Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2006 Honda Ridgeline - Long Term Review

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/25/06
04:38 AM

We've found the Ridgeline to be an example of Honda engineering in its best form. It takes a very basic concept, the pick-up truck, and reengineers it into something completely new and, in our eyes, undeniably better. The departure from the from the traditional rear bed results in a marked increase in flexibility and usability. We've found the powertrain to be periodically strained when hauling loads at speed, but in general we've found this to be a great product.

What do you think, especially the owners out there, has Honda succeeded in re-inventing the pick-up truck, or is it just more of the same? American pick-ups have some of the most loyal customers in the industry, is the Ridgeline enough of a product to convince an F-150 or Ram owner to make the international shift?

Have a look at our ongoing logbook coverage here:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/four_seasons_logbook/0604_2006_honda_ridgeline/  

meyera meyera
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 08/06/06
12:28 PM

I've owned compact and full size pickups including  GMC, Chevrolet, and most recently a Dodge Ram Quadcab and Dodge Dakota Quadcab 4x4.  I always wished I could find a truck that was as reliable as my wife's CRV.  The Ridgeline I purchased last year is so superior in terms of quality and reliability that I will never go back.

I've hauled 3000lbs of rock on a utility trailer, and I agree that the drivetrain will work a little harder than my other trucks did with a V8.  The improved mileage the other 95% of the time makes it a fair trade.

Would most people consider it as a "hardcore" work truck? Probably never.  But, there are 20 homes in my rural sub-division, and there are Ridgelines in 5 of those 20 driveways.  

malbeau malbeau
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/06
Posted: 09/21/06
05:49 AM

Honda has me split -- I like their engineering overall.  The powertrains are efficient and reliable.  Fit and finish are far above average.  The Ridgeline is a superior truck in the market segment for which it was designed.  But the Ridgeline is another perfect example of hideous styling, and that will limit its sales.

Honda: why does the Acura division receive relatively interesting and dynamic sheetmetal, while every Honda (with the one exception of the new Civic si coupe) is a boring, square, plastic-laden, uninspired box???  Even though the Ridgeline is a fantastic truck, its pathetic styling turns off most buyers before they even test drive it.  

Bennydow@mchsi.com Bennydow@mchsi.com
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/09/06
07:36 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, The spare tire is in the super-duper locking trunk under the bed correct? OK , you take your Honda truck? to the hardware store and buy 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood and on the way home you have a flat. How do you get to the spare?  

Randy-#003 Randy-#003
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 01/09/07
02:11 PM

All you do is call roadside assistance [have thumb will travel]!  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/15/07
06:54 PM

No.

The Ridgeline is not even a pickup truck.

It's an SUV with a bed on it.

Try a Chevy Avalanche just better built.

I don't like it's styling or it's lack of functionality as a 'pickup truck'.

All the gimmicks in the world don't change the fact that this is NOT a pickup truck.

Honda put a blemish on it's reputation saying this was a pickup truck.

IT AIN'T.  

I_Hate_Japanese_Cars I_Hate_Japanese_Cars
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/09/07
08:15 PM

They forgot to mention that 5000 lbs. towing is terrible for a full-size pickup, it should have at least 9000 lbs. towing, and that it should also at least have a V8.

Pathetic.  
I_Hate_Japanese_Cars

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." - Steven Wright

KeithT KeithT
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/07
Posted: 04/14/07
02:36 PM

I purchased a Honda Ridgeline 2007 this year for business.  I am hoping the truck will produce the posted 31 mpg.  The break in period it is presently producing 21 mpg.  The overall style is fair, but it doesn't compare to my F250 Ford Diesel.  It saves on the gas and that's it!  

girlracer girlracer
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/07
Posted: 10/09/07
11:32 PM

"We've found the Ridgeline to be an example of Honda engineering in its best form."

agree with this. my boyfriend been driving several models of Honda and he also said this one is the best one he drove.

mikenkats mikenkats
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/15/07
02:22 PM

I have owned the compact Ford Ranger 4x4, I have had the full size Chevy Silverado, and the Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.
Since then I have purchased the 2006 Honda Ridgeline and I guarantee you I will no go back. This truck is awesome you have all the features you need from a truck plus the ride of a car. Some may complain about the small truck bed, but that lost space is more than made up with the in bed trunk for storage, plus the fold up rear seats for storage.
I say if you need more hauling capacity and storage than you get with this truck pull a trailer. Sure this truck won't haul what my full size dodge would haul with it's V8, but let me tell ya this is one potent V6 and it will haul all that an average user and most contractors will haul and then some.We have a local contractor in our town that the Ridgeline is there new company vehicle they have 5 of these bad boys.
I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone, you won't be sorry you made the switch!!!  

bimmer98 bimmer98
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/16/07
10:54 AM

Ridgelines are designed very elegantly.  It makes it hard to believe that it has any towing capacity but surprisingly it does. I'm still on the fence about them to do any heavy duty lifting.  

Arch Arch
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/07
06:49 PM

Hey everyone did you know that my 2003 Saturn Vue suv
has the same motor as the Honda Ridgeline.
With 250 hp. I have fun smokin some "other suvs"
Honda and GM ? Do any other Honda engines find thier way into GM vehicles? If anyone knows please let me know. I know my Pontiac Vibe -Toyota Matrix - and my
Chevy Prizm -Toyota Carolla- all share the same Toyota engines. I have had no problems with any of these engines an the Prizm has 190,000+ K.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2014 Honda Ridgeline
29575 - 37505
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Truck