Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

The Euro cars I want in my driveway...

| 
marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 04/30/08
08:56 AM

I was reading a Brit magazine the other day and it featured a list of the best cars for under £15,000. Now, mind you, with the weak dollar that's the equivalent of around $30,000 but it got me thinking. What affordable cars do I long to see in my driveway? Here are a few that excite me.

Renault Clio Cup
-I did a story with Sam Smith in Wales just over a year ago with the regular Renaultsport Clio and we were blown away by the chassis. Sure, the steering doesn't offer enough feedback on the road and the engine needs to be worked hard but the little French car was amazing over challenging roads. The Cup version adds even more aggressive suspension tuning and takes A/C out of the game as standard.

Ford S-Max
-I drove this car in the UK last year and it was great. The Smacks (as the Brits like to call it) drives like a bigger Euro Focus, a good thing. It handles up to 5 or even 7 people with the optional 3rd row and looks cool. Too bad the poor exchange rate with the Euro will keep this excellent Ford out of America due to pricing. A pitty as this is a cool and fun family ride.

Ford Focus RS
-Coming soon to Europe with limited details released so far but we do know that it will be crazy. The hot hatch will still be front drive but there's talk of a trick limited-slip diff to control wheelspin and, more importantly, torque steer. Rumors say output should approach 300 hp. Good thing their chassis developers are some of the best. I've driven the Euro Focus ST and it's fantastic. It gives up some low speed handling to the VW GTI due to its heavy turbo five-cylinder hanging out front but that engine sounds fantastic and the Focus takes road imperfections like a rally car.

This list is obviously incomplete. So help me complete it. What cars do you long for in America?  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
11:57 AM

Land Rover Defender 90. Not exactly a car, but the Wrangler does nothing for me anymore.  

PhillyJake PhillyJake
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 10/07
12:22 PM

Whatever car that was that Cumberford drove in France, a small Citreon, I think.

A diesel Legacy would be cool.  Get some tourqe to push that AWD hardware.  

Or an Accord Tourer.  There's nothing really like it in our Market today.  Of course there are other cars in Europe like it.

Too many to list, as you say.  

taildraggin taildraggin
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/01/08
06:10 PM

If we're going to stay with the cheap stuff, the Civic i-CDTi is the one I'd most think about owning, but I'd really like to (act 24 again and) thrash a Focus RS and Clio for awhile.

The Aerial Atom would be the one I'd like to tuck away the most; something even purer than a Cobra or Caterham replica.  

Graduate, Rodan School of Automotive Design

f430shift f430shift
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/02/08
09:59 PM

agree w/ taildraggin. the atom is amazing. never drove it; just watched top gear and read etc, but you can just tell the thing as a great car.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2014 Ford Focus
16810 - 24115
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Hatchback, Sedan