1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts   

2003 Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

| 
riderchuck riderchuck
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/12/08
06:15 PM

We purchased our Odyssey new from a local dealer and just finished paying it off after 5 years. Mileage is close to 102K.  We have taken it strictly to the dealer for all servicing over that period except 3 times we had the oil changed at Oil Can Henry's.  In addition we always babied this vehicle.  So now the dealer is telling us, after our warrenty is up, that he's sorry but we need a new $3200 transmission.  We feel this is a travesty but have nothing to judge it against to see if we've got any kind of a case with Honda or the dealer.  Does anyone out there have any experience along these lines?  Thanks.  

Scribe39 Scribe39
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 02/12/08
08:16 PM

Sorry, no personal experience, but according to the Consumer Reports yearbook, Odyssey transmissions were much worse than average in 2001 and 2002, and worse than average in 2003. I would not be happy either.  

Beebert Beebert
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/13/08
07:57 AM

This sounds exactly like what happened with some friends' '99 Odyssey in Minnesota. At about 115K mileage their transmission went out. They had taken impeccable care of the vehicle (no towing or use in hilly areas), had the extended warranty run out a few thousand miles earlier, got no satisfaction from their dealer or Honda. They shelled out for a new tranny and got rid of it.

They now drive a Toyota Sienna, having bought their last Honda. Too much American management style is creeping into the Japanese manufacturers it seems. Then again, before the Japanese arrived one would have been happy to get 100,000 miles on an American car without major repair bills. Now we expect at least 200,000 but it would be hard to warranty anything that long. Splitting the bill would have been the obvious solution.  

stuckatwork stuckatwork
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/13/08
01:01 PM

honda had major problems with v6 transmissions. refer to NHTSA campaign # 04v176000.  

arulibaba arulibaba
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/06/08
08:17 AM

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The transmission just failed at 110K miles. I am being offered a $3200 transmission as well. From my research to this point it appears there was a recall but I was never informed despite the many times I went to the dealership to have the car serviced.

I am in the process of trying to find legal help as I think Honda is responsible for transmission especially when they were already aware of the problem.

I found a class action lawsuit for vehicles up to 2001. Please let me know if you had any progress in getting you transmission problem resolved.

I need to take this matter to the next level as it is the responsibility of Honda to own up to its level of quality over the years.  

pshanley pshanley
User | Posts: 146 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/10/08
04:20 PM

I own an 2002 Odyssey, and have relentessly pursued Honda Canada Customer Relations, only to be told to bad my van is out of warranty.  Too bad it is Honda's poor quality and design that have gotten us all into this mess.  Further, Honda promotes how high the van is rated in safety, if the transmission locks up that could potentially kill the driver or someone else.  I have contacted one of the lawyers who was involved in a Class Action Lawsuit against Honda regarding the Odyssey's of 1999-2001, they are very interested.  Suffice to say, if you want action and a new transmission at the cost of Honda, I can and will provide you with the full contact information to join the next Class Action Lawsuit against Honda Inc. involving the Odyssey's of the next generation.  

pshanley pshanley
Posted: 03/10/08
04:25 PM

I own a 2002 Odyssey and in involved in a battle with Honda Canada regarding my transmission.  Same story the van is out of warranty and Honda refuses to accept any responsibility of their poor quality and design.  I have contacted one of the lawyers involved in the Class Action Lawsuit of 1999-01's.  His name is Jared Stamwell in New York, he and his co-counsel (the lawyer who started the Class Action in California) are very interested in pursuing another Class Action.  Interested in joining, contact him or me.

Thx Penny  

dforbes dforbes
Posted: 03/13/08
08:01 AM

"From my research to this point it appears there was a recall but I was never informed despite the many times I went to the dealership to have the car serviced."

We currently have our 95,000km / 5.25 year old 2003 Odyssey in getting the transmission replaced, and I just had to comment on this.

Several years back I remember reading the newspaper one Sunday morning when I saw a little story about that recall notice. Obviously concerned that my family conveyor was unsafe, I called the dealership immediately and asked them what the process was for the recall that clearly affected our van.

"Honda will call you". [Actually they had no idea about the recall that I was reading about in a general interest section of a National Newspaper. My comments -- much of this entry -- might be more commentary about the dealer I dealt with than Honda]

So a couple of months went by and no call. On various service appointments after that I would again ask about the recall, asking if they were sure Honda was going to notify people, etc.

"Oh don't worry. Honda will call if you're affected."

A week back we were just about to schedule all around brake work when I pulled into our very gently inclined driveway, and while at the side of the vehicle unstrapping one of my sons from his carseat, the vehicle suddenly rolled backwards probably 4 or 6 inches. It went on long enough that I was in the process of jumping in to slam on the brake, sure that I somehow left it in neutral, which of course I hadn't. Then it started making clunking noises when put into and out of gear, and continued the rollbacks.

So after having a service tech *insist* that this rollback was "normal" (after being told that I've been parking the same van in the same driveway for 5 years, and I'm quite a bit more qualified to declare what's normal and what isn't than he is), after much very forceful pushing they took a look, and sure enough the transmission was in shambles.

My salvation was that I happened to, against my normal consumer behavior, sign up for the 6 year / 160,000km extended warranty when we bought the van, so this is all going to cost me $25 for their deductable. I still feel rather irritated about the whole thing, about not having my van for three days, about not being contacted, ever, despite persistent queries, about a potentially dangerous transmission fault. About the fact that only an extra $1200 up front saved me from a $3500 charge, and even then it was just damn lucky that it came to the forefront before this final year of the extended warranty runs out, and damn lucky that I was pushy enough to get it seriously looked at.  

meanari meanari
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/15/08
06:45 PM

I have my first and last Honda. My van was driving wrong but I was unsure what the problem was. I had hesitation in moving forward and when you hit the brakes hold on. The van would down shift hard. I took it to Apple Tree Honda and was told it needs a new trans which was under extended warranty. They kept it for about 10 days and when I go it back it appeared to be fixed. One year later 20k put on it started again. Iwas told by honda it would have a 24k 2yr warranty on the new one. I take it in to Apple Tree and they tell me we will have to test drive it. They will not let me drive it and I know I could get it to duplicate the problem. Instead the shop manager drives. He pulls out I mean crawling which I tell him it will not do it unless he is going faster. I also tell him on a hill that it down shifts hard and when we come to a hill I kid you not this joker starts riding the brakes before we even get to the top of the hill. I again explain that it only does when you are slowing not stopping like if you are going to make a turn with no oncoming traffic. He proceeds to tell me that the problem is my driving. I leave mad as hell and imediately call Forest City Honda. I am told the trans will only have 12k warranty unless I have a paper stating 2yr 24k when I go out to the van to see what the paper says I find that the only paperwork I was given was a paper with pictures of axels saying the van was not out of line. So I call Honda Forest City back and he runs my vin# and finds that my van is coming up as someone else owning it according to the vin and that there is nothing they can do to help me that I need to go back to Ed Voyles Honda in Atlanta and get it straigtened out. I am so mad and dissappointed at the same time. I truly thought Honda was a better vehicle than it has proven to be.  

meanari meanari
Posted: 03/15/08
06:53 PM

Hi according to Honda there never was a (recall) but the warranty was extended. Two Honda dealers I spoke with personally did not even now about the extended warranty. You can go to the Honda website and go to recalls and type in your vin# and only then will you know about any I this. I had a Ford Excursion with trans problems and I didnt have half the trouble dealing with them as I have had with Honda Never again will I purchase a Honda.  

50dad 50dad
Posted: 03/19/08
07:34 PM

I have a 2003 Odyssey with 75k miles. Honda sent a notice several years ago regarding the transmission.  I don't remember the details other than the action Honda took was dependent on the number of miles and results from an inspection.  For our mileage, Honda performed an inspection of the transmission and determined that there was no indication of excessive heating and they then supposedly performed a retrofit of the fluid flow system to keep the tranny better lubricated.  Our transmission later failed and the local dealer claimed to make a pitch to corporate and we got a complete replacement for free.
The reason I'm here is that my wife just called to say that she came out to the van to find that the driver window fell off the track (while parked).  Anyone know how to open the door up?
Another side note, my 2002 Civic (70 miles after a 75k service) is at the dealer because its tranny just failed.  This replacement is not free.  Anyone know of an inherent problem with Honda tranmissions?  

johnm12501 johnm12501
Posted: 03/19/08
07:41 PM

I have a 99 odyssey and have had the transmission replaced twice now.  The first time they wanted to change it for 5800.  Whoa!  I did a little research and found they had a problem with transmissions in their accords and odysseys.  I returned to the dealer explaining there is no reason the transmission should go out at 84,000 miles.  They made a few calls and said they'd do it for $300.  Essentially free. there was some other part that needed to be replaced when replacing the transmission.  What a relief.  Then at about 125000 miles the same ol thing happened again!  I returned to the dealer. This time they'd replace it for $1,200.  A lot of money but with the transmission not working the van was worth nothing.  I had it replaced.  I figure its only time before it goes out again.  The van has been paid for for  7 years now and the only thing i occasionally have to fix is the tranny.  Not happy about it buts cheaper than buying something else.  With gas going up, when I've got the money I'll get something a bit more fuel efficient.  Good Luck.  They know they have a problem.  Talk to the regional manager and make a stink.  They are fixing these all the time!  

pshanley pshanley
Posted: 03/20/08
05:22 AM

We are in the process of starting another Class Action lawsuit against Honda regarding the transmissions.  I have contacted one of the original attorney's involved with the previous Class Action regarding the 1999-2001's.  His name is Jared Stamell of New York, telephone no. 212-566-4356.  Contact him.

Penny  

pshanley pshanley
Posted: 03/20/08
05:27 AM

What year is your vehicle.  The Odyssey's from 1999-2001 were all involved in a Class Action Lawsuit, and Honda ended up doing a recall.  I have the same problems with the transmission, I have contacted one of the original attorney's involved in the abovementioned Class Action, his name is Jared Stamell of New York, telephone number is 212-566-4356.  We are starting another Class Action Lawsuit against Honda in both Canada and USA, Honda has worldwide transmission problems and need to be held accountable.  

rbosma rbosma
Posted: 03/24/08
02:51 PM

I have a 2003 Odyssey with only 51K miles.  My wife who drives the vehicle says that it "slips" sometimes when getting into gear.  Four times she has punched the gas, the rpms go up, but it takes a while for it to get into gear.  She has punched the gas three times before it finally went.  Honda is offering to pay half of a new transmission, but the repair guy does not think that it is a trasmission issue.  Do these sympthoms sound like the transmission is bad, or is it something else?  How did you know when your transmission was "dead"?  

1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |  Next   | Last 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Honda Odyssey
28975 - 44600
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Minivan/Van