Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Oldsmobile vs Buick

| 
jacktman jacktman
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/23/07
11:58 AM

I had an argument the other day about the "rankings" of the old GM divisions.I contended that the low to high order used to be Chevy-Pontiac-Olds-Buick-Cadillac. My relative thought that Oldsmobile ranked "higher" than Buick.Can anyone please set the record straight? I know that an optioned out Chevy, for example,could cost more than a Pontiac stripped, but I'm talking about the overall "status" of the makes.Thanks in advance.  

Scribe39 Scribe39
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/23/07
07:46 PM

Buick ranked next to Cadillac, then Olds. Oldsmobile was known as the "experimental" division since it had some options before the others.

Buick was known as the "doctor's car," since they wanted a high-class, powerful vehicle but didn't want their patients to believe they rated a Cadillac -- even though they had the dough . . . :-)  

georgemia georgemia
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/24/07
06:45 PM

Hard to imagine, but there was a time when showing off with a flashy car was considered poor behavior.   Buick, was "success," but not ostentatious, like Cadillac.

I suppose that's one reason that the American car industry remained stuck in the middle, as imports from Europe claimed the high end of the market, and imports from Asia grabbed the bottom.

And as the American middle class is squeezed to extinction, so goes Detroit.  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 11/28/07
04:48 PM

It was Cadillac-Olds-then Buick.

But Buick and Olds competed for that second place and it often made Buick turn out better cars.

See what unit survives today?

Buick.  

wessam61 wessam61
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 01/03/08
10:54 PM

Belive me, I'm that old. It's  Cad, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chev. Thats the way Harley Earl wanted it.  

golfmarty golfmarty
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/03/08
06:38 PM

I'm that old, too!  And it for sure was Cad, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and then Chevrolet!  

j_rossdale j_rossdale
New User | Posts: 46 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/27/08
02:19 AM

Buick Regal - My mother had one and it drove very well for a very long time.  

ruffydonutguy99 ruffydonutguy99
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/17/09
07:16 PM

Maybe in terms of sedans I'd agree with your ranking, but overall (including SUV and Trucks) I'd have to say Chevy division out ranks Pontiac.  

How about GMC, Lenny?  Where are they?  Oh yea Saturn and GMC outrank Chevy.  Hoobah!  

Evan.McCausland Evan.McCausland
Administrator | Posts: 155 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 03/18/09
06:57 AM

I think we're talking about GM's "order of preference" for its divisions back in the '60s-'70s.

In those days, GMC was simply a commercial vehicle division - most dealers that sold light-duty pickups could also sell you a class 8 cabover tractor, if you were so licensed and/or inclined.

Ah, the good ol' days. Wish I was around for 'em...  

Steve Seymour Steve Seymour
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/03/14
08:58 AM

A lot of interesting facts here.  I'm old enough to remember, too, but if you need reference, Charles Hyde's book, "The Dodge Brothers," will confirm the Ch-P-O-B-Ca order (see pg. 190.)
William Durant did a lot of order maneuvering, originally.  Louis Chevrolet never wanted a "cheap" car; as a racer, he wanted fast and upscale sportsters to be his legacy.  David Buick tried to set up competition directly with Ford, and wanted to go for high volume.  Neither man could have any influence over Durant.  Once he had possession of a name, he did what he wanted.
 But it was Alfred Sloan who really established the final pecking order of the original corporate offerings.  In 1926, the Oakland name in the branding took on Pontiac, which shortly ended up outmarketing Oakland, and that name was dropped.
 Likewise, LaSalle, which was a low end Cadillac, eventually outlived its purpose. It was one of designer Harley Earle's gems, though.
 Saturn was SO much later, and never really took position anyplace, never turned a real profit, and truthfully was the "Edsel" of GM, despite a lot of good effort and technology.  It was an innovator when most of GM was still reeling of the shock of Asian competition.
 Way more than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but I hope some car geek out there could get a tidbit or two out of this.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice