Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2007 Escalade Review

| 
franmike franmike
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/24/06
03:50 AM

In general the review was favorable, but the comment regarding the pitch and yaw of the ride concerns me.  Any comments regarding this?  Other reviews have not made any unfavorable "ride" commentss.

Thanks for your comments.  

SSmith SSmith
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/29/06
11:38 PM

Most of the Escalade's ride problems (as tested) can be attributed to those heinously large 22" factory-option wheels. Essentially, they're heavy enough that the inertia they create usually isn't able to be dampened out by the shocks. It mostly shows up over rapid-fire pavement changes, and is probably a result of the shocks having been tuned for the lighter, smaller standard wheels (and their taller, softer tire sidewalls). The effect occurs both front and rear, and it's a classic example of how wheel choice can directly affect the end performance of a car or truck.

The fore-aft pitching tends to rear its head the most over high-frequency pavement irregularities - rapid-fire rumble strips, expansion joints, or just overly close-together regular potholes - and is most noticeable on the highway at cruising speeds. It's not horribly irritating, but still a little ridiculous given A) the fact that we're talking about a Cadillac, and B) the Escalade's absurd emphasis on price and comfort in almost every other area.

Yaw/straight-line instability isn't so much a byproduct of the heavy wheels/overpowered shocks, but it can rear its head in a corner when the truck has some lateral load cranked in/has already taken a set in a corner. Since the wheels aren't as well-damped as they could be, quick transitions and pavement faults tend to upset the Escalade's attitude, and force you to change steering angles and throttle inputs mid-corner to keep the truck on line.

The most annoying part of it all is that the '07 Tahoe - a truck costing thousands less - rides better, is more comfortable, and feels more composed over the same type of pavement. The 22s are the chief reason here, but even on the stock wheels and tires, the Cadillac doesn't ride as comfortably. The Escalade has the edge in terms of turn-in crispness and initial grip, but the Tahoe is simply better tuned for everyday use.

Of course, you can't get the Escalade's engine in a Tahoe. And that engine is almost the best part.

Hope this helps!

-Sam Smith  

frankrizzo-#002 frankrizzo-#002
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 05/05
Posted: 06/15/06
01:41 PM

i purchased the 07 tahoe and I think its a better product for a lot less money. i am biased obviously. I dont think the differences between the "chevy tahoe" and "cadillac escalade" are worth the difference in price. I put tahoe and escalade quotes b/c they arent that much different.  

shrinkettee shrinkettee
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/31/06
08:14 AM

Icon Quotefrankrizzo:
i purchased the 07 tahoe and I think its a better product for a lot less money. i am biased obviously. I dont think the differences between the "chevy tahoe" and "cadillac escalade" are worth the difference in price. I put tahoe and escalade quotes b/c they arent that much different.

I agree..I wouldn't choose an escalade..The electrical system on my friend's (2006)escalade has already broken once..
it looks great ..but it is all bells and whistles and no substance..  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 09/08/06
12:27 AM

Although it isn't a whole lot cheaper than the Escalade, I think the GMC Yukon Denali is a perfect middle ground, especially in the beautiful shade of red offered. It still looks plenty classy on the optional 20" wheels, but rides a little better than the Caddy. And best of all, it still has that awesome engine (albeit with *only* 380 hp).  

redscare redscare
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/08/06
01:23 AM

The old Denali line was the biggest scam ever. You got the same crappy generic GM SUV interior, just with slightly better leather and more electronics, and the same poorly fitting body panels that you got on any other GM SUV.

The new-generation Denali, on the other hand, its a pretty good car  
Ce n'est pas une voiture

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice