Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2007 Audi A3 3.2 S-line with S-tronic DSG

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 11/07/06
09:14 AM

I know we're all going to start sound like a broken record soon, but VW's DSG is fantastic. I was driving an A3 with the transmission last night (Audi calls it S-tronic) and driving along at 35 mph or so, I was flipping the wheel-mounted paddles between second and sixth, and could not feel the quick shifts at all. There was a gentle little bob going from 3 down to 2, but it was hardly noticable. So smooth. And you get on the gas, and the shifts click off far quicker than any traditional automatic I've driven, and quicker than I'm able to with most manuals I've driven. This is definitely the transmission of the future.

Check out a full review of this car here.  

alwill alwill
User | Posts: 104 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 11/09/06
02:40 PM

Sounds like a big step up from the first-generation DSGs. I'm looking forward to checking this transmission out myself.  

JasonCammisa JasonCammisa
Administrator | Posts: 141 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/13/06
02:34 PM

1st generation DSGs?  Ain't no thing.  This is the one-and-only DSG out there.

Maybe you're thinking of other paddle-shifted automated-manuals, like BMW's SMG and Ferrari's F1?  Those are entirely different beasts.

The DSG is so marvelous because it has two clutches and two gearsets - it transitions smoothly (imperceptably, actually) between the two gearsets, so there's no interruption in power at all between shifts.

The same can't be said for SMG, which breaks your neck every time it shifts.  Caffiene-fueled 16-year olds on the way back from a Starbucks orgy don't shift as harshly in Daddy's stolen SMG M3 as that transmission does in normal traffic.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice