Item Posts   

2003 Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

| 
pshanley pshanley
User | Posts: 146 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 06/11/08
05:54 PM

Hi Michael:

Contact Jared Stamell in NYC, in Canada , I am dealing with Gary Hodder.  Let me know if you need anything further, my vote is we hold Honda accountable for their poor design etc.

Penny  

koastal22 koastal22
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/12/08
02:23 PM

Hi Penny,
  I left a message for J Stamell. Let me know if there is anything I can add to a collective effort to hold Honda accountable. thankyou again for your info... michael  

pshanley pshanley
Posted: 06/12/08
06:32 PM

Hi Michael:

Just please keep record of all dealings with Honda, try to get it all in writing.  If you can, keep any parts, fluids etc.  Be very careful in dealing with them.  Again, I cannot stress it enough, document everything, no matter how minor it seems.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Penny  

nh01honda nh01honda
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/16/08
12:45 PM

Our Odyssey is an 2001, it is now June 2008.  Our check engine light just came on - 80,000 miles - and the dealership pulled the code and diagnosed it as the transmission issue.  They ordered the new one and are replacing it under warranty, the one they put in will come with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.   I am surprised that with the reputation Honda has for quality about this, BUT...  I have had some experience over the past 6 years ....so how about a 1994 Toyota Pickup (supposed to be bulletproof right, WRONG - V6 engine gasket went at 45,000 miles, replaced under warranty and went again at 160,000 - then put a rebuilt engine in...) so should I never buy another Toyota??   or a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe, Motor Trend car of the year - brake rotors gone at 30,000 miles - $1200 bill...   hmmm... what about quality...  there..  so far I have been pretty impressed with my Honda Dealership and their quality...  I think we should expect cars to last 120,000 miles, but more than that ....don't know...   Hyundai's 100,000 warranty is nice..   I have some co-workers with some Volvo station wagons with 300,000+ miles on them and other friends who are trying to get rid of their Volvo station wagons because their model years were bad ones...   I think you need to average things out...  for now I think I will stick with Honda and Toyota..  I am pretty disillusioned with Infiniti dealerships...  

leo81001 leo81001
Posted: 06/16/08
08:17 PM

I don't understand what people mean when they say the vehicle "slips".

We have a 2003 honday odyssey ex.  We have a strange problem where the car shutters between 20 and 25 miles per hour and around 1500 rpm.
We have taken it in two times and the dealership says they can't replicate the problem and don't find anything wrong.

Is this the "slipping" people are referring to?

We had the recall notice and the dealership looked our vehicle over when we got the notice and said everything was fine.  

pshanley pshanley
Posted: 06/17/08
06:21 AM

That is another symptom of the transmission going.  Take it to a transmission speciality shop and have them run the diagnostics on it.  Mine took several months before the codes came up.  But it is happening, be very careful and document everything especially with the dealer.

Penny  

microjcz microjcz
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/08
06:58 AM

The issue I had with my 2003 was a slipping between second and third gear.  It started out with an occational slip but got worse as the summer heated up.  I picked up the van yesterday with the new transmission.  Dealer had Honda cover the majority of the repair with only $800 out of pocket.  You may want to consider taking it to another dealer.  I originally brought the van to the dealer near my house and they drove it for 3 miles and sent me home indicating no issue.  Another dealer performed and entire diagnostic and found the issue.  Ask the dealer to perform the diagnostic check list and look at the color of the fluid.  You may want to replace it now and check back in a few months.  Mine turned black after 2 months!  

jd508 jd508
07:23 AM

Here's a link for another un-Happy Odyssey owner... I contacted them about the same problem that I had with my 2002 honda.  I also called Honda and voiced my concern.  It turns out that my Odyssey had the transmission serviced 4 years ago and that the problem is back.  It's clear this is a dersign problem that honda had but did not address properly.  This is rapidly becoming grounds for a class action...I've added my name to the concerned party list.  I urge you to do the same.

D

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fa11e

We just had our 105K service maintenance and we notice our engine light came on with TCS light on and off. I took it to Mel Rapton Honda here in Sacramento and they found gears ok but came out with this code. Their diagnostic test indicate the need to replace transmission. I called Honda Corp 800-999-1009 and reported problem. A reprentative called me 2 days ago and offered to cover 50% of the cost. However, after finding out in the internet that this seems to be more common and no recall has been made, I reported this problem to NHTSA today and was given confirmation # ODI10230141. I advised NHTSA that there's quite a number of owners who have this P0740 problem and Honda has never bother to advise owners like us. There are owners, too, who have to have their transmission replaced twice. ANYONE who has P0740 transmission problem, please email me at slantinsbcglobal.net so I can include you in my report. The more, the better. Perhaps we can have lass-action

suit  

microjcz microjcz
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/08
08:03 AM

