Item Posts   

Lexus IS 250 v. BMW 328i

| 
dmloring dmloring
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/01/07
09:35 AM

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions:

I'm in the market for a new car.  Originally started off looking at the Acura TSX, Volvo S40, BMW 328i sedan and the Lexus IS 250.  Have since narrowed it down to the BMW and Lexus.

I understand the basic differences between the cars, having driven BMWs for many years.  Generally speaking the BMW's driving/handling is superior, while the Lexus excels at luxury.  I have not test driven either car yet.

Two models I am looking at:

(1) BMW 328i (sedan) - no sport package.

(2) Lexus IS 250 -- RWD

Both cars automatic, as I never learned to drive manual.  Additionally, the Lexus is about $2500 less expensive -- although that is not a huge issue.

Thoughts?  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
09:56 AM

Unless you don't care about enjoying your drive, go with the BMW. The Lexus is a fine car, but it suffers from the same bouncy ball suspension as other lexuses, and the cabin feels a bit like a coffin. The BMW is more enjoyable in every way, and I think it is well worth the small premium.  

dmloring dmloring
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/07
02:38 PM

What do you mean by "bouncy ball" suspension?  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 03/03/07
09:15 PM

In this comparison,I'd guess that I would take the BMW.

I like to drive my cars and the Beemer is a drivers car.

The Lexus is not as refined in that respect as the Beemer-not yet but it will be.

Hey,if you've drove Beemers for years,why are you even asking this question?

The only part where the Lexus will trump the Beemer is reliability.  

Do you know something about BMW's you'd like to share?  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 03/04/07
05:21 PM

Personally, I found the IS interior to be more inviting than that of the 3 Series.  But this is partly because I admire cars that seem to envelope around you (beware, however, rear visibility is at a premium in this car).  I also like the small dash of the IS and the general sporty character of this car from the inside.  In terms of performance, the IS 250 is a fine car for the everyday driver and I would assume that the average consumer does not require the special degree of athleticism that the 3 Series contains.  But in judging these two cars, I think that what it comes down to for the average consumer is fundamentally two things: brand cache, and design.  BMW obviously wins the former but the latter skews in the 3 Series’ favor by the narrowest of margins, in my view.  Couple all of this with the impeccable reliability that, generally, all Toyota made products contain and I would actually argue that the pragmatic choice between these two cars is for the IS over the 3 Series.

In my view, however, both of the latter cars do not attract my attention.  No, my pick in this category would be for the Audi A4 2.0 Turbo Quattro with Tiptronic (and especially for the A4 Avant, if you fancy beautiful wagons).  The sounds from this car’s engine are sublime and the acceleration figures are also fine.  In addition, the exterior design of the A4 sedan (and especially the gorgeous Avant) honestly cannot be compared to the naïve Lexus or to the fussy BMW.  The Audi interior, as well, is often considered to be among the most functional and pleasing to the eye.  

deweyb1 deweyb1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/03/13
10:56 AM

A Beemer is a BMW motorcycle  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice