Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

A Miniature MINI

| 
MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/06/07
05:30 AM

With Mercedes about to unleash its Smart ForTwo here in the States, I was thinking about the potential competitors that might arise if this car does well here.  My greatest hope is that BMW (the natural competitor of Mercedes), who already build the new MINI, will do a truly microcar in the spirit of the classic Mini.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think our current MINIs are good successors to the classic British Minis that were sold from the '60s all the way through year 2000.  Don't get me wrong, the new MINI is a great car, but it really isn't very mini!  It's downright huge if you park it next to an old one.  The reason I like the old Mini is the fact that it is truly tiny; that's a big part of what gives it its charm.

So I was thinking how great it would be if BMW would design and build a truly miniature MINI to compete with the Smart.  I'm thinking REALLY small here, like 100" total length, 2 seater, 1.0 - 1.2 liter 4 cylinder engine making around 80hp, and with a curb weight of about 1500 lbs.

I figure with a significantly lower roofline and correspondingly lower center of gravity than the Smart, along with the wheels pushed way out at each corner, a mini MINI would have killer handling, and be a blast to drive.  This car could be marketed as the sportier alternative to the Smart.  And with its light weight and small engine, I'll bet it would get at least 50 mpg.

I doubt BMW is planning anything like this, but I sure wish they would build a truly mini MINI.  What do you guys think?  Are there enough people who would buy it if they did build it?  

bimmer98 bimmer98
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 10/07
07:16 AM

I like the idea. I think it would work well in metropolitan cities, like Washington DC, New York and San Francisco.  

b5thomas7 b5thomas7
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
03:00 PM

I love the idea of any lightweight, small, sporty car. Initially, I was very enthusiastic about the Smart Fortwo. After test driving the car twice, my opinion changed quickly. The suspension is as soft as a Buick and the drive is nowhere near engaging. The raised and forward driving position reminds me of a crossover vehicle=boring. It is a shame that the Smart was not designed to be sportier given its light weight. A much shorter Smart competitor with stiffer susupension and more power would be amazing. A low center of gravity and a more exciting seating position is a must. BMW, a new mini-mini would rock! Anyone else with me on this?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice