Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

I miss my 240.

| 
SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/08/08
02:31 PM

I spent most of my high-school days (or is that "daze"?) trundling around in an '85 Volvo 240DL wagon, a behemoth of a car that seemed to do everything--except go quickly--well. I miss it, but try as I might, I just can't justify dropping the cash on one. I think that it's certainly destined to be a classic, but (even if I could find a nice one) I don't think most people feel that way. Anybody else got any underappreciated Volvos?  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 05/09/08
06:36 AM

A friend of mine had a Volvo 245 in college. It was dirt cheap, turbo, slow, and had a brake failure light. Pretty sweet ride, but certainly not worth the money to buy a decent example right now.  

76Dave 76Dave
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 05/08
09:26 AM

I learned to drive on a 1984 Volvo 245 (in '93)and I bought a 1986 244 in '96.  The '86 was my college commuter.  It was a rare '86 and a half model with push-button 5 speed overdrive.  It also had heated seats.  I bought it with 130k on the clock and I put 80k on it myself.  Paid two grand.  It was a great car and I do miss it.  The B23F/B230F engine is fantastic, but parts are expensive.

Recently, I had the opportunity to drive a new S40 and S60.  I am not impressed with either of them.  Neither looks nor feels like a Volvo.  They are just like everything else out there.  Enough said.  

76Dave 76Dave
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 05/08
09:32 AM

SSmith,

If you come across a fine example, buy it.  The  200,700,900 series cars are the last of the great Volvos.

76Dave  

JeanJennings JeanJennings
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 10/06
11:10 PM

Oh, this is so sad. The first car I ever bought (my actual first car was a free '57 Chevy that ran on three cylinders) was an eleven year old Volvo PV544, the model that looked like some old pre war Ford, with its big bulbous hood. I LOVED THAT CAR! I think it had a four-cylinder engine, and it had a bus-driver sized steering wheel and a four-speed manual. I put a quart of oil in it, oh, every 50 miles or so. I loaned it to my friend Pizza Allie from Pizza Bob's one weekend, alas. He gave it no oil, and the engine block cracked. I forgave him, but now that I think about it, I never forgave him.  

SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/20/08
12:58 PM

Sigh. This isn't a good thing. Now I just spent half an hour on eBay looking for Volvo 240s. And a 164 four-door drove by me on lunch.  

bayviewwilliams bayviewwilliams
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 05/26/08
08:34 PM

I've owned cars of all marques, but never a Volvo. Still, I have a ton of respect for the old 240's, and I am intrigued at how its owners talk about them. I would love to buy a 240 wagon just have as a beater car. They have so much character. And here in CT they are still pretty easy to find. One of these days...  

taildraggin taildraggin
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/17/08
04:42 PM

We had a very well kept 84 245 wagon until 2 years ago.  Something about them, yes.  The body and engine was heavily built and the interior dimensions are spot on.  The electrics were euro-dreadful.  Mileage was 25-26 with an auto.  It was a great car.

But, I had the 'monthly fixes'.  Window crank plastic bit blows out, water leaks, plugged engine ventilator plugs (clean by burning with bernzomatic) and causes engine to pump oil overboard on highway, leaving wife with broken rod and a long walk.  (I rebuilt it with a leatherman.)

I'd buy a new one today (with a good diesel and good electrics).  We don't even look at the new ones.  Subuaru ate their lunch long ago.  

Graduate, Rodan School of Automotive Design

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice