Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

VW diesels to hit a big drought

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 12/28/06
09:40 AM

The last of the 2006 VW Jetta diesels have hit American dealers, and we won't see any new models until spring of 2008, due to changes in emissions regulations and clean diesel fuel. This, right after the announcement of Bluetec as a common name for diesel engines and as Americans are just beginning to start respecting the oil burners. How much is this going to hurt VW?  

Intern Dave Intern Dave
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/06
11:33 AM

It's going to hurt them quite a bit. I read somewhere that diesel Jettas account for as much as 25% of Jettas sold. That's quite a chunk.  

JasonCammisa JasonCammisa
Administrator | Posts: 141 | Joined: 07/06
08:04 PM

25%?  Wow, maybe world-wide.  Last I heard, VW's overall Diesel sales in the US were in the single digit percentages.

But Dave's right... the people looking for Diesels aren't shopping around; there was only one place to go.

Now it's just to the Mercedes dealer.  Now if Mercedes only had a car to compete with the Jetta.  Oh wait, I just posted elsewhere that I don't think the B-Class will sell well here.  But hey, if MB can get B200 CDIs into dealerships pronto, they might capitalize on some of VW's lost sales.  

Intern Dave Intern Dave
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/29/06
08:22 AM

I was surprised by the percentage being so high, but according to autoblog, most dealers report that about a quarter of the Jettas they sell are diesels.  VW doesn't have any official numbers, however.  

hammatime hammatime
Enthusiast | Posts: 303 | Joined: 02/07
Posted: 02/04/07
08:48 PM

Diesel in the D.C. are right now is 40 cents a gallon HIGHER THAN PREMIUM GAS FUEL.

Why buy a diesel when the gas companies are saying right up front any mileage savings you get were taking right at the pump?  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice