Item Posts   

2007 Mercedes-Benz CL600 Review

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 12/18/06
09:55 AM

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0612_2007_mercedes_benz_cl600/

Senior editor Joe Lorio just drove the new Mercedes-Benz CL. Is it as gorgeous as the CLs of the past or is the styling just too strange?  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 12/18/06
03:26 PM

Wow, this is a loaded question.  I honestly don't know how to reply straightforwardly.  At first glance, you know a CL when you see it: It's that gargantuan, B-pillarless, shiny, two-door wearing the huge Mercedes-Benz sign on the grille.  But is the latter description a plus or a minus?  

The front end is nice.  That's it, it's nice.  No complications, no nothing.  Just straightforward, simple, nice (almost like the new LS 460).  But, in my view, nice doesn't cut it for a two-door you could trade-in for a condominium.  I think, since the CL is arguably the flagship coupe in the mainstream auto market, it should bring forth some sort of a revolutionary design scheme.  And I'm altogether tired of seeing the BMW Bangle eyes on new cars.  

Perhaps the easiest judgment I could give on the new CL is its rear: it's not very pretty.  The rear light clusters look like they were stolen from off of a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire, how do you like that!?, and the rear windshield is designed in an awkward manner.

In all other respects, the CL shines like nothing else I'm sure.  But the car is otherwise so useless that you'd have to wonder, "if I'm buying this car to get the ladies, maybe I should steer clear of spending the big bucks on something even remotely mimmicking a Sunfire."

Given my uncertainty, I'd hurry to a Mercedes-Benz store to purchase the W215 CL over this question mark.  At least in the W215 I know, for certain, that I have a car that possesses one of the finest boots ever designed by an automaker.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice