Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

Geneva Auto Salon: 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-class

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 01/18/07
02:34 PM

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_geneva/0703_2008_mercedes_benz_c_class/

Have you seen the new C-class? It looks like a mini S-class, just as it should. I think it will be a HUGE improvement over the old one.  

alwill alwill
User | Posts: 104 | Joined: 05/06
02:46 PM

I DO like the front end a lot, because of the S-class similarity. But is it hotter than an M3, an IS, or even that Honda Accord Concept from Detroit? I think not.  

Intern Dave Intern Dave
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/06
03:32 PM

ummmm, i'm undecided on how i like the design as a whole. i will say that i like the two-bar grille better than the 3 (or 4) bar grille.  it simplifies the front, giving it a sportier look. maybe it's a part of the sport package. i also feel the same way about the Mazda 3. The sedan has a different grille than the hatchback, and in my opinion it looks cleaner and more sporty.  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 01/24/07
04:38 PM

This car sure is an enigma…which in my book is not a good start.  If I had to choose, I would immediately gravitate towards the Sport variant, as its stance and its new front end (coupled with that gargantuan Mercedes-Benz logo on the grille) fits better in my view.  But this approach by Mercedes has effectively ruined the stately look of passed C-Class models.  This showing by the new C-Class conveys an antagonistic persona that is kind of…lame, especially when one considers that this is Mercedes-Benz and so its cars should simply reflect an aura of high stature (like the current C-Class successfully does in my view).  

The rear of this car only highlights my disappointment.  It just looks so bland and what it does is it conforms.  In fact, I feel as though the entire car and its design simply conform to what is currently offered by every other make, something I would suspect Mercedes-Benz would actively try to avoid.  The headlights are banal in design (I think Dodge has a similar design scheme with perhaps the Caliber), the Bangle tail is incredibly overused, the tail lamps are awkwardly shaped and the car as a whole says nothing to me in terms of desirability.

Moreover, and to finally confirm my disappointment, one need only look inside of the new C-Class to realize that things have indeed changed.  Gone is the nice central stack of controls and what emerges is an interior that A) looks, dare I say, rather cheap (especially around the glove box area) and B) looks as if cues from the 2004-2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor were utilized (which I don’t really approve of).  Nothing special is this new C-Class.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Body Style:
Coupe, Sedan