There is a law office in NYC handling the class action, call them at 212-566-4356  

pshanley pshanley
10:57 AM

DO NOT DEAL WITH EDMONDS, I TRIED TO CONTACT SEVERAL OTHER OWNERS, THEY BANNED ME.  Further, I tried to report the problem to NHTSA, but I was told because I was Canadian I could not.  I have contacted Transport Canada (our equivalent), they told me unless it was a safety issue, which it is, they could not or would not do anything.  I rec'd the P0740 Code, it cost me $4393.61 to have my transmission replaced.  Also, I have my old transmission which Honda desparately wants, no way, that is evidence for Trial.  Contact me at pshanley@bmts.com.  I am dealing with a lawyer in Toronto, Canada (Gary Hodder)trying to organize the Class Action on this side of the border.  Jared Stammell in NYC or Michael Kirby in California for your side.  Honda needs to be held accountable for this poor quality and design.  Honda is fully aware and has made the choice to selectively assist or replace transmissions.  WE ALL NEED ANSWERS AND RESOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, WORLDWIDE...

Thx Penny  

1999trojanhorse 1999trojanhorse
Posted: 06/18/08
12:51 AM

Thank goodness I found you guys!! I have been LOSING my mind with frustration about my 1999 Honda Odyssey since the engine check light went on "P0740"! For a while I was told the engine check light was on due to an catalytic converter and 02 sensor problem ($500), then a major tune up ($500), so I did not realize there were transmission problems until I FELT the tranny slipping recently. And then the "P0740" code finally came up! Because of the darn engine check light, I am unable to pass smog check in CA even though my emissions are fine--because they automatically fail any car when the engine check light comes on (note: do not try to smog check your car if the light comes on even if your problem is totally unrelated to smog issues!) and therefore cannot register and title the car in CA which is obviously a huge problem. At this point, it is a toss up whether the car is worth the cost of replacing the transmission--and it seems like there is not even a guarantee that it would resolve the car's issues. An independent mechanic took a thorough look and flat out advised me against fixing anything more. I am sooo frustrated!!! To run salt in the wound, the car JUST passed the 100,000 mark so that extended warranty won't apply (not that Honda bothered to tell anyone about it!). I will be calling the lawyer you guys listed tomorrow--thank you guys for putting it out there!  

Honda_Tex Honda_Tex
Posted: 06/24/08
07:43 PM

I have a 2000 Odyssey (bought new in 1999) with 140K miles.  The Check Engine Light is on and I have the dreaded P0740 code.  I am thankful that we were not in an accident or disabled as others report.  I have read the various posts on this subject and have already contacted American Honda.  First blush is that they will not do anything, but I am not giving up that easy... need to have a dealer confirm the P0740 found at a local reliable automobile repair shop (Christian Bros. BTW.)  Once I have the dealer confirm this code I will return my call to the American Honda folks who have already given me a Case number (while making no promises that we will be covered since we are out of the extended warranty/recall period.)  Very interested in others who have exceeded mileage limits of their Odysseys and yet have been successful in having American Honda pick up part or all of the cost of transmission repair.  I see several on the previous posts who are in a similar (while perhaps not as many miles) situation as myself.  

bsnow bsnow
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 06/25/08
11:02 AM

Hello,

More of the same-  my 2002 Odyssey is at the local dealer right now getting the transmission replaced, having failed at 96K miles.

My position here is that when the initial recall was done in 2004 when my car had only 30K miles and was still under warranty, they should have replaced the tranny then.  Instead, they installed an "oil jet kit" (which research tells me did not solve the problem), and now that we are out-of-warranty, we have complete tranny failure.  Honda is offering to split the cost with me to the tune of $1700. out of my pocket, as  "goodwill gesture".  Not feelin the goodwill here, since if they had done the right thing during the recall, it would have been completely covered by warranty then.

Also, it's obvious that the tranny problems continued to exist through 2002-2004, so at the very least they should have extended the drivetrain warranties on those years to 7 yrs/100K miles just as they had with the 99-01's.

Did the class action lawsuit ever get off the ground?  Could I get more info. on that if there is any?

Thanks,
Buzzy  

bsnow bsnow
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 06/08
11:40 AM

Hi,

My 2002 Odyssey is in the shop right now getting the transmission replaced.  I would like to join the class action lawsuit (if it's gotten off the ground), as well as be included in your report to NHTSA.  What kind of information do you need?

Thanks Much,
Buzzy (aka Rosalia Snow)  

chuck2oonz chuck2oonz
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 06/08
02:00 PM

didnt know the odyssey's were this bad  

First |  Prev |  4 |  5 |  6 |  7 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Honda Odyssey
28975 - 44600