Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

A Nod to Old School Mercedes

| 
bayviewwilliams bayviewwilliams
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 02/19/08
09:28 PM

Pardon my ramble, but does anyone miss the Mercedes Benz cars of the 70's and 80's? I came across an old 300D Turbodiesel the other day. It's simple, clean and elegant styling still strikes me as good looking. I peeked inside the car to see 278k on the odometer. Think a modern C-Class will have the same appeal 30 years from now?
One of Automobile Mag's favorite Benz's was the 300E. David E. Davis Jr. still recalls it at one of his all time favorites, and I recall reading how he lamented seeing old, tired examples on the road, wondering if their drivers had any appreciation of what a special car they were driving.
That alone made me want to run out, buy one and give it some TLC.  

HobokenTim HobokenTim
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/20/08
08:50 AM

Mercedes has certainly lost it's way.  Form follows function is long gone.  Their style in now international generic and their quailty is in the cellar.  How sad!  

bayviewwilliams bayviewwilliams
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/12/08
09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Tim. I too think it is sad that Mercedes cannot, or will not build them like they used to, but I get a real sense of satisfaction when I see an old Benz on the road.  

MRDETROITMETAL MRDETROITMETAL
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 03/12/08
09:44 PM

I am more of a Caddy type, but you are right the Benz style of old is gone, however I don't think some of the new cars are going to lack the ability to stand the test of time, at least the top line cars, some of the smaller stuff....should just have been sold as VW's !!!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice