1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

2008 BMW 1-series

| 
Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 04/11/08
08:48 AM

Share your thoughts on the 2008 BMW 1-series here. This car has been talked up by virtually every news outlet for the last year or two and it's finally on the roads. Let us know if you've driven one of these baby Bimmers and how you liked it. Or maybe the 1-series just doesn't do it for you. Either way, we'd love to know what you think.  

tekstrand24 tekstrand24
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/11/08
09:11 AM

The 1 series is going to be a great car. Esspecially with todays gas prices. For someone who needs more room then a MINI but not all the room in a 3 series. Plus it is going to be FAST!!!!! Cool The 135i is going to be amazing. We have a 535i and that thing is absolutely amazing. That engine in a smaller lighter car. Just perfect.  

4ron 4ron
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 04/12/08
04:42 PM

I bought a 135I in Sedona red with manual transmission. The car is awesome. I am still in the break-in period so I haven't pushed it hard but you can just feel its enormous capability in the steering and chassis response. Going through all those gears (6 total) takes some getting use to but it's much more of a sports car than a sports sedan. Well worth the money!  

SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/05/08
11:38 AM

It's fast, it's small, and it's fun, but something's still missing. Honestly, the weight bothers me the most.  3300-3500 pounds? That's as much as a first-generation (E23) 7-series. That's a second-generation (E30) 3-series, if you loaded two full-dress touring motorcycles into its trunk. I know modern times require modern amenities--seat heaters and nav systems and a hundred computers all have to weigh something--but the car still seems like overload. I want my small cars to be light, nimble, and fun. The 1-series gets two of those right...  

jmisaros jmisaros
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 05/15/08
11:59 AM

I agree that the 1-series is definitely too heavy but BMW got the proportions just right. In photos it hardly looks smaller than the 3-series but in person there's no way it can be mistaken for it's bigger brother. It's a blast to toss around and is amazingly quick. If I was a 3-series owner right now and I rarely needed a rear seat to actually seat adult humans, I would trade it in for a 1-series without a second thought.  

SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 07/15/08
01:59 PM

I'd like to amend the statements I made above, following a 600-mile road trip across Michigan in our long-term 135i:

It's fast, yes. It's enormously awesome, yes. But A) those rear seats are an impossible pain in the rear to get into, and B) it rides like a buckboard over anything resembling a bad road.

The 1-series is, fundamentally, a great car, but I'm wishing for a bit more usability (read: the five-door hatch that is sold in Europe but not here), and a bit more ride comfort with the 35i powerplant (it's only available in the states with the sport package).  

la.femme.amelie la.femme.amelie
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 07/22/08
11:23 AM

its a bit heavy for its size, only something like 300 pounds lighter than the 3 series ... i would totally get it if it had a inline 4 rather the larger 6 cylinder engine. the decrease in weight will help.  

ottorich ottorich
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/25/08
02:31 PM

I have spent a good amount of time in the 135i here in ann arbor, and i am thoroughly impressed.  There's plenty of power from the twin-turbo I6 and the manual transmission is a joy to shift.  It's one of the nicest gearboxes i have used to date.  Traction control works well on both wet and dry pavement, and the suspension is bang-on.  Overall, the 1-series is a great little sports coupe.  

marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 11/25/08
02:38 PM

The suspension is bang-on? It "bangs" over any road imperfections. Yes, it has excellent body control but the short wheelbase, run-flat tires, and 18-inch wheels don't do so well on Michigan roads. Fun car but the ride it quite brutal.  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 11/26/08
07:34 AM

135i is overkill. I would love a 128i with almost no options. You get all the great things about a BMW for (relatively) little money and the car doesn't feel underpowered. Oh, as a bonus you don't get stuck with a sport suspension package on the 128i, so it rides a lot better.  

j_rossdale j_rossdale
New User | Posts: 46 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/27/08
03:52 AM

It looks very nice! Much better than I expected! Well done!  

TwistedTuner TwistedTuner
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/04/08
10:09 AM

I'm loving the 1 series! I saw one the other day at the gas station and i loved it.  I was hoping they would be a little cheaper but I know they put in a more powerful engine so im not bothered.  

jsim jsim
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 10/09/09
04:17 PM

I definitely like the 1 series, but it is disappointing in all the ways people have pointed out here. Too heavy, no backseat, not really much cheaper than a 3. I wish they would bring over the 1 series 5 door and some smaller engines, including their diesels. What I was really hoping for with the 1 series was kind of a RWD Mini or GTI, but what they brought were 8/10ths 328/35i coupes + convertibles. So, for now, I will stick with my '06 325i sedan and it's 21 mpg.  

2006 BMW 325i (e90)

89cxsport 89cxsport
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 10/14/09
08:55 AM

I have driven a 128i and have to say if I could I would have in my driveway. It is a fun little car.  

Andrew Peterson Andrew Peterson
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 07/13/10
07:55 AM

The 1 Series is a great car, but as SSmith said, the weight bothers me. Most new cars weigh too much though. I've only driven the 128i, but it was still a blast. It's small and handles extremely well, as you'd expect. I'm really waiting for the 1 Series M Coupe.  

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice