Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Oh, embargos. . . 2008 Chevrolet Malibu breaks cover

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 12/29/06
10:06 AM

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_detroit/0612_2008_chevrolet_malibu/

Official pictures of the next Malibu have been released. Read our story, look at the pictures, and tell us if you think it's a Camry beater.  

Austin Cooper Austin Cooper
User | Posts: 167 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/29/06
04:35 PM

I wonder if this Chevy is really going to change anybody's mind right now?  I'm thinking about those who might have their eyes on a Camry or Accord now? The MPG is no big deal, Honda already squeezes 34 MPG out of their 4 banger, while Toyota trumps them both with a hybrid. They too squeeze 34 MPG out of their 4 banger.

The styling isn't going to scare anybody but there's no lust factor in it either.  GM should have ripped off some styling cues from the MB CLS just to set itself apart from the Honda and Toyota and make some real waves.  Perhaps consumers will be able to get good deals on the new Chevy while it sits in the showroom as consumers pass by it on their way to purchase Hondas and Toyotas  Grin  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 12/30/06
10:56 PM

Yeah I agree.  Personally, I think one of the major problems at GM stems from negative public perception.  Here's the point:  Why on Earth would you take a perceived risk on an unestablished marque like the Chevrolet Malibu when you could purchase a proven, respected, and publicly known rock-solid Camry/Accord?  In economics, part of the reason that Toyota and Honda have so much clout in the market is because of their hold of the costly-to-fake principle:  The ability of Toyota and Honda to successfully convey a selling point to the consumer.  Obviously, perhaps, the main selling points for both car companies include quality, durability, and exceptional craftsmanship.

Since the majority of consumers who purchase an Accord, a Camry, or a Malibu, arguably, belong to hard-working families, no one should expect these consumers to risk their hard-earned dollars on an unproven, and expensive, product.  So pending any additional rebates, the Malibu will not succeed in challenging the Accord, the Camry, or the Sonata unless it looks less like a rental car and more like a car looking to satisfy the consumer's every wish (one of which would probably be to not look like you’re driving a rental car).  In addition, it wouldn’t hurt the new Malibu if it could win some perception-changing awards like, for instance, a Car of the Year award.  And if you are currently subconsciously replying “yeah right” to this last sentence, then you have already proven my point:  Perception is hurting GM in the sales department more than anything else.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice