1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

25 Greatest Cars of All Time

| 
Intern Dave Intern Dave
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 08/02/07
12:21 PM

These cars are from Automobile Magazine's original shortlist for the 25 Greatest Cars of All Time feature. From this list the editorial staff whittled the final twenty-five cars. But maybe we missed something good? Or maybe there's a car there that doesn't belong? To give you a voice, we've included the entire list for you to look over. In addition, feel free to weigh in if you feel there is an important car that didn't make it onto the list at all.

The 25 Greatest Cars photo galleries are here:
www.automobilemag.com/features/lists/twenty_five_greatest_cars/photo_galleries

Driver's Cars

Lotus Elan
BMW M3 (E30)
Volkswagen GTI (A1)
Austin Mini
Alfa Romeo GTV
Bugatti Type 35
Porsche Boxster
BMW 3-series / 2002
1961-64 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Acura Integra Type R
Porsche 911
Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works (modern)
Ferrari F40
Lotus Elise
Porsche 911 2.7RS
Alfa Romeo Guilia Sprint GTA
Mazda MX-5
Caterham Seven
Jaguar E-type
Stutz Bearcat
Duesenberg SJ roadster
Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray
Alfa Romeo Spider
Subaru WRX
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Ferrari F430
Porsche 911 GT3
Porsche Cayman S
Jaguar XKSS
Lancia Aurelia Gran Turismo
Maserati A6 GS

Technologically Marvelous

1980 Audi Quattro
Porsche 959
1955 Citroen DS 19
Bugatti Veyron
Jaguar E-type
Tucker Torpedo
Citroen Traction Avant
Original Dodge Caravan
Cord 810 / Cord L-29
Toyota Prius
Audi TT DSG
Cadillac Automatic
1912 Cadillac Electric Start
Mini Austin Seven
BMW 2002 Turbo
1958 Lotus Elite
1992 McLaren F1
Mercedes-Benz S-class
Ford Model T
1940 Oldsmobile Automatic
1955 Cadillac with Air Con
1886 Benz Patentwagen
1895 Panhard et LeVassor
1901 Mercedes 35 hp
1946 Volkswagen Beetle
Chevrolet with Small Block V-8
1968 Lamborghini Miura
2004 Porsche Carrera GT
Saab 99 Turbo
Fiat 128

Supercars

McLaren F1
Lamborghini Miura
Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona
Ferrari F40
BMW M5 (E28)
Acura NSX
Dodge Charger 440 +6
Ford GT
Porsche 959
Ferrari F430
Bugatti Veyron
Plymouth Superbird
Mercedes-Benz 300SLR Gullwing
Lamborghini Countach
Mercedes-Benz SSK
Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
Ferrari Enzo
Ferrari 250 GTO
Ford V-8
Blower Bentleys
1949 Cadillac Series 62 V-8
1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray
Porsche 911 Turbo
Porsche Carrera GT
Shelby Cobra 427
Alfa Romeo 8C 2900
Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Racing Cars

Lotus 49
Bugatti T35
Porsche 917
Cooper T45 / Cooper Climax
Porsche 935
Plymouth Superbird / Dodge Daytona
Ford GT40
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Shelby Cobra 289 / Daytona Coupe
Mini Cooper
Audi Quattro
Auto Union V16 / Type C / Type D
Chaparral 2J
Brabham Cooper Indy Car
Blower Bentley
Porsche 956 / 962
Jaguar D-type
Audi R8 / R10
Modern F1 car
Henry Ford's 999 Land Speed Record Car
Spirit of America Land Speed Record Car
Watson-Offy Indy Roadster
1926 Miller 91
1972 Gurney Eagle
1977 Lotus 78
WRC Group B
Mercedes-Benz W154
McLaren MP4/2
Maserati 250F
Miller 122
Lotus 25

Icons

Porsche 911
Volkswagen Beetle
Ford Model T
Austin Mini
Shelby Cobra
Chevrolet Corvette
Willys Jeep CJ
1959 Cadillac Eldorado
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
Aston Martin DB5
1932 Ford V8
Jaguar E-type
1957 Chevrolet
Ford Mustang
Chrysler Minivans
BMW 3-series
Jeep Cherokee
Duesenberg J/SJ
Bugatti Royale T
Stretch Limousine
American pickups
Jeep Wrangler
BMW M3
Mercedes-Benz SL
Ford F-150
Cadillac Coupe de Ville
GM EV1
Ferrari 250 GTO
Cadillac Series 62
Packard Twin Six  

eurostar eurostar
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 08/07/07
12:53 PM

too many significant cars are missing; the entire exercise is a little futile to begin with anyway and I can't figure out why you bothered.  In any case, some Lancia models are missing from your various short lists.  The very significant Lancia Lamda and Lancia Aprilia from your technical Marvels shortlsts, the Lancia Stratos from your Supercar listing and the Lancia D50 from your racing cars listing.  And where is the Fiat 500 from your icons list?  I would have also added the various Tatras as Tech mMrvels, surely the equal of a Tucker...greetings from Switzerland!  

FlyingT FlyingT
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 08/07/07
04:59 PM

Somewhere the original 240Z must be listed.  That car put the Japanese auto industry on the map in the USA.  

englitrob englitrob
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 08/08/07
12:08 PM

I fully agree. Vintage Japanese cars are no where to be found on this Euro-centric list, or cars like the long running line of Z's, the Toyota Supra or Acura NSX (first all-aluminum car). Toyota didn't supplant GM one the back of the Prius.  

StantheMan_722 StantheMan_722
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/09/07
08:46 PM

I don't see how the Acura NSX couldn't have made the list somewhere. Whether in supercars, or technologically marvelous, or racing even. It was the reason Ferraris are as good as they are today: they had to step it up big time or they could see they were gonna get beat at their own game by the *** And what about the AC/Shelby Cobra? Come on guys, the Corvette would never have lasted without some good ole' Blue Oval competition! And where was the original GT40 in the racing category? It easily shoulda' beaten the Auto Union thing for a spot on the list. Easily. Most of the selections were good, but there were definitly some glaring omissions.  

StantheMan_722 StantheMan_722
Posted: 08/09/07
08:49 PM

They must have edited out the slang word for Japanese on my post above. oh well, you get the message.  

FlyingT FlyingT
Posted: 08/12/07
02:25 PM

Actually, the Shelby Cobra is mentioned twice.  

FlyingT FlyingT
02:27 PM

On second count, the Cobra is mentioned 3 times.  

LateNightCable LateNightCable
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
04:32 PM

The Bugatti Veyron has no business being on the list at all. It's not so much a technological marvel, but rather an excercise is wretched excess of already existing technology, and there is no category for that.
The 1886 Benz Patentwagen was an interesting technological experiment, but hardly marvelous or even remotely practical. It's always been one of those highly overrated achievments, one which Mercedes-Benz continues to cash in on. It's no Model T.

The 1955 Cadillac with air-conditioning, and even ol' the Prius top these cars for their accomplishments.

As for driver's cars, I think most of the choices were very sound, especially the E30 M3 and Lotus Elan. The one exception being the Ferrari F430 - in no way trumps say, a Lotus Elise or Exige as a driver's car, because the F430 is not pure and essential enough, unlike the other four choices. As such, it's a glaring mistake in that category, and a total popularity vote.  

As for supercars, with all due respect to antique cars, because I love them, but seriously, how good was the Alfa Romeo 8C 2900?? The Acura NSX indeed deserves a spot, because it shook up the sportscar game, ( making Ferrari take notice to some extent I'm sure ) and remained fresh for many years. To this day it's still one of the best everyday exotics.  
The Lamborghini Miura, while very good looking, should probably hand it's medal to the Countach, which in a very long production run, established the reputation of the raging bull as that of a major lust mobile worldwide. Along with likes of the Ferrari Testarossa, and the later Diablo, the Countach symbolizes the hey day of the exotic supercar.

As for Icons, the Dodge Viper has proven to be a most worthy one, not only for the nation, but for Chrysler, probably on par with the K-cars, but obviously in a different way. And who could argue with the Corvette's place?  

stephanoND90 stephanoND90
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/14/07
03:46 PM

I feel that this was somewhat poorly conceived.  First of all you have Driver's Cars and Supercars categories (like you could have a supercar that is not a driver's car) and then proceed to list at least 2 Supercars in the Driver's Car category (F40 and F430).  It seems a bit arbitrary and convoluted.  Also why do you have a racing car category? That is a totally different animal and should get its own list if you feel its important.  And what about cars that are not available in the US for example I don't see the Nissan Skyline anywhere even nominated but I have heard that it was (or still is) an amazing car for many years.  Also, your anti-Asian bias is just a bit too transparent.  Not only did you neglect to include even one Asian car as a finalist but excluding the NSX just takes the cake!!!  We all know that many experts have considered it one of the greatest cars of all time for its excellent feel, handling, driving postion, outward visibility, comfort, reliability, economy, sounds and overall design.  Additionally, it was a milestone in the automotive world because it: was the first practical supercar, was one of the first (if not first) all aluminum unitbody production car, was the first rear engine supercar from Asia, was the first supercar made by a high volumn car company in many years and forced Ferrari to rethink its product designs.
Finally, how did the Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT and 959 not make it in the final list?  

socalruss socalruss
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 08/14/07
11:18 PM

Yeah, Stanthe(Man?)  We get your message loud and clear.  This site has too much class and dignity to be publishing ignorant comments.  

BurnedAtStake BurnedAtStake
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/07
Posted: 08/16/07
08:02 PM

Wheres Volvo??? For me Volvo deserves to be included in the list...  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 08/18/07
05:23 PM

I thought youdid a great job considering no matter what you did,you'd get hammered for it.

I especially liked the cars as the list progressed.

The Citroen has always been an incredible landmark in automobile developement to me.

Aerodynamics,suspension and brakes put it fourty years ahead of it's time.

Excellent job,fella's and ladies.  

DaveR DaveR
Posted: 08/28/07
08:00 AM

I had a 1957 and also a 1958 Dyna Panhard. These cars were great consisting of aluminum construction with an aircooled 2 cylinder engine of 750 cc's and 50 horsepower... a bit better than 1hp per cubic inch.
Used to race these at Limerock in the imported sedan class.
The only downside was winter heating the interior  

SamBlob SamBlob
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/07
Posted: 09/03/07
03:01 AM

Might I suggest the Five Most Outrageous Cars of All Time?  The five cars that most expressed the idea of TOO MUCH?  If so, here they are:

1. Lamborghini Countach - the poster child of supercar excess... literally.  Countach posters were about as popular as Chrissy or Farrah posters back in the day.  The Countach was a truly horrible car, but at 185 mph, or looking like it was doing 185 when standing still, who cared?

2.  Porsche 930 (original 911 Turbo) - this car looked and acted like a 911 on steroids: more muscular, more powerful, more aggresive, and a *lot* less stable.

3.  Bentley 4 1/2-Litre Supercharged (Blower Bentley) - The 911 Turbo of the '20s and the ultimate image of British sports car masculinity.  Too bad that it was unrefined, unreliable, and, apart form being fast and expensive, was just about everything a Bentley should not have been.

4.  Shelby Cobra 427 / AC Cobra 7-Litre - I first read of this car in the same publication in which I first read of Arnold Schwarznegger and Strom Thurmond: the Guinness Book of Records.  It was listed as the fastest accelerating road car. Like the Blower Bentley before it and the 911 Turbo after it, it's an example of "If enough is good, then too much must be better, right?"

5.  Bugatti Type 41 "Royale" - The five "production" Royales had 12.7 litre locomotive engines, down from the more than 14 litres of the engine in the "prototype".  Its hood ornament was an elephant; a sadly prophetic symbol of the white elephant the Type 41 would become.  Its huge size, lavish specification, and puny production numbers made the Mercedes-Benz 770 (Grosser Mercedes) look like an economy car.  

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice