1 |  2 |  Next 
Item Posts   

BMW 335i Convertible-Buyer Beware

| 
RLEWINTER RLEWINTER
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/09/07
05:28 PM

I purchased a wonderful BMW 335i Convertible 3 weeks ago.  The car on a scale of 12 is a 10 and the dealer, Crevier BMW, is terrific. With only 380 miles on the car the top failed and crushed the middle section. BMW refuses to replace the car and insists on repairing it, including replacing the center section which needs to be painted to match the car. If you would like details you can call me at 949.760.8500.  All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!  

bmwgolfguy bmwgolfguy
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 05/28/07
07:58 PM

I am afraid you are stuck with the warranty.  If it is a leased vehicle, you may have some recourse against the lessor (BMWNA?)  But that will be a matter of what your lease says and it probably says see the warranty which is BMW the manufacturer of the car.

Your other possible recourse might be an auto lemon law if your state has one.  But those laws usually require the car be in the shop for a certain minimum of days per month for so long before you have any recourse.

You need to check with a lemon law lawyer in your state.  Don't bother with the YP.  Ask friends or others for a good attorney.  Most lawyers will give you a free half hour of their time for a consult.

To compound the problem, even if you find an attorney who tells you honestly that you have a case, they will likely want a substantial ($5K) retainer just to start the case.

Good luck. Smirk  

pincud pincud
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/02/07
07:44 PM

Also, try contacting the General Manager of the dealer one on one and let him know of the issue. If that does not work, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau naming the dealer and the general manager.  Also, file a complaint with BMW USA on this matter. The car has to break down a number of times before they will buy it back.  If your high pressure fuel pump fails, and it will in a matter of months, you may have extra ammunition to go after them.  My BMW 335I has been in the shop 25 times in one year and 35 days. It was so much that BMW had agreed to buy it back from me.  I took the money and purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I'm done with BMW, their poor quality car, and their inability to fix it right.  

geoalb geoalb
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/03/07
05:10 PM

I really don't understand why people want the BMW so much. After reading about the problems with BMWs I bought an Infiniti G 35. No complaints just pure fun...not a single problem. Drives as well as the BMW...maybe the BMW is very very very slightly better at high speeds....but when are you going to go that fast  

bimmer98 bimmer98
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 11/07/07
09:41 AM

thanks for the heads up, hope it all works out  

dalec dalec
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/20/07
12:02 PM

Agreed.  I had a 2007 BMW328i.  After the transmission failed and a flat tire (which cost $200.00 to replace) no patching on RFT's, I traded for a Infiniti G35.  What a wonderful car for the money.  

petechar petechar
Posted: 12/20/07
10:53 PM

I have a 2001 BMW 325XIT with over 50,000 miles.  It is the best and most reliable of the 10 cars and trucks that I have owned.  I don't think I have spent over $300 on repairs in over 6 years.  Our BMW dealer in Idaho Falls has been great to work with. Perhaps I've just been lucky.  

smokymtnscott smokymtnscott
Posted: 12/21/07
10:04 AM

Could the new X6 be any damn uglier? And I really question the practicality.  I think they wanted Americans to have something car like with that gorgeous inline 6  at a cheaper price than the 5 sedan but didnt want to make something that would actually ravage 5 sales.  Did I say it? UGLY with a capital ewwwww.  And for practicality, a gas guzzling suv looks far more practical even the limited space buggers that bmw offers.  Doesnt the x6 look more like something from the early 1970s AMC designers?  Think about it, looks just like a 21st century bmw version of that AMC eagle 4x4 sedan.  No kid would be caught dead with 1 when I was a teenager and no self respecting adult would buy the x6 now.  Looks like a car designed by retired AMC engineneers after conducting a focus group.  

meyow meyow
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 01/29/08
08:12 PM

BMW seems to make early adopters pay for buying their new models (at their own risk). I got an 05 M3 conv. with SMG in May 05, I've uprated the tires to 275 R. 245 F. because with the S3R supercharger packege the dealer installed at 8K miles. The car has 22K miles, with a new set of rear tires since the upgrade, I will probably need a new cluch soon because it's getting more difficult to chirp the tires in 3rd, an occasional cluch chatter reminds to look for a beefier unit to replace the stock one. The car has been more relaible than my wifes 04 Siena that needed a new steering rack, radiator, inner&ouer control arms, all in the first six months of use. The Siena also eats brakes and tires rather quickly. We are on the 3rd radiator and just replaced the control arms again (out of warrenty this time). We bought the 04 Siena in Oct. of 03 just as they came out, buying early in the cycle of whatever model or brand can be risky sometimes.  

JungyWungy JungyWungy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 02/21/08
03:42 PM

How aweful, I got my 335 from Crevier as well back in July of 07, no issues at all so far.  Bimmers seem to be a hit or miss, more lemons than not, but if you get the ultimate driving mahcine and it isnt a lemon, what a car to drive, its an absolute blast.  I will admit though that almost everyone i know who has had a bimmer from 3-8 series have had issues but honestly what car doesnt?  One gf of mine actually sued the dealership and after $10k in attorney fees the dealership settled and bought back her car, she promptly went and bought an E series, but she admits she misses her lil bimmer.  
Her situation was similliar to the other poster who basically used the lemon law, same repair again again without getting it fixed, it was in the shop more often than she was able to drive the car.

Goodluck to you in a happy resolution.  

Lemonaid_nt Lemonaid_nt
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/01/09
10:28 AM

I work for a law firm that helps consumers with their lemon cars. www.normantaylor.com. We deal with BMW on a daily basis.

The best thing to do is to contact an attorney. A lot of times unscrupulous dealers and manufacturers will try to bully the consumer into thinking their vehicle is not a lemon, or that the defects are not covered under the warranty or that the vehicle was misused or abused or "tampered" with to prevent the consumer from pursuing their case.

So if you have given them a reasonable opportunity to repair the vehicle, and the defect is a substantial impairment of use value or safety then call an attorney. Not every firm charges a 5K retainer. Every firm operates differently and has a different level of experience and style of handling these types of cases. So find an attorney in your state that is best fit for your needs.

Every case is different so don't compare one case to another because no two cases are EXACTLY alike.  

calvin500 calvin500
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 08/08/09
09:20 PM

I recently had to trade in my beloved z3 coupe for a z4 coupe.  the rear suspension was pulling away from the car and the control arm broke off.  good thing I didn't get into an accident from that.  You know, even if you have a BMW, its a mechanical toy where anything could go wrong because it has so many moving parts. nothing lasts forever no matter how lovingly it was made.  

JeffNNJ JeffNNJ
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/02/09
11:25 AM

I work for a law firm that helps consumers with their lemon cars. www.normantaylor.com. We deal with BMW on a daily basis.

The best thing to do is to contact an attorney. A lot of times unscrupulous dealers and manufacturers will try to bully the consumer into thinking their vehicle is not a lemon, or that the defects are not covered under the warranty or that the vehicle was misused or abused or "tampered" with to prevent the consumer from pursuing their case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have never read a bigger bunch of crap in my entire life. I am a BMW dealer. If someone has a car that is a lemon, BMW will almost offer to buy the car back. It's a win/win situation for the dealer because we get the car back to repair and resell at a huge discount, the customer gets a brand new car free of defect and we make a sale.

Not only have I never witnessed a BMW customer be bullied, I have never even heard about it. BMW's #1 priority is total customer satisfaction. Since the vast majority of our customers remain with us for multiple vehicle purchases, not to do so would be ridiculous.

You, my friend are the personification of everything that wrong with the legal system in this country. Sue first, ask questions later. You and your firm are jokes. Try sticking to what you do best, chasing ambulances and raping doctors.  

Ten Car Garage Ten Car Garage
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/10/10
12:48 PM

Good point about the AMC resemblance.  

Part of the problem is that BMW style has not yet recovered from the damage done by that pretentious turd, Chris Bangle.  The rest of the problem is that the X6 is just a stupid idea from a company that lost its mind one or two product cycles ago.
Making everything worse are the idiots who will buy anything.  

ngomane ngomane
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/10
Posted: 04/30/10
09:49 AM

WOW! thank you for your post. I have the same car (335i) but luckily I haven't had the misfortune that you have had. One thing that i noticed is that i have taken my car for repairs more than 25 times. There is also a noise that it makes lately when coming out of my driveway or any inclining angle. it sounds as tho something is braking. very uncomfortable sound. I'm from south Africa and drive long distances from one province to another. that takes me about 500km done in 3hours or less or more is you r a slow driver. the problem i experienced with this was an EML light (engine malfunction/failure light) which slows down the car considerably and gives off a bad smell and also shakes the car as if there's a power failor or something.

Its such a beautiful drive tho...when/If no problems arise. Its a real looker too. But Im thinking of trading it in for something else. But thank you for the warning!!!  

1 |  2 |  Next 
Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice