Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Chevrolet Camaro or Dodge Challenger?

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/08/06
09:46 AM

The Dodge Challenger and the Chevrolet Camaro concepts are still a hot topic a whole five months since the Detroit auto show. Which concept do you dream of at night? Will the two brands both build these hot muscle cars to fight Ford's retro-styled Mustang?  

Camaro67racer Camaro67racer
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/13/06
09:13 AM

The Camaro is the car I WILL own when it hits the showroom. It is a gorgeous design that gets my blood racing everytime I look at it! I think Mark Gillies put it best in the videos of the Detroit Auto show when he said "Hey I should have been a car designer if it was this easy, just take a car from the past and put big wheels on it and make it modern" referring to the Challenger. Of the 3 pony cars the Challenger is the furthest away from hitting the mark, yet I?m sure it will sell to those who lack appreciation for good auto design. I know people get excited about a car that reminds them of their glory days but if that?s the case then they should go restore an old one! Automakers are supposed to move design forward, GM and Ford both did that by taking cues from the old cars and producing new styles from them, not literally taking the same car from the past and adding big wheels and carbon fiber. Shame on Chrysler for producing such a lackluster car, I'll look forward to parking my '09 Camaro next to my '67 and once again smoking Mustangs and Challengers at the stop lights. Now the big question... take the first Z28 or not sleep for a year waiting for the SS to drop?  

SeriousCaveMonkey SeriousCaveMonkey
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 05/16/06
05:37 AM

I find it unfortunate that Chrysler has followed the trend started by Ford (Mustang, GT) and followed by GM (Camaro) in merely rehashing old models for a new generation. Chrysler has always been the design leader, pushing new ground, while others have followed suit. They brought in the cab-forward design in the early 90s (Intrepid) and then brought back long-hood, rear-drive style in the new millenium (300, obviously).

The key is that Chrysler is always coming up with something new, pusing radical designs (Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, even the early 90s redisign of the Ram). This is obviously their strong suit. Unfortunately, they followed the band-wagon rather than making new ground on their own. They rehashed an old design and obviously it didn't work (sorry Challenger, just too bland).

Chrysler, stick with what you're good at. Come up with inspiring, industry shifting new designs. Let Ford and GM rehash the old stuff.  

Brad-#002 Brad-#002
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/06
Posted: 10/24/06
03:04 AM

gotta have the challenger!  

doglet doglet
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/16/06
03:00 AM

i dont think that the two cars compete directly. the challenger is more comfortable modern musclecar, a stupid fast one at that.

the camaro is lower, smaller, lighter (i hope). the wheels are all the way out to the corners. it wants to be somewhere between a sportscar and a musclecar. who knows what the final product will be.

the next GTO should go head to head with the challenger. even if it is a year or two behind.  

calvin400 calvin400
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/04/06
02:24 AM

I think that if Ford or Chevy or Dodge builds a muscle car with a 300hp V6 weighing in at 2600lbs made of aluminum and other light materials, it will sell in big numbers.  Good power to weight ratio and good gas economy (over 25 mpg city)is necessary these days.  A 400hp V8 weighing over 3500lbs just won't sell in large numbers.  A lighter car with a High Output V6 will offer similar performance and efficency too. I dare these manufacturers to make such a car and see how well it sells.  

stanczyk stanczyk
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/23/08
12:23 PM

1)comapring Muscle,  2)death of V8?

ad1)and Very hard choice....I've read whot others says,

I think US producers schould stick with muscle car idea....so I think Challenger will be the closest to the definition of Muscle car; with that mirror flash of the old challenger design , and new interpretation of legendary HEMI,
I thing they did a great job tranforming it from concept( and here front I prefered in concept . in production model they followed old car design , so there are positives and negatives....
Camaro looks amasing - Concept,
I saw black camaro tested on Nurburgring (probably more likly similar to production model), and the front is awfully ugly ,because there's to much lights.. they should put pair of lights as wide as possible in grill area( that was very cool in Barracudas as vell as in old camros making them look wider....)
production mustang on the other hand look not as good as concept, but is impresive anyway
(however , do YOu remember production car which looks better than it's won concept..Charger for exapmleSmile) hahhaha,....

2)Northstar = death star , You remember this article...
when do You think we will have end of modern muscle era?..it just started....producers will probably do modern interpretations of old models as fast as possible.....will they try to create something new?...there will be enough time.before green-heads  idiots will protest existance of V8.?
what do YOu thnink

ernwopr@wp.pl  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
2015 Chevrolet Camaro
23705 - 72305
Button Getmyprice
Body Style:
Convertible, Coupe