Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2005 Audi A6 3.2 - Long Term Review

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/25/06
04:24 AM

In one of our comparison tests, the A6 came out on top, above both a Mercedes-Benz E-Class and a BMW 5-Series. That promises good things for this German sedan, but the real test is how it holds up in the long term. So far, we've found the power-train to be an absolute delight but a few technical hiccups have made us worry.

What has your experience been with this car? Owners especially, how does our time with the vehicle compare to yours?

Check out our ongoing logbook here:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/four_seasons_logbook/0604_2005_audi_a6/  

sfcharlie sfcharlie
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 07/13/06
03:07 AM

If I had purchased this car after having read your comparison review of sport-luxury sedans, I would now be annoyed and confused by comments made in your long term report (August).

Back then you wrote: We are surprised that our three days of driving have brought us to see the Audi A6 4.2 Quattro as the right car to drive. We've grown accustomed to thinking of any Audi as a nearly-there kind of car, but the A6 delivers such extraordinary satisfaction in every aspect of driving that we find it irresistible. Gillies says, "It is both beautiful and bang up-to-date, proving that being at the cutting edge doesn't mean missing the mark. It feels bored at 80 mph and doesn't break a sweat at 100 mph." Johnson notes, "It isn't a superstar in any single category, but it possesses such a high level of excellence in all areas that it deserves the gold medal." Sherman says simply, "I would happily live with it."?The Audi A6 delivers a premium experience, and it marks you as a driver who appreciates both great design and great driving. Of course, such artistic excellence needs to be matched by practical excellence in such things as quality, durability, and even residual value, and that's the aspect of the Audi equation that remains unproven. For now, though, the A6 is unquestionably a great car, and we think it provides a solid foundation on which to build a great car company. As our experience in Palm Springs reminds us, there's no reason to settle for less than the best."

Now you conclude: "Until the A6 becomes a true driver's car, it is destined to remain a nice car for people who want to buy into the sport sedan club without actually knowing what a sport sedan can be." Apparently, that includes the editors who tested the car for three days and wrote the earlier review. Reviews, such as the earlier comparative one, lead, I would think, readers to *** that professional automotive journalists, given three days, can at least tell reliably whether they like how a car drives. Apparently not.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice