Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Smart ForTwo, Stupid Americans?

| 
drtaylor drtaylor
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/29/07
05:59 PM

Thank you _Automobile_ for the absolute confirmation of a conspiracy theory in your article in the February 2008 issue on the Smart ForTwo.  How this tiny car, already reported at 40 mpg city and 60 mpg highway in one of your summer 2007 issues, can be shipped to the good old USofA and get Ezra either 31 or 38 mpg at best, is beyond comprehension.  For Ezra to report that it requires downshifts in advance to keep the momentum going to get up hills is just flat unbelievable.  My 1988 Chevy Sprint, also a 1000cc 5-speed, but a 5-door four-passenger car twice the size of the ForTwo, got a dependable 57 mpg, did not lose momentum on a downshift, and rarely required one in highway driving anyway.  Why on earth does Mercedes Benz think the car will sell on size alone?  Did Exxon tell them that or do they just want us to continue funding Al Quieda?  

simonhr simonhr
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/30/07
09:32 PM

What amazes me about the Smart for2 that is now being imported to the states is that you incredable self centred people south of the border can't relate to diesel powered cars. The Smart for2 that has been quite successful north of the border for the past 4 years has a small diesel powered engine that actually gets 80mpg on the highway. Because you folks down there dont believe that anything outside your borders exists and that no one could possible make a diesel powered car that didnt sound like a Mack truck you get the less fuel efficient model of a great little commuter car. As far as downshifts go, thats how manual gear boxes work.. as your engine speed drops you need to change to an appropriate gear, its not "automatic".  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 01/01/08
12:06 AM

I am greatly saddened by the apparent destruction of the Smart car's mileage.

As reported by another poster here-the diesel model gets fantastic mileage.

There is no excuse for any car this small not getting over forty five miles per gallon.

I own a 5-speed 2000 Toyota Echo which is larger(not by much),heavier and has an incredibly flexible powerband in it's little engine that gets 43 miles per gallon on a regular basis.

But Ezra's article was fantastically written and read as honest as you could get.

Thanks to him for the info.

I no longer want anything to do with any 'Smart' car.

If Toyota does'nt upsize the gas mileage out of the new Corolla or the Yaris( a car I like ALOT LESS than my Echo)-either of those or the Civic will be my next car purchase.

And if they have a cvt transmission in any of them,I won't buy that either.

I like transmissions that shift.  

gybognarjr gybognarjr
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/02/08
07:55 PM

It is not a good idea to make unfounded accusations, since you cannot know and cannot verify that all of the people in the US are self centered.  Therefore, your raving accusations remain just that.  We may on occasion be self centered, as anyone else can be, no more, no less, but your comments remain prejudiced, meaningless, idiotic and stupid.  

ttommy08 ttommy08
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/02/08
12:15 PM

I basically DISAGREE with EVERYTHING you all have said.
I have a 2002 Passion Cabriolet and have had it for 2 years and 3 months. Have put 20000 miles on it, so I know what I'm talking about. The mileage is FINE, the ride is FINE, the acceleration is FINE and the way it makes me feel is WONDERFUL. I have another car (2001CLK430 Cabriolet) bue I prefer driving the Smart. I have a 2008 ordered. It is an improved version of my car, but if I could'nt get the 2008, I would be FINE with my 2002. I have been in the car business since 1980(same dealership) selling Chevrolet, Subaru, Saab, Dodge, Alfa Romeo, Porsche and Mercedes. Now it is just the later two mentioned in that last sentence. I have had Corvettes, 944's 928's Camaro SS  saab turo convertible Suzuki sidekick(sorry I forgot we used to sell Suzuki's too) My wife has 2005 E 320 diesel, daughter 2008 ML320 Diesel. Why do I tell you all of this? Because I know about and have some cars. The Smart is, fun, safe, echonomical, and GREEN!I say go get one(or 2)!!  

48states 48states
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 02/21/09
12:38 AM

Isn't it funny how people who really don't know much about the smart are almost always negative about it, while those in the know praise it!  Smile

I've had mine for almost 8 months and it is by far the most fun car I've ever owned.  Others may complain that it costs too much for what you get (roominess) or the MPGs aren't as high as they'd expect for a car this size.  Well, speaking for myself, I am almost always the sole occupant ... and, I honestly didn't buy it for MPGs, I'd have bought a hybrid if that was my primary concern.  BTW, smart has the highest MPGs for any non-hybrid car which meets USA emissions standards.

I bought mine because it is small, fun to drive, dare I say cute, different and not bad in the MPGs either.  It's a great conversation starter.  Sure couldn't say that about my last car.  I didn't want another vanilla car.

I live 300 miles from the nearest dealer.  Haven't had a reason to return since I took delivery.  Consumer Reports ranks in the the high end for reliability.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice