Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2008 Dodge Caravan Resurrects the Stowable Table

| 
bimmer98 bimmer98
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/07/07
01:34 PM

http://blogs.automotive.com/6212448/miscellaneous/2008-dodge-caravan-chrysler-town-country-less-expensive/index.html

08Dodgegrdcrvn9tx9

But will it stick around this time or be folded back into the floor for good?   Laugh

DVD players, Sirius Backseat TV and the Rear Park Assist cam make this a nifty little prize.  

Have you guys ever owned or been in a minivan with the swivel seats?  What were your impressions?  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 11/11/07
03:35 PM

I love what Dodge has done with the Caravan.

It's styling retains the Dodge and Chysler identity while it's modern look updates the line very nicely.

This van looks much nicer in person than it does on the tv or in pictures.

The table and seat combination is a spectacular addition to the line and it makes Dodge and Chysler the only ones who can offer such a great feature.

I would only add that there is a hidden market for the Caravans that have the stow and go seating in the cargo and trademans market that their light weight carrying capability hurts them on.

I work in D.C. installing office furniture and I often carry people and tools in our venerable old 2000 Caravan to parking garages.

That's the only place we can park.

If Dodge made a commercial version with a higher weight carrying capability aimed at labor carriers and freight carriers,I think it would sell well.

Just please advertise it when/if you make it.

All in all, though a great redesign.

I recommend this van to anyone looking for a supremely comfortable, people mover and a great family van as well.

Gets over twenty miles per gallon on the hwy on regular gas as well.

Great Job,Dodge and Chrysler.  

bimmer98 bimmer98
Posted: 11/30/07
12:34 PM

Thats actually not a bad idea at all.  Making a model designed for labor workers with similar duties makes a lot of sense.  Perhaps it would even make dollars.

There could probably be more room in the back for full sized adults, right?  

hammatime hammatime
Posted: 11/30/07
07:55 PM

Dodge really does'nt have to change ANYTHING design wise to make this happen.

Just increase the weight carrying ability of the van.
And,they could cut costs by calling it a Caravan Tradesman model and putting vinyl floors in it and just as durable less ornate clothe fabrics.

Now,I'm not talking about a cargo van although they made those at one time and took a bath on them because they would'nt sell.

I'm simply talking about a van with windows with less interior goodies but with the stow and go system,and the ac that has the rear ac availible(for crew vans) and a high weight carrying capability.

That's going to be hard to do because right now,everybody is trying to just make money to stay in business let alone start a new trim line.

And Dodge/Chrysler have the added disadvantage that even though they make a great van,their van always gets sighted as the example when people want to hate on the minivan.

Really unfair,as their van is a great vehicle with a good durability record.  

bimmer98 bimmer98
Posted: 12/18/07
12:37 PM

Hey Hammatime, I thought of your comments when I ran into this: http://www.allpar.com/model/m/cargo-van.html

Is that what you're talking about?  
Cargovankn8
Cargovankn8

The Grand Caravan is getting high scores and rave reviews all around, seems like a solid vehicle.  Good for lugging around equipment, good for the young kids' enjoyment and not too shabby for the older kids either.  All you need in there is a sweet toy like a GPS device so that you don't get yourself lost.  (FYI Tele Atlas map data is always better)

Being an older kid myself, I prefer something more like a portable iPod charger (Energi-To-Go) to keep me entertained on a long ride instead of a card table and cartoons, but hey, what can you do, right?  

bimmer98 bimmer98
Posted: 01/17/08
03:38 PM

Just to follow up, here's a shot of the inside of the Caravan with a full sized person back there - theres plenty of space!

Img6793ny7

No troubles at all sitting back there, and sitting across from someone was no biggie either.  

hammatime hammatime
Posted: 01/18/08
04:40 PM

Thanks bimmer 98,but it would still have to move people so it would still have to have the stow and go seating system.

It's a hard thing to do because there is only so much money Dodge would save because everytime they substitute something for the parts they already use,they have to buy and stock those parts too.

But I am happy to see that alot of people have decided that the minivan is not dead and it is a very useful vehicle and Dodge/Chrysler has done exactly the right things to their product to make them the top dog in the field,value wise.  

bimmer98 bimmer98
Posted: 01/24/08
01:42 PM

Yeah I see what you're saying.  I agree with you that its wonderful to see the success of the minivan and even cooler to see Dodge stay on top for so long!  

Yeah I can see how the Stow 'n Go setup would be more useful than the Swivel 'n Go for utility.  Interesting.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice