11:01 AM

As usual, it's the car, not the fuel, that matters:

Lotus goes ethanol with Exige 265E
http://blogs.automotive.com/1/lotus/index.html  

doglet doglet
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/14/06
07:06 PM

the future of high performance is lightweight. i wish someone would build a reasonably priced sportscar.  

JasonCammisa JasonCammisa
Administrator | Posts: 141 | Joined: 07/06
Posted: 11/15/06
01:26 PM

What's "reasonably priced" mean?  

I can name a few that I think are resonable... the MX-5, for one.  Even an S2000.  And, if I have to, I could even include the GTO.

... or a GTI.  Smile  

doglet doglet
New User | Posts: 35 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 11/17/06
04:00 AM

reasonably priced is under $20k. all i want is a sports car, i dont even want power windows if they add weight. if its fun enough i wont need a radio.

to be a sports car it has to be rear wheel drive.

i suppose my deffinition of a sports car is pretty specific.

i want someone to build an s2000 or mx5 that is a coupe from the ground up. convertibles are just not as good. they weigh more, cost more, body stiffness is comprimised, the top is something that is going to break and they almost never look as good.

if honda built an s2000 with its k20 instead of its more expensive b22, with a coupe body...
i would buy that if it was $20k.

i dont understand why a single car company hasnt put lotus out of business by offering 9/10 of an elise for $20k. gm could do it with off the shelf parts. the money saved by not including ac and sound deadining material (both of which are options on the elise) would be weight saved.

ive beed waiting for someone to build something like the dodge razor since i was in high school but for some reason noone has gotten around to it. i do have high hopes for the mazda kabura though, if any company will answer my prayers it will be mazda.  

GMCProudOwner GMCProudOwner
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/07
Posted: 05/29/07
06:38 PM

Fuel and car work together... About ethanol there is this interesting article, its Green Car Blog, there is this article about ethanol E85.  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/11/07
03:10 AM

Hey doglet, don't hold your breath waiting for a fantastic sub $20k sports car; true "sports" cars usually command a premium from manufacturers just for being sports cars.  Your best bet is probably a Miata or a Solstice, which I think are in the low $20k range out the door.

As for the "Green Lotus," the greenest Lotus actually isn't a true Lotus at all.  Have you guys seen the Tesla Roadster yet?  It's a fully electric vehicle based on the Lotus Elise, will supposedly do 0-60mph in about 4 seconds, have a top speed of around 130mph, and have a range of almost 250 miles!  Oh, and it only weighs 2600 lbs, so the handling should be quite good as well.  I don't know how the driving experience of an electric sports car will stack up to a traditional internal combustion powered car; the only electric vehicle I've ever driven was a golf cart, and it was a bit underpowered for my tastes.  I hope Automobile will do an in-depth story on this car soon.  

bimmer98 bimmer98
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/16/07
11:07 AM

The Tesla is amazing, i was in Redwood city the other day, and got a sneak peek. Its a green monster....too bad its gonna run over 100k...i hear all the silicon valley big fish and some movie stars have first dibs. someday...  

MazdaManiac86 MazdaManiac86
New User | Posts: 45 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 10/18/07
04:17 AM

I go to school at San Jose State, and have seen two Teslas on the road around here; one was dark green and the other was black.  It looks fantastic and goes like stink.  Yes, at $100k it's not cheap, but if you think about it, that's something of a bargain.  It accelerates faster than most supercars, will probably be usable as a daily driver, and never needs gas!  

There are only two problems I can see with this car: one is the low top speed of only 135 mph (which is still fast, but not compared with other cars in this class and price bracket).  I think this might have something to do with the fact that the Tesla currently has only two gears- I don't know why.  The other potential problem is replacement of the lithium ion batteries when they eventually die, and I have a bad feeling that the cost of replacing those batteries is going to be insanely expensive.  Frown

Hopefully if this car is a sales success the prices will come down, and I might eventually get to own one.  

I'd forgotten in my last post to mention that Automobile Mag did do a story on the Tesla back in November of '06, but the author spent very little time behind the wheel, and the car he drove was a pre-production model.  So I'm hoping a test drive of a finished product is coming up soon!  

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice