Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

The hybrid Lexus GS450H make me queasy

| 
MeanJean MeanJean
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/09/06
01:32 AM

despite the fact that I hope I'm in *** living by the time the entire automotive universe goes hybrid, I drove the prototype GS450H that Lexus delivered to us on my 100-mile commute  last night. The exterior is different enough for me to be interested in it, and the interior is quite fine, in a luxurious sort of way.

Big news is: the car is a freaking rocket. It just flies when you touch the accelerator.

The bad news is: steady state driving quality is kind of like being driven by someone who can't a steady speed. It surges forward slightly, drops back, surges, drops...The Honda Accord hybrid had that same feel and it's totally annoying.  

joela joela
User | Posts: 89 | Joined: 03/06
Posted: 05/11/06
05:52 AM

As an owner of an Accord hybrid I should disagree but I know what MeanJean means. The braking system is even worse: it's much more difficult to modulate than a regular vehicle.  

sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/11/06
11:47 PM

I've noticed the same thing in Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars. I can't really decide it is in the hybrid system itself or in the continuously variable transmission. When you don't have an actual gear to hold at one rpm, it seems like its harder for the transmission to stay smooth during, say, highway driving.  

doglet doglet
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/16/06
03:20 AM

thats unfortunate. hybrids make sense when they operate exactally as an gas engine with the only perceived difference being the improved gas milage.

people often ask the question "why shouldnt you be willing to pay more for a hybrid, your willing to pay more for a v8?" the difference is that if i pay for a v8, or any performance option, i dont just want the extra power. i want everything about the v8 from the sound to the different driving experience. when i but a hybrid i want to not notice that its a hybrid.

i will never own a hybrid until it delivers a similar driving experience as a normal engine but costs me less in the long run. the day that the technology can deliver that i will go and buy one.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice