Automobile Forums  Where Car Enthusiasts Go to Discuss Cars Online

Rbdi 800X50Ad Tracking

Item Posts   

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Good Move Back to an Old Name?

| 
sfowle sfowle
Enthusiast | Posts: 507 | Joined: 05/06
Posted: 09/18/06
04:50 AM

In his article about the VW Rabbit, Marc Noordeloos writes, "Europeans think we're crazy. American buyers snap up the Volkswagen Jetta sedan over its hatchback Golf sibling ten to one. This is especially galling to those who know that the Golf offers more space for large items and is as good as the Jetta for carrying people. The late-arriving, fifth-generation Golf will be called the Rabbit, the U.S.-only moniker used for the first-generation Golf from 1975 to 1984. VW maintains that the Golf badge means little to Americans, whereas resurrecting the Rabbit nameplate gives VW a fun and creative opportunity for marketing the car."

Should Americans be thought of as crazy because Jettas sell like hotcakes and the Golf has never been a success? We think so. It makes much more sense for most peoples needs. And was the move back to the Rabbit nameplate a good one for VW?  

goosemoose goosemoose
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/22/08
06:11 AM

I love the Rabbit. our first car was the Rabbit 1982 diesel. it was a bit rough, as we bought it for $400. it was quick though. Getting into first gear on a hill was a nightmare for me not so much for my husband. I think the issues we had were just from bad maintenance or perhaps none at all. It was fun to drive apart from the hills in Seattle and the gas mileage was great even with the outdated engine compared to the 2008. i think we managed to get over 300 miles to the full tank although i can't remember how big the tank was, i'm sure people on here know. i think we even got 350 miles. Anyway i would love to get the new 2008 rabbit golf, feel free to donate.  

taildraggin taildraggin
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/26/08
05:43 PM

Europeans just think we're stupid (while repeatedly spending millions to try and capture our market).  

In reality, they can't catch both europe's market shifts and our own.  Europe will always be their priority, so north american efforts will always be late.

Hatchbacks are the mainstream ("can't get wrong") auto in the euro market.  Staggeringly unpopular here until recently, only now reawakening.  I say reawakening because they *were* popular here in the '80s, until cheap gas killed them.  That never happened in europe.

For example, I had a '84 civic.  Great car, but I never had another hatchback - F150 was my next 'car' after it...

Europe didn't catch that shift and created the 'world cars' (mom and dad want a top hatch, not an 'economy car') at about the time we started to once more diverge from them.  That effort muddled to near failure with most giving up and now they're missing the convergence, again.  The spotlight is once more on small, quality cars.  If I can't have a Tahoe, I'd like to have something at least fun to drive, like a GTi, Focus ST or moreso, the Civic i-CTDi.

Just as the market swings back to "Golf" (euro family car), VW rebadges it to mean '80s economy car - "Rabbit".

We might be exceedingly stupid, but they're missing market definition.  Again.  

Graduate, Rodan School of Automotive Design

Xml
Showbuyersguide Hide
Header Bg
Get a free and easy new car price quote in minutes
Button Seedealerprice