder TSX barely gets better mileage than the 6-cylinder BMW 328i. The highway ratings are the same and the city rating on the Acura is only 2 mpg better (20 vs. 18).
-The steering is a letdown on the TSX. It is far too dead on-center
-The car lacks grip and feels quite big and heavy
-The overload of buttons inside is annoying. And why so many controls on the steering wheel?
-The styling doesn't work for me. I think Acura is trying a bit too hard to be distinct but the end result isn't very attractive

That said, there are some very good things about this Acura:
-The suspension dampening is fabulous at legal speeds. It rides well with excellent control
-The gearbox is wonderful
-The engine is very responsive at low RPM for a normally-aspirated 4-cyl
-The equipment you get for the price is very impressive
-It feels very well screwed together

Overall, I feel Acura decided to loose some of the performance focus and go for the mainstream near-luxury market. This may be a good move from a marketing perspective but I still feel they could have broadened the market for the car while still keeping the car geeks happy.  

JasonCammisa JasonCammisa
Administrator | Posts: 141 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 06/09/08
09:31 PM

I put 70 miles on a TSX a few weeks ago and, sorry to say, I agree with Sam and Marc.

For starters, I think we all agree that it's not pretty. And the last one was gorgeous. Styling change solely for the sake of change resonates very poorly with me. There was nothing wrong with the last TSX; grafting that shield of ugliness on the front of it was about as bad a move as replacing the "Legend" nameplate with "TL." Almost.

Secondly, while I love, love, love the transmission, many of the people looking to buy a car in this segment don't care about a fantastic snick-snick six-speed manual. Or a rev-happy four-cylinder. Especially when, as Marc points out, the torquey, smooth in-line six in the 328i does just as well in fuel economy tests.

The suspension is great. But as a driver's car, the huge lag in throttle response is a deal-breaker.

As is the lack of steering feel. And the busy center stack, and the (to be honest) awful Bluetooth sound quality. And I'm sad that the engine has lost some of the burbly Honda four-cylinder personality that I used to love so much.

Is the TSX a bad car? Of course not! But it seems to me to be no better than the last. In fact, I like the last one better. And that's disappointing.  

solrac solrac
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 06/09/08
10:32 PM

I guess you guys will all be buying bimmers than. I think most of you guys are very biased towards the bmw. I actually work for Acura and I was at the right and drive event right before the TSX was released. I also had the opportunity to drive it's main competitors, the a4 2.0T, 328i, and the IS250. it performed very copetitively against all three and none of these cars even come close to the technology that this car has. My only issue with the car is the grill and the flared fenders, but I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket grills in a couple of months for this car. about the fuel economy ratings of the car being very similar to the 328i, I don't believe the 328i can match the real world fuel economy of the tsx since is a 4 cyl front wheel drive.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2014 Acura TSX
30635 - 39275
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Sedan, Wagon