Volvo C30 hottest hatch around?

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 11/28/06
10:35 AM

0611 Pl Volvo C30

See the wallpaper gallery here.

We just looked over some press pictures of the Volvo C30 again, and realized it is one of the hottest little hatches around (especially in Orinocco blue). What do you think? Is it cooler than the Mini Cooper, VW GTI, and Audi A3? Which would you buy?  

Shift Ctrl Shift Ctrl
User | Posts: 51 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 11/30/06
08:57 AM

No its not cool  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its been a while, but I'm back....
every so often i leave for a good year then come back....

Intern Dave Intern Dave
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 12/01/06
09:27 AM

I think the closest comparison for the C30 is to the A3.  If I were in the market (I wish I was), I would honestly have to check them both out.  Audis are beautiful cars, but reliability and cost of ownership would factor in if it were my own money.  They're both hot--this is a harder question than I thought.  I guess another thing to consider is whether you would want 5 doors or 3.  That is probably a big deal to many people.  

calvin400 calvin400
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 12/06
Posted: 12/04/06
01:32 AM

I like the Volvo the most.  The best styling and most original look.  If they can only sell the turbo model for under 25,000 Cdn in Canada.
All cars are more pricey here. Its not fair. blah! Mad  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
Posted: 12/18/06
10:19 AM

It's all there...the subtle Volvo family front end, the front-leaning stance, and the accentuated rear shoulders to convey an image of sport.  But, then emerges something completely out of left field: the totally unnecessary, and hidious tail.

This has got to be one of the biggest disappointments of my car year.  Its bad enough for the C30 (cool name by the way) that the GTI is established.  But now, alas, the C30 also passes as lowly when its parked next to the purposeful and serious-in-all-directions GTI (in Black Magic).  Call me superficial, but the rear of the C30, accompanied by those two lame little pipes, makes me not want to seriously think about purchasing it.  

The A3 has a different problem: it's too big.  Those four doors make the car a family transport vehicle.  The A3 is also too high off the ground and the gap between the tail lamps and the rear bumper only emphasizes the grand size of this hatch. The headlights also look out of place by the way.  But those tail lamps, by themselves, are excellent in appearance.  In fact, Acura seems to think so as well as they took the design of them from the Q7 and put them on the overpriced family hauler SUVTIAAV (SUV That Is Actually A Van) MDX and on the inept alien machine that is the RDX.

The MINI is such a delight after everything else.  It's so unpresumptuous and performs like a true sports car, even without the works kit.  But, then, I am biased.  I am a fan of the Coopers...my favorite is the Mk III and I would consider going through the trouble of finding and buying an Mk III today.  But the superp handling of today's MINI doesn't take away from the fact that its looks are too subdued for my taste.

The GTI wins.  Inside it looks serious...and seriously good.  Outside it looks the same way.  It performs well.  It can be had with, frankly, one of the best stick shifts ever made.  It's reliable.  And it doesn't jump the $30,000 mark too often.  

JasonCammisa JasonCammisa
Administrator | Posts: 141 | Joined: 07/06
02:14 PM

Carletti, I agree with most of what you say, but remember that the A3 is a four-door GTI with a VR6. Smile

And Dave, since the A3 is based on the Mk5 platform (GTI, Rabbit, Jetta) and not on other Audi cars, the biggest maintenance headache (Audi's 50-million-link front suspension) isn't a factor here...

In my book, the C30 is the best-looking in this segment, but the GTI wins on paper.  I'll withhold final judgement until I drive the hot little Volvo.

And that rear end?  Carletti, is ya crazy?  That's hottest Swedish *** ever. Smile  

Carletti Carletti
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 06/06
02:46 PM

Jason, I understand where you're coming from but the GTI is cheaper than an A3, can be had with a sportier-looking two door, has a street reputation, and in my view just plain looks better.  Volkswagen Group is making bigger cars now in general (including the GTI/A3), to my dismay, but I would still argue that the GTI wins, overall, against the C30 and the A3.

As for the C30's rear, I guess its just a matter of taste really.  Affixing the XC90's tail lamps on the rather puny C30, by my judgment, doesn't work.  It also doesn't help that the rear window lurches through the bumper (if that's the bumper).  In essence, the C30 is definately an unconventional hatch and...well...I just can't take the car seriously to be quite honest.  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice