Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Mazda 2 coming to fight Honda Fit?

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 02/12/07
12:56 PM

The rumor mill is spinning again--sources say a next-generation Mazda 2 sub-compact will arrive in America in 2008 to fight the Honda Fit. You think it's true?  

zoomzoomzoom zoomzoomzoom
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/12/07
03:08 PM

Not sure, will be very interesting if it is though  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 02/13/07
09:04 AM

I'm positive, about 92% sure, that it will.  For what has Mazda got to lose?  I would assume that Mazda clearly sells more of its small cars than its $21,000+ vehicles, so expanding its small car line is only logical.  Moreover the market for fuel-efficient economy cars is still a hit here in the United States.  And, more concretely, the small-car fad is currently also a success story thus far for the Fit, for the Scion xB, for Hyundai in general, and to a lesser extent for the Yaris.  And Mazda wouldn't require establishing credibility or differentiation because a lot of consumers have already heard about the "Zoom Zoom" Mazda slogan.

But I would never buy this ugly little car.  The entire vehicle is kind of odd (what with the way the beltine rises inexplicably from the front to the well...boosted rear).  And in the price range it is in, I would suspect that the last thing a consumer wants is to look odd, but not in a flattering way, especially in an economy car.  The conventional Fit wins, and most probably will win, financially, in the end.  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/16/07
08:57 PM

The Fit is a car that Honda has made in Japan for nearly six(?) years.

My wife and I almost bought a blue one with the 'sport' package but we simply don't need another car-we have five now.

That Fit is a great looking design and the price has'nt skyrocketed yet.

If you want a nice four door sport compact-the Fit is a great choice.

And if you read any car magazines-you'll know that it has one of the best handling suspensions in lane changing tests you can buy for ANY price.  

Nick MYW Nick MYW
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 03/07
Posted: 03/23/07
10:48 AM

I think there  will not  be  anything  new. Just  some new  variations bacause this  market is  pretty occupied  

kohenry kohenry
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/09/08
08:35 AM

i'm in hong kong and i drive a honda fit japanese version. i bought this car last year when all-new mazda 2 just launched. i test drove the m2, it was pretty good, i feel that the mazda 1.5 engine is actually faster than the fit. however, the m2 is too small, way too small! u can hardly fit a golf bag in the trunk, and i'm not talking about those big big taylormade bag, just a regular back carrying golf bag... and the interior room is way smaller than honda fit. m2 is not for n.america market.  

JeanJennings JeanJennings
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 04/09/08
01:36 PM

The head of Mazda North America, the head of Mazda marketing, and the VP of communications could NOT BE MORE CLEAR on the subject if they shouted it in our faces. The Mazda 2 IS NOT COMING to America.

This doesn't mean we don't want our design editor Robert Cumberford to spend some months  driving a Mazda 2 in France and let us know all about it. Because we do.

But that comment about a golf bag not fitting is interesting. The head of Mazda does like his golf!
--Jean  

lewjac3 lewjac3
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/11/08
04:11 PM

Hi, you mentioned  you don't like the look of the mazda 2, do you have any pictures?  

Shari Yee Shari Yee
Administrator | Posts: 15 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 04/11/08
04:32 PM

Icon Quotelewjac3:
Hi, you mentioned  you don't like the look of the mazda 2, do you have any pictures?

hope this helps...  Laugh

Mazda 2 Images  

bigtime bigtime
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/19/08
05:20 PM

After looking at those pics I want a fit more and more. I wanted to like the 2, I did. But I am not sure. Is it melting? Something isn't right and that ripoff of a nissan rear hatch is just annoying!  

f430shift f430shift
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/19/08
10:13 PM

probably. the miata is a sports car, the open-roader type of machine. if the mazda 2 is imported, it might offer some competition to the fit. but the fit will win.  honda already snagged alot of the market, nissan took a bit more, and toyota's yaris is there too.  

bigtime bigtime
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/21/08
01:55 PM

The yaris would be a fine choice if not for the aweful center mounted speedo. Change that and it would get a serious look from me. But its hard to beat honda when it comes to small cars. There masters at packaging, design, ergonomics. It really is frightening how good they are. Too bad GM couldn't combine forces. Unstoppable baby! : )  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Honda Fit
16450 - 20925
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Hatchback