Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

More BMW M3 News. . soft top?

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 01/30/07
01:13 PM

Although we've seen spy photos of an M3 with BMW's new retractable hard top, we've heard rumors that the car will be offered with a retractable soft top to save weight and lower the car's CG. But if you're not buying a real coupe, is there any point in trying to be taken seriously?  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/30/07
09:54 PM

I don’t really know what the politics are over at BMW but I welcome the news that the next M3 could be offered as a cloth top convertible, in addition to the M3 being offered exclusively as a coupe, but not simply the former and not the latter.  The hard top convertible/coupe fad is pretty close to being placed squarely within the mundane category.  I have never really adapted to the idea that a convertible should be a hard top cabrio/coupe (this has merely fattened cars up, in some instances, and has somehow taken away from the mystique of the convertible in my view) but the niche stuck and now I would assume that BMW is realizing that the M3 name is too important for it to adopt what everyone else is doing (in the form of a hard top cabrio/coupe).  However, introducing the M3 convertible as a soft top perhaps wouldn’t be as drastic and odd as one may think.  After all, Rolls-Royce has decided to stray from the rest of the design crowd and has itself installed a cloth top on its venerable Drophead Coupe.  

alwill alwill
User | Posts: 104 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 01/31/07
11:10 AM

Generally I am a big fan of retractable hard tops. I think they make the cars more attractive and also more practical for year-round use.

However, for a car that is all about bleeding edge performance, like the M3, I think the extra weight is a bad thing. The M3 should only be available in coupe form anyways. If you want to go cruising with the top down, save yourself some money and get a regular 3-series.  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/31/07
09:55 PM

Respectfully, I would have to disagree in part because of the fact that the M name is arguably at least a little bit about craziness.  Therefore, a convertible version of an M3 is almost innate because there is a market (and a prospective market including myself) that embraces that aspect of craziness that already characterizes a badge that sells a 500bhp V-10 at approximately 192 inches in total length as a cloth top convertible.  But, in all honesty, I’m kind of ambivalent in anticipation of the new M3 because I’m still stuck on the E46’s striking beauty.  If only the E46 could’ve somehow replaced the Acura…err current BMW 3 Series line.  Nonetheless, for me a convertible will always be within the cloth format and I simply cannot imagine it to be any other way.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice