Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Is a Porsche Boxster too good?

| 
marc.noordeloos marc.noordeloos
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 04/21/08
07:38 AM

I was told it was going to be 70 degrees and sunny in Ann Arbor over the weekend so why wouldn't I pick the Porsche Boxster S off the car board? I have fond memories of our four seasons 2006 Boxster S including a wonderful road trip from LA back to Ann Arbor so I was excited to get reaquanted with Porsche's two-seat convertible.

This 2008 version gets a horsepower bump from 276 to 295 and the torque jumps (or is that steps) from 236 to 252 lb-ft. Like our long-termer, this test vehicle was lightly speced with only bi-xenon headlights, auto climate control, and Bose radio as major options. Total price, a not inexpensive $61,380.

My drive home on Friday reminded me what a fantastic car this is. The steering is perfect, the ride quality amazing, and the structural rigidity is rock solid. So why is it that I didn't have a smile on my face every second this weekend. I thought about it and I came to the following conclussion: the Boxster is just too good.

Even with the power boost, the Porsche feels like it could handle 500 hp. There is just so much grip that the near 300 hp engine is swallowed by the chassis. Sure, you can get it to understeer if you're rude to the car but there is too much rear stick and not enough power to balance it with the throttle, at least on the street. And this is on the standard 18" wheels. The 19" setup should add even more grip. I kept hoping for a bit of rain just so I could have some fun. I remember that our long-term Boxster was far more enjoyable on winter tires than the summer tires. The loss in grip allowed you to exploit the full extent of the car on your local highway on-ramp.

I guess my overall point is that I still love the Boxster but I wish it was not so good of a car. I like something that slides around a bit, likes to dance, and has lower limits on the street. If you do plan to fix things, Porsche, can you also slightly tweak that shifter to be just a bit more precise? Thanks.  

Phil Floraday Phil Floraday
Administrator | Posts: 121 | Joined: 03/08
08:31 AM

My thoughts exactly. Still, every time I drive a Boxster I walk away really wanting to buy a used example. Boxsters can be a great deal on the used market.  

bigtime bigtime
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 04/08
02:45 PM

The boxster has a HUGE flaw. You can't see the engine! As long as I have a pair of balls between my legs I want to be able to open the hood - front or rear and see a real engine. The boxster stinks.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice